Dizzy Gillespie

Late

"A significant number of Chronological Classics titles have now gone out of print."

which isn't a good sign either, since they used to be all available.

Meanwhile the Blues & Rhythm series that they started some years ago has continued to come out with its monthly four titles, so it's not like the label is entirely dead. I hope it's just a temporary hiatus for the jazz series, but fear that it's worse. Without an official website it's difficult to know what's going on. Perhaps someone in France knows more?

The Chronogical Classics releases seem to have come to a standstill. The latest batch from their list (Bill Coleman 52-53, Lockjaw Davis 1948-53, Billy Taylor 1952-53, Sidney Bechet 1952) has not appeared in stores here yet.

New releases from the Blues & Rhythms series have however appeared.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would be bloody awful if Classics has reached the end of their run. They've brought out some music that we never would have had access to for the most part.

Scary indeed. I have several on the way to me right now:

Lil Green 1942-46

Georgie Auld 1945-46

Horace Henderson 1940-41

...all material that I can't imagine anyone else issuing.

Then again, you won't see ME posting in the Discography forum any time soon, and I stand to be easily corrected. :unsure:

The RCA and the Savoy CDs togther are missing a few sessions by Diz under his name from the 1940s: The session where he recorded the first version of "Salt Peanuts", plus "Good Bait", "I Can't Get Started", and "Bebop"; the session with the first version of "Groovin' High" (the same session where he recorded "Blues 'n' Boogie"--but Keepnews kept "Groovin' High" off the Savoy disc because it was "sonically inferior"; a sesson from LA where he and Bags et al did "Dynamo", "Diggin' for Diz", "Round Midnight", "When I Get to Old to Dream", and "Confirmation" (a great session, but Bags sounds like he's playing milk bottles); and a four tune session with strings. This is from memory, so I am sure I screwed something up somewhere.

Now, wasn't that easy? :D

The first 4 sides you mention were cut for Manor before the Guild sides, and along with the first version of Groovin High are available on a great Naxos cd called Dizzy Gillespie: Classic Recordings 1942-1949. But I got that when I was in Canada and it may not be available in the States. The Diz with Bags sides were made for Dial so you'd think Savoy could have gotten hold of them like they did with the Bird Dials. BTW Who owns the rights to the Dial material nowadays?

• 4 weeks later...