FRANK ISOLA RIP

domo1129

Steve Voce posted the following message to the jazz-westcoast list today.

The least known of the drum giants, Frank Isola, died yesterday in a

Veterans' Hospital in Detroit.

Anyone familiar with the Stan Getz Quintet or the Gerry Mulligan Quartet

that included Bob Brookmeyer will be familiar with Frank's work. He was a

rhythm section genius and one of the least obtrusive drummers of them all.

It's not for nothing that Peggy Lee, Claude Thornhill, Elliot Lawrence and

others hired Frank He recorded with Charlie Parker and Helen Merrill. When

Mose Allison made his first record under his own name he had Frank on drums.

It turned out to be Frank's last.

When Tommy Dorsey wanted a drummer whilst in New York he had his manager

call Frank. As Bill Crow recalls, Frank thought for a bit and then said 'No

thanks. Tell Tommy I'm not in a sentimental mood...'

Steve Voce

:mellow:

Sad to hear this. Isola was indeed a drums great.

Was listening yesterday to the Stan Getz at the Shrine album. His playing on that one was as swinging as it was efficient.

Heard Isola at one of the first concerts I attended when he was with the Gerry Mulligan quartet (with Bob Brookmeyer and Red Mitchell) at the Salon du Jazz in Paris back in 1954!

Didn't Frank also record with Monk? I think so.

The online Jazz Discography Project doesn´t list so. I don´t have access to my Lord CD-Rom here, but will check it tonight.

But he was in Stan Getz´s rhythm section when recording "Round midnight":

Stan Getz Quintet:

Stan Getz - tenor, Hall Overton - piano, Jimmy Raney - guitar, Red Mitchell - bass, Frank Isola - drums.

Recorded April 23, 1953 and released on Stan Getz: Jazz Classics. (5'15)

[from The Thelonius Monk website

Looks like Gerry Mulligan jammed with some of the musicians that were at the Salon du Jazz. The Salon was held at the Salle Pleyel. The main entrance of the Salle Pleyel had been decorated to resemble a street of New Yorleans. That's were some jam sessions took place. Mulligan played on a number of occasions with other musicians, including Monk.

That's obviously the source of that Isola-Monk connection. But there is no indication that Isola joined that jam.

Monk had French bassist Jean-Marie Ingrand and drummer Jean-Louis Vialle in his trio during his Salon appearances.

I met Frank once in Detroit in the late 70's/early 80's .. I since had wondered what ever happened to him..

Here's a funny Frank Izola story. There was a fundraiser I attended at I believe Cafe Detroit, organized by some local musicians to help Frank pay off a rather large debt of unpaid traffic tickets..

Frank is no doubt probably up there somewhere hangin' out with the likes of Barett Deems, Guy Viverose, Davey Tough, J C Heard, Gene Krupa, Art Blakey, Philly Joe Jones, Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Buddy Rich, Art Mardigan, and a long list of many other great jazz drummers of lesser and greater notoriety who continue to inspire many.. They have left us with a rich legacy of rhythmic innovations.. May they all along with Frank Izola, rest in peace and never be forgotten.