Sideways

I saw Sideways and enjoyed it immensely. I thought it was well-acted, well-written, fun and interesting. All the things a good movie should be.

I laughed at the scene, although subtle and short, where the main character, a wine connoisseur, goes apeshit when he believes he might have to drink some merlot. :lol:

A very enjoyable two hours spent at the movie theater. Sideways is on my list of top two or three movies of the year 2004.

I laughed at the scene, although subtle and short, where the main character, a wine connoisseur, goes apeshit when he believes he might have to drink some merlot.  :lol:

Yes, that was funny. My wife and I both like merlot, too- we didn't realize it was an "uncool" wine! :o Oh well.

This film made me want to become more of a wine connoisseur. :)

Yeah, I really liked this as well. Not at all what I expected given the director's previous outings (Citizen Ruth, Election, About Schmidt) but great all the same. By the way, it's interesting to note that this is the first film he has made that wasn't set in Omaha, Nebraska.

I sincerely hope that after the success of American Splendor and this one that Paul Giamatti gets more work. He deserves it.

I saw this recently and LOVED it. Wonderful acting on all counts and VERY funny. It certainly could be about any kind of obsessive fandom (like jazz collecting, for example) not just wine. How many of us would go as apeshit over having to listen to David Sanborn or Grover Washington as Miles (!) does over drinking Merlot?

Remember: Don't drink and dial! :g

Hate to be the skunk at the garden party, but I was pretty underwhelmed by Sideways. Don't get me wrong, Paul Giamatti is wonderful, but man, I really didn't want to spend so much time with such a depressed schlub. The film doesn't really get going until he dumps the spit bucket on his head. The general skewering of wine snobs was very funny (I don't want to drink any goddam merlot, either...), but generating any sympathy for these two losers was an uphill proposition for me.

Hate to be the skunk at the garden party, but I was pretty underwhelmed by Sideways. Don't get me wrong, Paul Giamatti is wonderful, but man, I really didn't want to spend so much time with such a depressed schlub. The film doesn't really get going until he dumps the spit bucket on his head. The general skewering of wine snobs was very funny (I don't want to drink any goddam merlot, either...), but generating any sympathy for these two losers was an uphill proposition for me.

See, I don't think you're MEANT to sympathize with them. You're meant to laugh at them. I know that being a person fairly like Miles (aspiring writer, English teacher, depressive, on medication, short, paunchy, balding, obsessive jazz connoisseur instead of wine connoisseur) most of the laughs were of recognition. "Hey, that guy's just like me! How funny!" Thomas Hayden Church, on the other hand, was the kind of unselfconcious schmuck I could never be (and wouldn't want to be).

I was very pleased with this film as it turned out to be somewhat better than I expected. I'd heard that Sideways was less satirical and more "mainstream" than Payne's other films, so I'd reigned in my expectations a bit. The result was I enjoyed it a Hell of a lot. Now I'm trying to get my wife to go see it.

The Giamatti character just seemed normal to me. ;)

Just got home from seeing Sideways, and I really enjoyed it. Definitely one of the better movies I've seen this year. My wife liked it, and said it was good, but didn't understand why everyone loved it so much.

For me, I just connected with the movie, and especially the characters, nearly the whole way through. Everything made sense (meaning all of it "rang true" for me), and I loved the unexpected depth of the characters, which you wouldn't have necessarily expected from them.

Also, the "Miles" character reminded me a lot of a former college roommate of mine (who -- oddly enough -- was also an English major, and an aspiring author, hmmm..... :huh: ).

Two thumbs up from me. :tup:tup

Edited by Rooster_Ties

For me, I just connected with the movie, and especially the characters, nearly the whole way through.  Everything made sense (meaning all of it "rang true" for me), and I loved the unexpected depth of the characters, which you wouldn't have necessarily expected from them.

Me, too. That's the scary part.

Maybe that's the difference between those who like the film and those who don't. It's the level of connection. (maybe age, too)

• 3 months later...

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. There was actual depth of character, nobody was blown to bits and there were no car chases. How remarkable these days-a movie that tells a story and is about people. What a concept!

Edited by PHILLYQ

I agree with PhillyQ, funny character development and dialogue. Some laugh out loud moments, mostly involving the embarassment of the lead characters. It's that I Love Lucy/George Costanza type stuff...I can barely look at the screen!

Very interesting character development and a couple of sly twists. I felt manipulated a couple of times but that was ok. The sum was much better than the parts. As we left the theater I heard the guy behind me say "That's the worst movie I ever saw". Geez, it contained sex and a car crash - wtf did he want?

In the news: Sandra Oh has filed for divorce from Alexander Payne. B-)

She's out there guys.

Finally saw this last Friday. Not sure why it took so long, but maybe it proves the old adage that good things come to those who wait. Bottom line, a very entertaining movie. It's so peculiar these days to actually see something that's geared to adults. An intelligent script, with a good story and actual character development is so rare these days, that I hardly know how to deal with it. I saw this as a coming of age movie...the guy just happened to be in his '50's. Music was OK too, provided by some aggregation called "The Sideways Jazz Orchestra." I also like the deliberately inconclusive ending.

Interestingly enough, I have a friend who really knows wine, so I asked him if the Giamatti character was really on the ball. He said mostly, yes, but he did point out a couple of inconsistencies. First of all, if you recall the winery they toured when they first hit the Valley. Miles makes a reference to the nose of asparagus in one of the wines they're tasting. My friend tells me that that's one of the last things any vintner wants to hear. Apparently, that's not a good trait. It can actually happen when a wine is starting to turn. Also that special 1961 he was keeping for just the right occasion to drink with just the right person is about 5% Merlot. I'm sure you'll vividly recall Miles' distaste for that particular variety.

Wish Hollywood would make more movies like this. Maybe not Oscar caliber, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James