IT'S HERE!!

scottb

I have a way to get a little extra cash on occasion. Not much, maybe $30 to $50 dollars every 4-6 months. I have a deal with my wife that this can supplement my CD budget (which is ridiculously low by this board's standards)

Anyway, the point is that I made a big hit and suddenly I've got $300 to play with. So let me hear some recs!

Just so you know, I'm more a collector of Blue Note than of jazz music in general. (This is how I try to limit my addiction) I've got just about all the RVGs, most of the in print Conns that I want, most of the Mosaic Selects that I want and have still been able to swear off the big Moasaics (so please don't tempt me with one of those)

I will probaly get a few RVGs I don't have and a few selections off B3ers top organ discs that I don't have (can't tell you which ones because he's being pretty harsh over there on that thread, he might ban me!)

SEARCH FOR THE NEW LAND, SAN FRANCISCO (Bobby Hutcherson), and THE PRISONER are on the way. No one had any comments about the Hutcherson but I decided to pull the trigger anyway based on the sound clips.

Well, you might want to hold out a month or two if you can. Not a dud in the batch, any many are essential:

February 2005 RVGS

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul 07243 864472 2 7

Tina Brooks - True Blue 07243 864473 2 6

Art Blakey - A Night In Tunisia 07243 864474 2 5

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C 07243 864475 2 4

Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage 07243 864476 2 3

Pete La Roca - Basra 07243 864477 2 2

March 2005 RVGs

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer 07243 864467 2 5

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child 07243 864468 2 4

Sonny Clark - Dial S For Sonny 07243 864469 2 3

Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love 07243 864470 2 9

Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit 07243 864471 2 8

Horace Silver - And The Jazz Messengers 07243 864478 2 1

OK, If I preorder all 12 Feb/March RVGs, (which is a great idea and exactly what I will do) That still leaves me $130 or so, plus my usual CD budget!

The problem I have is that a lot CDs I have my eye on, I fear might get the RVG treatment and them I have to upgrade. This has happened to me more times than I care to admit. I think that if I rebought The Gigolo the cosmic forces would probably have it RVG'd.

Here's a list of ones I've had my eye on for a while:

Blues Walk

Gravy Train

Leapin' And Lopin'

Crazy Baby

Cornbread

Caramba

Peckin Time

The Big Beat

Any of these unlikely to get RVG'd?

Just a friendly suggestion...

You might pass on Hank Mobley's "Hi Voltage" in February, and maybe pick it up sometime down the road. Half of its six tracks are pretty darn good, but most of us can probably do without the other half (including two throw-away pop covers, half-heartedly done according to some, and I'm inclined to agree)-- especially if you have other spending priorities.

I love "Hi-Voltage" and will definitely upgrade it when the RVG comes out.

It appears as if BN will reissue just about everything. It bothers me a bit that Conns are getting remastered when they were sold at high prices originally; but then I suppose I wouldn't buy the remasterings if I didn't think it worth it on balance. So I guess I do appreciate the fact that they are being remastered.

Blues Walk

Gravy Train

Leapin' And Lopin'

Crazy Baby

Cornbread

Caramba

Peckin Time

The Big Beat

Big Beat's probably up later in 2005, from what I've heard. Blues Walk is worth going ahead and buying, as is Cornbread- I bet they sell so well now that it's a not-broke-don't-fix thing. Peckin' time is sweet too, as is Leapin' and Lopin'.

I'd be on those 4 like white on rice if I were you...

So far:

$310

- 35 for San Francisco, The Prisoner, SFTNL

- 15 for previous BMG order

- 57 for Feb RVGs (order placed!)

- 57 for Mar RVGs (as soon as I can)

-------------------------------------

$ 146 left to play with.

Edited by scottb

Depending on your tastes, you might consider holding back (in reserve), like $40 or so for the Andrew Hill Mosaic Select due out in March.

Hey, come to think of it, do you already have Hill's "Passing Ships" yet??? If not, you NEED it!!! (Seriously!!!)

IMHO, "Passing Ships" is THE Andrew Hill BN release to own, for those who aren't really into his more "progressive" side. "Passing Ships" is still a bit progressive, here and there, but it also grooves a HELL of a lot too!!!! :tup:tup:tup:tup:tup

Then you can always wait-and-see what the collective board reaction is to the Hill Select when it comes out -- and then decide if it's worth your time/money, after a bunch of us here have gone ape-shit over it. (Cuz you know that there's gonna be like a dozen of us here that are gonna pre-order that sucker the first chance we get!!! :excited: )

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Get the fabulous Ornette Coleman trio discs At the Golden Circle Stockholm, vol 1 & 2, awesome bass playing too. Among my favorite BNs: the great Blakey titles incl in the Mosaic set and Indestructible and Free for All, Blue Train, Joe Henderson titles, and (Paul) Chambers' Music. And get into Impulse!, too much great Mingus and Coltrane to ignore!

I've got a few Coltrane titles on Impulse and have been thinking about CRESCENT for some time now.

When it comes to Mingus, I am lacking. I only have MINGUS AH UM. (don't shoot me! Just make a rec about my next mingus)

I've got The Golden Circle discs and to be honest I donit get it yet. I give a listen every once in a while. I have about 15 Blakey titles, the Chambers Select, of course BLUE TRAIN and all the Hendersons which have been RVG'd.

Edited by scottb

As I said before, please do not tempt my weak self control with Mosaic sets. I would love the Donaldson set as well as the Morgan, Parlan, Blakey, Blue Mitchell, Grant Green, Mobley, Jimmy Smith, Joe Pass, Django (get the picture?)

Well, you only have to worry about the Mobley, Parlan, Joe Pass and Django sets since the rest are OOP and since only Mobley and Parlan are BN, you only have to worry about those two. I'd go for the Mobley if you don't have the individual albums.

I'll second the suggestion for Mingus' "Passions of a Man" box set.

If that's too much $, I'd highly recommend The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.

I picked up the above around the time that my collection was still heavily weighted with Blue Note RVGs. Nothing wrong with that of course, but the Mingus stuff was a real eye (and ear) opener!