Pat Metheny Quote

Jazz Kat

I think the quote makes perfect sense even if taken completely out of its original context/discussion, and I happen to totally agree with it.

I asked for the context because it might illuminate the quote a bit more. Nothing wrong with that.

Wasn't Wynton and the "Young Lions" the next big thing in Jazz after Metheny?

(I don't know and don't remember.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the quote makes perfect sense even if taken completely out of its original context/discussion, and I happen to totally agree with it.

I asked for the context because it might illuminate the quote a bit more. Nothing wrong with that.

And where and when did he say it?

AmirBagachelles 

Posted: Jan 16 2005, 07:26 PM

It's scary that a sentence or two, anyone's, can get taken from it's context and presented as a topical "quote" conveying broad meaning or intent. Scary and ridiculous. This thread should be history.

Hmmm...so let's get this right. You have a public figure, a musician and entertainer - Metheny - giving a quote to a reporter or writer of some kind, who has asked him about something and whom Metheny I assume knows is going to disseminate said statement in an article or press release or the like. Thus I would also assume that he gave some thought to his statement, at least a passing one or two, knowing that it will be recorded for posterity.

Sounds to me like this qualifies as a (ahem) "topical 'quote' conveying broad meaning or intent," one worthy of (mostly) thoughtful discussion as pursued here.

Or do we go with your implied logic, and conclude that Metheny was just flapping his gums, making shit up, saying things without reflection and hoping that nobody would hear him babbling and put it down in writing?

Talk about scary and ridiculous...

Edited by DrJ

DrJ: "posterity", "public figure". I read a strong reaction to mild words taken out of their presentation context, and possible their context of meaning. There is no upside to speaking with the press, when the press acts irresponsibly. Out of context presentation is irresponsible and on the Internet, we are often the press. It is a slippery slope to tabloid journalism (and bulletin boards) to draw weighty conclusions from a few sentences.

Amir if I can respectfully but firmly continue to disagree with you: seems to me that the strong reactions (agreeing and disagreeing) with Metheny are more about the people having the reactions than Pat. I think this should be obvious to anyone...for example, speaking for myself, I was using his quote as a springboard for discussion of my own impression (not attributing my ideas to Metheny), as were others.

I honestly do not get what your issue is with this, you're in fact the one who is overreacting in my view. It seems you are arguing that the use of quotes made by celebs/artists/politicians/whatever as a launching pad for discussion - something that has been done since the beginning of time, and when it does the quotes are nearly ALWAYS taken far from their original context as the years go by - is to be abandoned. I'm not buying it.

Edited by DrJ

If I were in their postition, and being myself, I wouldn't give him permission.  :P

And thus, my original assumption as to the ulterior motive behind this thread is confirmed.

Oh, I'm not aloud to not like someone? Probaly. I guess the Norah Jones thread is evidence.

No, that's not what I was getting at. Nevermind.

By the way, use the "Today's Active Topics" button at the bottom of the page to see all the current topics. It will help you find threads that get moved and such.