Dexter Gordon Steeplechase box set

I know there was a post about this a while back, but I really didn't see too many opinions about it. I don't have any of this material, and am seriously considering buying this set. Does anyone have it, and if so, could you share opinions about the material, sound, packaging, etc..?? How is Dexter's music from this period??

Sal, I just sent you an email.

This is a great set! I really like the sound, very natural and clear remastering. And the playing. . . Dex is great here of course, but it's NHOP I keep listening for. That guy was playing amazingly with Dex! They had a rapport that I think brought out the best of each.

Sal,

What Lon said and more. The music here is constantly great. I mean, what can you say about Dex. NHOP was a real relevation for me as was Alex Riel and Tete Montoliu, artists I never had a chance to listen to. I have been listening to Discs 7 and 8 in the last day or so and am really loving A La Modal and Skylark. I'm finding that all of his SteepleChase material very enjoyable.

The packaging is nice and compact and the book has a lot of nice photos and the text, while not offering great insights into the music, is good. At the back of the book, there are reminisences of some of the musicians who worked with Dex as well as bios of Dex's sidemen (although I'm not sure sideman is the right term for people like Barry Harris, Billy Higgins, NHOP or Horace Parlan; these guys are giants) on the sessions.

Edited by Brad

Get it ! Brad and Lon are spot on in their assessments. Dexter's Steeplechase years were fabulous, in my opinion. My favorite Dex is the Blue Note 60s material, but this material is right behind it. It's a must have if you're a Dexter fan.

I have been listening to Discs 7 and 8 in the last day or so and am really loving A La Modal and Skylark.

OK, maybe its just me, but isn't "A La Modal" lifted from another tune? I can''t put my finger on it, but I swear it sounds sooooo familiar ...

I have this one and love it, love it, love it.

I'm, however, not so sure if I should recommend this to others. One thought leads me to believe this would only be for those who cannot get enough of Dexter. Then again, a box like this could be better for those who are only marginally familiar with the man--that is, those who have not reached the saturated point in terms of having enough Dexter.

Again, I love it, love it, love it.

By the way, Lonson, I never got your e-mail. I think something is wrong though, because several people have sent me stuff (or at least claimed to) that I have never received. Must be the transition of my cable company to Comcast.