Dizzy Gillespie

Late

Between the Savoy and RCA boxes, I think you pretty much have Diz's studio recordings covered through the early '50's.

As leader, yeah. But as sideman?

Nooooooooooooooooooooo.....

Plenty of fun left! ;)

True, although on some of the Savoy box sessions Diz is officially listed as a sideman. But is there a compilation that brings together most or all of his recordings as sideman?

BTW, I'm listening to the Dee Gee sessions in the Savoy box now (end of Disc Two and all of Disc Three). I had forgotten how great they are, and how great the sound is. :tup:w

Edited by Ron S

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cd that Brownie is really excellent, one of the better pickups that I've made. There is also Dizzy Gillespie and his Sextets & Orchestra on Musicraft (MVSCD-53) but I think it's long out of print. I'm not that wild about the RCA set. What I much prefer in its place is Afro, released as part of the Verve LPR series. That one should be definitely around.

The cd that Brownie is really excellent, one of the better pickups that I've made.  There is also Dizzy Gillespie and his Sextets & Orchestra on Musicraft (MVSCD-53) but I think it's long out of print.  I'm not that wild about the RCA set.  What I much prefer in its place is Afro, released as part of the Verve LPR series.  That one should be definitely around.

There are 6 Musicraft Sextet and 9 Musicraft Orchestra tracks in the Savoy box. I assume they're some or all of the ones on the Musicraft CD you're talking about.

Edited by Ron S

The cd that Brownie is really excellent, one of the better pickups that I've made.  There is also Dizzy Gillespie and his Sextets & Orchestra on Musicraft (MVSCD-53) but I think it's long out of print.  I'm not that wild about the RCA set.  What I much prefer in its place is Afro, released as part of the Verve LPR series.  That one should be definitely around.

There are 6 Musicraft Sextet and 9 Musicraft Orchestra tracks in the Savoy box. I assume they're some or all of the ones on the Musicraft CD you're talking about.

I checked and everything that's on Musicraft is on Odyssey, which is a great 3 cd set.

All of the 20 tracks from the Musicraft cd are included in the recent Savoy set.  The Guild label was purchased by Musicraft so you have to count them as well.

In that case, there are a total of 22 Musicraft/Guild tracks in the Savoy Odyssey box--2 more than the Musicraft CD. Plus those great Dee Gee tracks (among others)! :tup I definitely prefer the Savoy Odyssey box to the RCA box, but for completeness you need them both.

Edited by Ron S

In that case, there are a total of 22 Musicraft/Guild tracks in the Savoy Odyssey box--2 more than the Musicraft CD

The others are sideman recordings from other Musicraft records.

Actually, only one of them is listed as being from a sideman session (Boyd Raeburn Orchestra). The other 21 are all listed as from Gillespie-leader sessions. (Right about now we need that cool beating-a-dead-horse emoticon from the AAJ Board.) :blink:

Late, I hope you have the earlier big band recordings too -- available nowadays in the Savoy set.

I don't, but have a feeling I will some time in the not-so-distant future ...

Five years ago, the RCA set left me somewhat cold. Don't know why. Now I'm gaga over it. Last night in the car (by myself, thankfully) I was calling out "Manteca!"

I'm listening to the Savoy set ("Dizzy Gillespie: Odyssey 1945-1952") right this second, having recently listened to the RCA set also. Both are Keepnews productions. The sound on the Savoy is quite inconsistent, but seems to have been subject to less noise reduction than the RCA set. :tup

It's actually a great compliment to the RCA set though, filling in the mid-'40's stuff with Bird and Slim Gaillard, for example, and miscellaneous early-50's Dee Gee material (in great sound, and including early Coltrane on both Alto and Tenor in a 1951 session). One thing I really prefer in the Savoy (and other Savoy boxes I own) over the RCA box are the track listings, which include all the personnel and discographic info with the track listings in one place, so you don't have to keep flipping back and forth to correlate the discography with the track number and title.

Between the Savoy and RCA boxes, I think you pretty much have Diz's studio recordings covered through the early '50's. Then again, you won't see ME posting in the Discography forum any time soon, and I stand to be easily corrected. :unsure:

You can see the tracks and personnel in the Savoy box here.

The RCA and the Savoy CDs togther are missing a few sessions by Diz under his name from the 1940s: The session where he recorded the first version of "Salt Peanuts", plus "Good Bait", "I Can't Get Started", and "Bebop"; the session with the first version of "Groovin' High" (the same session where he recorded "Blues 'n' Boogie"--but Keepnews kept "Groovin' High" off the Savoy disc because it was "sonically inferior"; a sesson from LA where he and Bags et al did "Dynamo", "Diggin' for Diz", "Round Midnight", "When I Get to Old to Dream", and "Confirmation" (a great session, but Bags sounds like he's playing milk bottles); and a four tune session with strings. This is from memory, so I am sure I screwed something up somewhere.

In that case, there are a total of 22 Musicraft/Guild tracks in the Savoy Odyssey box--2 more than the Musicraft CD

Actually, only one of them is listed as being from a sideman session (Boyd Raeburn Orchestra). The other 21 are all listed as from Gillespie-leader sessions. (Right about now we need that cool beating-a-dead-horse emoticon from the AAJ Board.) :blink:

IM000044.jpg

Between the Savoy and RCA boxes, I think you pretty much have Diz's studio recordings covered through the early '50's.  Then again, you won't see ME posting in the Discography forum any time soon, and I stand to be easily corrected. :unsure:

The RCA and the Savoy CDs togther are missing a few sessions by Diz under his name from the 1940s: The session where he recorded the first version of "Salt Peanuts", plus "Good Bait", "I Can't Get Started", and "Bebop"; the session with the first version of "Groovin' High" (the same session where he recorded "Blues 'n' Boogie"--but Keepnews kept "Groovin' High" off the Savoy disc because it was "sonically inferior"; a sesson from LA where he and Bags et al did "Dynamo", "Diggin' for Diz", "Round Midnight", "When I Get to Old to Dream", and "Confirmation" (a great session, but Bags sounds like he's playing milk bottles); and a four tune session with strings. This is from memory, so I am sure I screwed something up somewhere.

No, that's it (for the pre-1949 sessions anyway). The 1945 Manor session (Dizzy's important first leader session, with Don Byas on tenor) and the rejected version of Groovin' High (with Dexter instead of Bird), as well as the 1946 Dial sessions and the 1946 Paramount strings session (which was quickly withdrawn originally!) are available on Classics.

Belonging to the period covered by these box sets are also the 1949-1950 Capitol sessions (his last with the big band), the 1950 Prestige session, and the 1952 Atlantic session, which was recorded before the last Dee Gee session. There are also plenty of Vogue and Blue Star sessions recorded in Paris 1952 before the last Dee Gee session. All of it is included in the Classics series which is at 1953 (and will remain so?).

I count 20 Guild/Musicraft Gillespie sides - wwere there alternate takes?

IM000044.jpg

Alan,

I live in Philly (I get your Philly Jazz newsletter--thanks for that), and I've NEVER seen nor heard of Dead Horse Summit. Obviously, your continual Lance-Armstrong-Wannabe cavorting up and down it has "beat" it down to sea level. :g

Then again, you won't see ME posting in the Discography forum any time soon, and I stand to be easily corrected. :unsure:

Now, wasn't that easy? :D

I count 20 Guild/Musicraft Gillespie sides - wwere there alternate takes?

IF you're counting the 20 Guild/Musicraft sides on the Musicraft CD, and IF I've correctly identified the track listing for that CD (that's probably 2 "IF'S" too many), the 2 additional sides in the Savoy Odyssey box are (1) "Interlude (A Night in Tunisia)," from a January 1945 Guild session as sideman with the Boyd Raeburn Orchestra, and (2) "A Hand Fulla Gimme," from the May 15, 1946 Musicraft session as leader of the Dizzy Gillespie Sextet.

All of it is included in the Classics series which is at 1953 (and will remain so?).

What does that mean? Are some new EU rules putting Classics and their bastard cousins out of business for post-1953 material?

Starting in 1989 Classics has released a monthly batch of five jazz titles and not missed once in 15 years. But after the August 2004 batch nothing new has come out. The announced upcoming 1380-1384 batch has been hanging in the air for many months now. I also noted the following statement on crazyjazz.co.uk:

"A significant number of Chronological Classics titles have now gone out of print."

which isn't a good sign either, since they used to be all available.

Meanwhile the Blues & Rhythm series that they started some years ago has continued to come out with its monthly four titles, so it's not like the label is entirely dead. I hope it's just a temporary hiatus for the jazz series, but fear that it's worse. Without an official website it's difficult to know what's going on. Perhaps someone in France knows more?

My apologies for wandering off topic but years ago I had a Dizzy big band album that was recorded live and the one thing that stuck with me besides Dizzy's playing was a great Baritone solo by Cecil Payne. Does this ring a bell and if so does anybody know where it can be obtained?

Assume you are thinking of the Dizzy Gillespie and his Big Band in Concert that came out on GNP Crescendo! That one:

http://store.gnpcrescendo.com/product_info...&products_id=39

One of Dizzy's best albums!

That's the one!!!!Thanks. :D