Fred Anderson

EKE BBB

Speaking of Fred, I think the cover for this is a mere 20. I will be making the trip to Chicago for this.

minew

Dear Friends of the Velvet Lounge:

Thanks to all who attended and contributed to the Velvet LoungeBenefit this past Sunday at the Hothouse (or contributed on the website)—it was a beautiful day of music and raised several thousand dollars for the cause.  A special thanks also goes out to the Hothouse, Marguerite and her staff, and to all the musicians who donated their time and artistry.

The following is a partial list of musicians who have agreed to appear at the second benefit, Friday night May 27, at the Velvet Lounge itself:

Fred Anderson, David Boykin Expanse, Nicole Mitchell Black Earth, Henry Grimes, Corey Wilkes, Ed Wilkerson, Douglas Ewart, Mwata Bowden, Tatsu Aoki, Michael Zerang, Dushun Mosley, Jabari Liu, the Gam Squad, Dennis Winslett, Jim Baker, Dan Godston, Isaiah Spencer, Isaiah Jackson, Rob Pleshar, Malachi Thompson, and others.

Sincerely,

Stuart Mann

JazzMann Consulting

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred was featured as "Someone You Should Know" on today's local Chicago news -- it's available here for the next 5 days:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/someone/06...d_anderson.html

Also, some excellent news for those who have never been able to see this phenomenal trio in person (esp. within the confines of those Velvet walls... and wallpaper!):

July 13 & 14 @ Velvet Lounge:

Delmark DVD Recording with Fred Anderson, Harrison Bankhead, and Hamid Drake

donate:

http://www.velvetlounge.net/

Fred was featured as "Someone You Should Know" on today's local Chicago news -- it's available here for the next 5 days:

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/someone/06...d_anderson.html

Also, some excellent news for those who have never been able to see this phenomenal trio in person (esp. within the confines of those Velvet walls... and wallpaper!):

July 13 & 14 @ Velvet Lounge: 

Delmark DVD Recording with Fred Anderson, Harrison Bankhead, and Hamid Drake

donate:

http://www.velvetlounge.net/

The dates for the delmark recording have now been changed to Tue & We 12 & 13.

Edited by uli

Great timing, as I just saw Fred live on Sunday night with William Parker and Hamid Drake.  It was a fantastic show.  Michael Ehlers was on tour with them and has been recording the shows, so, hopefully, one of them will be released eventually.

"Eventually" will be August 2nd. Eremite is releasing a 2cd set called Blue Winter, of the entire Johnson State College show (the show I mentioned attending back in December.)

• 2 weeks later...

Available now on Eremite:

47_175.jpg

"recorded 12 december, 2004, dibden center for the arts, johnson, vt

blue winter is a milestone achievement in the great career of one of the stalwarts of the tenor saxophone, fred anderson. an exponent of the illustrious chicago heavyweight tenor tradition that includes his contemporaries gene ammons, johnny griffin, john gilmore & von freeman, anderson spent decades as a family man & bar owner before starting to seriously tour & record in the nineties. born 1929 in monroe, louisiana, anderson migrated to chicago in 1940, where he devoted many years of study to the music of lester young, coleman hawkins, & charlie parker. in 1964 anderson co-founded the seminal chicago musicians' organization the association for the advancement of creative musicians (AACM). the strength & individuality of his playing in early AACM ensembles with muhal richard abrams, joseph jarman, & henry threadgill earned anderson the nickname "the lone prophet of the prairie." on blue winter, anderson is joined by one of the premier rhythm sections in any music genre, william parker & hamid drake. the two-cd set features an impeccably recorded complete concert performance from the trio's 2004 northeast tour."

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally took a "real" listen to the "Milwaukee Tapes". Oh, MAN! Killer stuff. UNreal. :excited:

I have "Back Together Again" and "On the Run" from eMusic. Soon I will also DL "Dark Day", which I assume is just a smokin' as the Milwaukee set.

Those of you who have followed him, how would you compare his 60s/70s playing with now?

Not sure if the news has arrived in the english-speaking part of cyber world yet:

I04f.jpg

This is the Willisau recording of the Schweizer-Anderson-Drake trio from August 2004. 45 minutes of it were on Swiss Radio (and I shared those some time ago on dime - take that off of your trade-lists now, willya!).

Quite a good set, in my opinion! The CD is called "Willisau & Taktlos" - I am not sure if the trio appeared at Taktlos, but I think not, since the Willisau concert was the first meeting of Schweizer and Anderson, as far as I know. Thus the Taktlos part may be from the Schweizer-Drake duo set a few years back (also on the radio, and pretty great!).

It will be out somewhen in 2006, but I don't know yet, when exactly. Intakt has usually got 6 releases per year, and three others (George Lewis - mentioned elsewhere on Big-O -, Trio 3, and Saadet Türköz) are up on their site as upcoming, too, so it could take a while till this will be out.

Those photos EKE posted above (they have vanished now, it seems) were shot at this very concert, btw.

Edited by king ubu

• 4 years later...