George Braith, Two Souls In One

Jazz Kat

He's a personal friend who's one of the most truely unique jazzmen from the era imho. Those 3 Blue Note albums of his are classics of the organ/sax genre.

He still lives in NYC and continues his musical journey today.

I would suggest getting "The Complete Blue Note Recordings of George Braith." It's just recently out of print, but can be found used fairly cheap on Amazon and other outlets.

Enjoy!

Man, I played that album at least 20 times straight today. It's so revolutionary. I wonder why Braith never got the recognition he deserved. I love the album. Nat hentoff gives some nice notes on the album.

Glad to see another loyal fan Jazz Kat! All I have to say, is that if you dig "Two Souls In One" THAT much, you HAVE to get his other two Blue Notes "Soul Stream" (yes, it's my handle here!) and "Extension." They are better in many ways that 2 Souls, although 2 Souls is a stone cold classic.

Also, George plays on John Patton's "Blue John" LP. Also on Blue Note and recorded around the same time. It's floating around used but not in print at the time. Definately worth picking up.

Yes, George's concept is quite striking. Although initially encouraged by Roland Kirk, Braith definately had/has his own thing with the harmonies.

And since I see you're a Grant Green fan, you'd be glad to hear Grant plays on all of Braith's Blue Note recordings as well as Blue John. Not only that, but Grant is in TOP form on all of them. Burning.

Edited by Soul Stream

All of the George Braith Blue Notes are well worth hearing, count me in as a big fan. Particularly like 'Two Souls In One' and 'Extensions', which are both full of great grooves and some of Grant Green's finest work outside of his own sessions. 'Braith-A-Way' is an all time classic ! :)

Both beautifully recorded too by RVG.

Man, I played that album at least 20 times straight today. It's so revolutionary. I wonder why Braith never got the recognition he deserved. I love the album. Nat hentoff gives some nice notes on the album.

Glad to see another loyal fan Jazz Kat! All I have to say, is that if you dig "Two Souls In One" THAT much, you HAVE to get his other two Blue Notes "Soul Stream" (yes, it's my handle here!) and "Extension." They are better in many ways that 2 Souls, although 2 Souls is a stone cold classic.

Also, George plays on John Patton's "Blue John" LP. Also on Blue Note and recorded around the same time. It's floating around used but not in print at the time. Definately worth picking up.

Yes, George's concept is quite striking. Although initially encouraged by Roland Kirk, Braith definately had/has his own thing with the harmonies.

And since I see you're a Grant Green fan, you'd be glad to hear Grant plays on all of Braith's Blue Note recordings as well as Blue John. Not only that, but Grant is in TOP form on all of them. Burning.

Yeah, I will take you up on your advice. I am trying to get the whole Blue Note catalogue in my collection. Pretty big right? :D I have this great book with pictures of all the albums made for Blue Note. Got it for a Christmas present. It's pretty damn cool!

I basically try and get any Grant Green stuff I can. Green's my favorite hard bop guitarist, but Joe Pass influenced me the most, on my playing.

I'm young, so I still have time to get a lot of the Blue Note catalogue.

http://www.georgebraith.com/

Hey Soul Stream - you know if the "store" is still active off of this site?

Yes Jim, that's George's current place of residence in Staten Island (he moved last year after living in the Bronx forever). Also, don't know about the e-mail being current. Just try and see if it comes back to you. If so, I'll call George and ask him what his current e-mail is.