Sammy Gone A Corkin'

One of baseball's greatest home-run hitters was ejected Tuesday -- for a corked bat. The Cubs' Sammy Sosa was tossed when umpires found the illegal cork in his shattered bat in the first inning against Tampa Bay.

If being pumped full of steroids enough to look like the incredible hulk isn't enough - he needs cork in his bat, too? :rolleyes:

Yet another reason why I've given up on following MLB. For Sammy to say that he inadvertantely used a corked bat, that was only intended to be used during pregame batting practice is preposterous. "All" ball players know their bats like the back of their hands. Knucklebean!

I too was disappointed to hear about the corked bat. But, in extenuation of Sammy, I would point to the fact that the guy was seriously beaned in a game about a month or so ago, and hasn't been the same since. I suspect Sammy has been feeling somewhat desparate lately and resorted to the cork bat to jump start his hitting. I saw the game in which Sammy was beaned. I thought at the time that, even though not critically injured, that it might be the end of his hitting prowess. Few batters ever regain the edge that they once had after a beaning. Here's hoping Sammy regains his old form- he was a lot of fun to watch. And the Cubs need all the help they can get!

Sammy says he was accidentally using a "practice bat" that he uses during BP to wow the crowds. Huh? :blink::wacko:

A news guy on the radio said that this expanation indicates that Sammy would rather come off as a dummy than as a cheat. The whole thing is sordid and sad. This will be a hell of an asterisk in his record.

I don't think the excuse holds water at all. First off, corked bats don't belong in the dugout at all. Secondly, he has 300 or 400 bats in the clubhouse, and 70+ in the dugout, and he just *happens* to pick the *one* that's corked during a game? Last but far from least, players know their bats incredibly well. The whole point of corking a bat is to lighten up the barrel (and the barrel only) in order to increase the bat speed. There's NO way I believe that Sammy couldn't tell the difference between one of his corked and uncorked bats from just taking a quick practice swing. Players become sensitive to even minute variations in weight distribution from bat to bat, to the point where they will reject some bats of their own model (no two wood bats are exacltly alike). I don't buy it for one second.

The MLB cops were in house, since the Yankees will be in town this weekend, and they ran to the clubhouse and confiscated all of Sammy's 72 bats. After inspection they say the bats are all fine. Mr. Sosa's excuse holds water.

Stick it where the sun don't shine!

I doubt it. First of all, it takes a little bit of time & effort to make these things. If someone is making 'em for you, they probably aren't just making one at a time for you. Since bats routinely break, you'd want to be in a position to replace a busted one in short order......I suspect that he orders up a couple of 'em at a time and has a few spares sitting in his house. The other thing is that if you were using a corked bat just to 'show off' to fans, then you'd make damn sure that it was marked with an "X" or something so that you could tell it apart from the others. It wasn't marked for a reason.

The other thing is that if you were using a corked bat just to 'show off' to fans, then you'd make damn sure that it was marked with an "X" or something so that you could tell it apart from the others. It wasn't marked for a reason.

Another very good point.