What is your favorite brand of hotdog/frank??

wolff

Believe it or not, but the dogs and pizza they sell at Costco (in the stands outside the stores) are pretty damn good, though the quality may be regional.

For store-bought, we tend to stay away from the national brands, the Hebrew Nats being an exception. The Ralph's deli brand is also quite spicy and yummy...

The crew I used to work with would all drive over to Costco for lunch.

It was cheap and delicious. :g

I agree that a Sabrett 'dirty water dog' is very good, but two pages, replies from present & ex-New Yorkers and nary a mention of Nathan's?!!!! I assumed that somebody had made their way to Coney Island if they ever lived in NYC-EGADS! Go to Coney Island on a summer day and get a dog at Nathan's and experience hot dog heaven(Their fries are also fantastic). So many dogs have been cooked on the grill there that each dog gets a little extra special flavoring. Combined with the sea air, you have a taste sensation worthy of the gods! It is the Olympus of dogdom, the apex of tube steaks, the pinnacle of frank culture! They are also available in supermarkets, and are very good there, but they do not compare to Nathan's at Coney Island.

This might have to do with Nathan's going the franchise route, which deteriorated the product name and image. I'm glad to hear that the original Nathan's is still offering a tasty product.

Another up and comer on the NY hotdog scene si Papaya King. Excellent dogs.

Still, there's something intrinsically New York about walking up to an umbrella cart and getting "a dog" with mustard, sauerkraut, cooked onion, or relish. Last I checked, no chili dogs east of the Hudson.

The NYC hot dog vendors are geting firece competition from carts selling shish-kebabs, souvlaki, chicken pitas. NY is all about street food. I love that. I'm getting hurngry. ^_^

There is no hot dog at Nathan's as good as those at Katz on East Houston. New York doesn't really do good chili dogs, as far as I know. I can't buy one as good as I make em: skillet-grilled Oscar Meyer All Meat Wiener (pork and turkey), Hormel no-beans, diced onion, and Honey Cup. Grilled and buttered Friehoffer New England rolls help a lot, but if you can't, go with a Pepperidge Farm, heated til the crust is just slightly crispy. I married into a Jewish family, and so I have eaten mostly Hebrew National for 15 years, it's a terrific dog, but not suited to chili dogs, too dense and too spiced. The OMs are just perfect, porky and fluffy god knows what on the inside.

New Yorkers are lucky to have Hallo Berlin on 10th Ave / 43rd and on West 51st / 9th Ave, 10 varieties of German sausages grilled to perfection and served with hot mustard and red and white cabbage on a hard roll. Home fries too. I walk over on my lunch hour once a month a get a takeout tin. Heaven. You won't really be pining for any American hot dog, chili or otherwise, after a few of these. I started eating Hallo Berlin in '85 when it was still just a cart in front of the University Club. The place has achieved a cult following, as much for the rare German beers as for the food. You must try this place when you are in Manhattan.

NY  is all about street food.

That's because it costs $15 for a burger in freakin' TGI Friday's in Times Square. Yecch!

Only tourists go there anyway. In the spirit of New York - screw 'em :P:g

The carts in DC do sell chili dogs, some better than others. Which location in the country has the best chili dogs?

If you're ever in Buffalo, NY be sure to visit...

index-75years.jpg

Literally the best hot dogs in the FUCKING universe and beyond... :wub:

Back in my meat-eating days, I ate at Ted's a few times but could never understand why the place had such a cult-like following. It's a charcoal broiled hotdog on a bun. Couldn't I make these in my backyard?

Better by FAR was The Big Weiner, on Main Street around Lafayette. (Next to Record Theater -- both now closed.) Chili dogs and curly-q fries -- just a little bit hot -- :wub: .

I'm not often tempted to eat meat but if the Big Weiner were still open... :unsure:

Back in my meat-eating days, I ate at Ted's a few times but could never understand why the place had such a cult-like following. It's a charcoal broiled hotdog on a bun. Couldn't I make these in my backyard?

You might be able to cook a dog in the Ted's style, but there's surely more to it than that. Otherwise I'd never leave my grill alone!

Part of it is the Ted's sauce. Part of it is the kind of pickles they use (don't know the brand). A BIG part of it is their fries, which are properly eaten soaked in vinegar. Another big part is just the goddamed ambiance. The smell of charcoal and cooking hot dogs. The loganberry...

A big part of it, also, is the fact that my folks took me there when I was a kid.

When I was a teenager, I could put away TWO Ted's footlongs at a time. Tried that on a recent visit. I can't do it anymore. Sigh. :(

I agree that a Sabrett 'dirty water dog' is very good, but two pages, replies from present & ex-New Yorkers and nary a mention of Nathan's?!!!! I assumed that somebody had made their way to Coney Island if they ever lived in NYC-EGADS! Go to Coney Island on a summer day and get a dog at Nathan's and experience hot dog heaven(Their fries are also fantastic).

HELL YEAH, Philly!

The original Nathan's rules! That's where they have the famous hot dog eating contest every 4th of July. A scrawny Japanese kid has won the last 2 times, I think.

Japanese professional speed-eater Takeru "The Tsunami" Kobayashi destroyed the competition for the second consecutive year at the Nathan's Famous Fourth of July international hot dog eating contest, scarfing down 50½ hot dogs and buns in 12 minutes.

The 24-year-old Kobayashi, who weighed 113 pounds before the contest and almost 120 pounds after, bettered his 2001 world-record performance by half a hot dog despite having to fight off the 100-degree heat. He also covered the spread of Internet gamblers, who favored him to win by 20 hot dogs.

Me, I usually get 2 hot dogs with everything.

Matter of fact I'll scoot over there this afternoon after work. Nothing tastes as delicious as a good kosher hot dog to this New Yorker.

There is no hot dog at Nathan's as good as those at Katz on East Houston. New York doesn't really do good chili dogs, as far as I know. I can't buy one as good as I make em: skillet-grilled Oscar Meyer All Meat Wiener (pork and turkey), Hormel no-beans, diced onion, and Honey Cup. Grilled and buttered Friehoffer New England rolls help a lot, but if you can't, go with a Pepperidge Farm, heated til the crust is just slightly crispy. I married into a Jewish family, and so I have eaten mostly Hebrew National for 15 years, it's a terrific dog, but not suited to chili dogs, too dense and too spiced. The OMs are just perfect, porky and fluffy god knows what on the inside.

New Yorkers are lucky to have Hallo Berlin on 10th Ave / 43rd and on West 51st / 9th Ave, 10 varieties of German sausages grilled to perfection and served with hot mustard and red and white cabbage on a hard roll. Home fries too. I walk over on my lunch hour once a month a get a takeout tin. Heaven. You won't really be pining for any American hot dog, chili or otherwise, after a few of these. I started eating Hallo Berlin in '85 when it was still just a cart in front of the University Club. The place has achieved a cult following, as much for the rare German beers as for the food. You must try this place when you are in Manhattan.

I don't know if he still does it, but the guy from Hallo Berlin also had a cart right near MOMA, and his sausages are GREAT!!!!!!