**Jazz Composers Collective Corner **

gdogus

How about a place to discuss the individual and collective work of the Jazz Composers Collective

Ben Allison

Frank Kimbrough

Michael Blake

Ted Nash

Ron Horton

The Herbie Nichols Project

...as well as...

Jeff Ballard

Matt Wilson

...and others involved in this organization. I really think these guys are putting out some of the most astonishing music to be heard these days. What say you all?

Okay...

I only discovered the work of the collective this year, myself, when I ran across The Herbie Nichols Project's Strange City. "Whoa!" sez I to myself, "Now what have we got going on here?!"

Which led me to bassist Ben Allison - Medicine Wheel, Third Eye, Riding the Nuclear Tiger, and Buzz struck me as fantastically shaped albums, quirky and rich.

And it also led me to pianist Frank Kimbrough - Chant, The Quickening, and Lullabluebye are remarkable modern piano trio albums. Allison and drummer Jeff Ballard play on Chant and The Quickening; Lullabluebye also features Allison, with Matt Wilson on drums.

Which led me to Matt Wilson's fine releases as a leader, particularly Arts & Crafts and Wake Up! (To What's Happening).

Wilson also plays on The Herbie Nichols Project's Strange City; so does Kimbrough. And Kimbrough plays on Allison's albums, too - as has Jeff Ballard, who was the drummer on the first two HNP albums. And Ron Blake plays with HNP. And Ted Nash, also. And Ron Horton.

And Allison, Kimbrough, Horton, and Wilson have all played on Blake's albums. Allison, Kimbrough and Wilson have also also appeared on Nash's albums, just as Nash, Horton, and Blake have played on Ben Allison's albums...

It's a wonderfully connected little world, the Jazz Composer's Collective - and they're making terrific music.

Edited by gdogus

I agree these guys are all top drawer. I wish I could see any of them live. Other jazz communities from NYC seem to get here across the pond but none of this lot.

Too many favourites here but... Ron Horton's FSNT is very good ( and hardly mentioned) all the Herbie Nichols project material and I've enjoyed Ben Allison's (Nuclear tiger, peace pipe and the latest one, not forgetting Blake's Elevation (?) on Knitting Factory. Humidity by Wilson...

ok you get the idea I really like this stuff...

Count me in as an admirer of these guys. "Riding the Nuclear Tiger" is an amazing album. I hope to pick up more CDs by these guys. Kimbrough's "Lullabluebye" and Horton's "Subtextures" are recent purchases that I can wholeheartedly recommend.

So far really only know these guys from the three Herbie Nichols Project discs (LOVE IS PROXIMITY, DR. CYCLOPS' DREAM, and STRANGE CITY)...and for Kimbrough, from a few sideman spots (a really fantastic one with Maria Schneider for example), and Wilson a single leader date (AS WAVE FOLLOWS WAVE, with Dewey Redman and Cecil McBee!) on Palmetto.

I really LIKE what I hear so far...those Nichols "tributes," so much deeper in every sense than the usual recording of that type, are excellent, if (IMHO) not quite up to the level of exploration and excitement established by Rudd and Mengelberg and Lacy.

I'm particularly fond of Horton and Kimbrough's playing based on those Nichols discs, but I am eager to explore stuff by all, including the much-vaunted Medicine Wheel stuff led by Allison.

Edited by DrJ

The Medicine Wheel stuff from Ben Allison is worthy of all the vaunting, I think. If you like the Herbie Nichols Project, you'll probably dig hearing most of the same musicians playing other material in Medicine Wheel - compositions by others as well as originals...

Herbie Nichols Project/Medicine Wheel overlap:

Ben Allison

Frank Kimbrough

Michael Blake

Ted Nash

Ron Horton

Jeff Ballard

Which means that these are quite nearly the same bands under different names, thoug Medicine Wheel is a good deal more adventurous, I thin, than HNP. Fabulous stuff.

I also want to plug Ted Nash's Still Evolved (Palmetto 2003), which features Allison, Kimbrough, and Matt Wilson - and (wait for it) ...Wynton Marsalis, who sounds terrific here. It's really a great record.

Edited by gdogus

JohnL, I am with you on Drift, which covers a lot of ground. I am finding myself picking up discs just because they have Matt Wilson on them. I've also picked up a couple of the Ben Allison discs which I seem to warm up to over repeated listenings.

For all you Herbie Nichols Project fans, try another take on this stuff by Buell Niedlinger, Blue Chopsticks on his k2b2 records.

Count me in as a supporter of Jazz Composers Collective cats. If you read Ben Allison's bio and look at his picture, you'd be amazed to see how young he looks for one, and then you'd be amazed that he's done all this incredible work well under the radar of people outside NYC and our little online enclave here. I personally own:

Medicine Wheel - the original Medicine wheel project with the green cover

Strange City - the third of the Herbie Nichols Project

Still Evolved - Ted Nash's latest on Palmetto (Wynton sounds really on the verge of good stuff at times - he is struggling with himself; I feel like he's trying to avoid saying anything that would contradict the conservative kind of playing he preaches)

Buzz - really nice latest JCC album also on Palmetto

I voted for Palmetto as Label of the Year for the DB readers poll. People should also check out Ray Vega's recent CD with Palmetto even if you dig Latin jazz.

I'm having a terrible time trying to find The Herbie Nichols Project's first tow albums on CD - Love is Proximity and Dr. Cyclops' Dream, both on the Soul Note label.

Any leads, folks?

d261811ge6o.jpg ... e44704qhctt.jpg

Try Downtown Music Gallery or OmniTone -- they usually carry Soul Note / Black Saint CDs.

I picked up the Dr. Cyclops at a Herbie Nichols Project concert at Lincoln Center.

Guy

Try Downtown Music Gallery or OmniTone -- they usually carry Soul Note / Black Saint CDs.

I picked up the Dr. Cyclops at a Herbie Nichols Project concert at Lincoln Center.

Guy

Thanks, Guy. The OmniTone site had both Love Is Proximity and Dr. Cyclops' Dream for $16.95 each - LIP seems dicey as far as shipping time goes - it may not really be in stock. I appreciate the tip!

Edited by gdogus

I'm a fan of these artists as well and interviewed Frank Kimbrough for a couple of programs this past autumn--one devoted to his new album, and another on the Herbie Nichols Project for Night Lights. You can listen to the HNP program here (the "listen to program" tab will take you to the Archives, where it's listed under "Herbie Nichols" for 9/25/2004).

Palmetto is to be commended for what they've done in the past few years. The artists on that label seem very happy to be there.

I'm a fan of these artists as well and interviewed Frank Kimbrough for a couple of programs this past autumn--one devoted to his new album, and another on the Herbie Nichols Project for Night Lights.  You can listen to the HNP program here (the "listen to program" tab will take you to the Archives, where it's listed under "Herbie Nichols" for 9/25/2004).

Palmetto is to be commended for what they've done in the past few years.  The artists on that label seem very happy to be there.

Really great program with Kimbrough, GoM, as I've said elsewhere. In addition to his trio recordings with Ben Allison and Jeff Ballard (or Matt Wilson), I've also really been enjoying his duet recordings with vibraphonist Joe Locke - Saturn's Child and Willow, on the OmniTone label.

And I agree that Palmetto is to be praised. Given its roster and the kind of music being produced by its artists lately, it may well be the most interesting jazz label out there right now, as far as I can see.

Edited by gdogus

My entry point into the Collective was Nuclear Tiger. I just took a chance based on a couple of reviews and was pleasantly surprised. Some Mingus and Ellington elements, but thoroughly contemporary and fresh. I dug Michael Blake's playing on the Tiger album, so from there it was on to 'Elevation' and 'Kingdom of Champa'--both are excellent. I think Blake's a wonderful writer--his compositions on Allison's albums always stand out to me. I don't know why Palmetto or some other label hasn't signed him. If I owned a label he'd be the second person I'd sign (after Billy Harper). Anyway, after the Tiger album I also picked up Allison's next two releases (Peace Pipe and Buzz)--both are top notch.

In the old days, I imagine, some of these compositions from JCC would already have the qualities of 'standards' in that other jazz musicians would be playing and recording them. It seems, unfortunately, that everyone wants to be a composer and there seems to be a reluctance sometimes to record something by a contemporary. imo

btw, Ghost I recently listened to your Moncur program, which was excellent. Looking forwrd to going back into the archives again, this time for the Nichols project. Thanks!

Hello, and many thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread. It's wonderful to see so many enthusiastic responses to our music. We recently returned from Brazil, where we did a JCC Festival in Sao Paulo with my Trio, Ted Nash and Still Evolved, Ben Allison's Medicine Wheel and Peace Pipe, Michael Blake Trio and the Herbie Nichols Project. We had a great time, and hope we can bring our travelling road show to your town soon!

Please visit our websites for more information on the Collective, our composers-in-residence, and our various activites.

Jazz Composers Collective website

Frank Kimbrough website

Ben Allison website

Ted Nash website

Michael Blake website

Some of our CDs are difficult to locate, as noted in some previous posts. I'm not sure what's happening with the Soul Note disks (HNP's "Love is Proximity", Dr. Cyclops' Dream, and my "Noumena" CD). Distribution for Soul Note has been strange for some time now. You may try to find them by contacting the JCC website - we may have a few of those titles on hand, and I'm sure there's info at the site. Otherwise, I'd suggest getting in touch with OmniTone, who has them in their catalog, though they may or may not have them in stock....also try North Country - Soul Note was working on a distribution deal with them, but I don't know for sure if it ever came to fruition. Ron Horton's latest disk in on FSNT, and was recently awarded a CHOC award by Jazzman magazine in France, but it's been difficult to find as well - try Tower Records website - I think you can find it there. Michael Blake's latest is self-produced (Blake Tartare) and is probably available from his site.

FYI, some of the guys have CDs in the can slated for release next year, including a new disk from Ted Nash and Odeon (Palmetto) and a new trio recording from Michael Blake (with Ben Allison and Jeff Ballard) on Clean Feed. I'm also hoping to have a new trio disk out next fall on Palmetto, though it's still in the planning stage.

Thanks again, and best wishes to all.....................FK

Edited by fkimbrough

I got the new Ron Horton FSNT from Cadence.

BTW it's superb.

jhoots - is that Subtextures? What's it like?

Yes it is.

Great quartet CD (Kimbrough, Ben Allison, Matt Wilson).

Starts with Andrew Hill's Cantarnos.

Includes 4 Horton originals & one by Frank Kimbrough. 2 classical interpretations (Messiaen & Chopin).

Fine playing by all.

I got the new Ron Horton FSNT from Cadence.

BTW it's superb.

jhoots - is that Subtextures? What's it like?

Yes it is.

Great quartet CD (Kimbrough, Ben Allison, Matt Wilson).

Starts with Andrew Hill's Cantarnos.

Includes 4 Horton originals & one by Frank Kimbrough. 2 classical interpretations (Messiaen & Chopin).

Fine playing by all.

Its a damn good album. I really like Horton's concepts.

• 7 months later...