Ellington Indigos

ejp626

This may have been discussed a long-time ago, but anyway we all know that the Columbia CD 1989 issue of Indigos was pretty bad, only including the alternative take of Autumn Leaves and not the original. I do hope that we see this get a better US re-issue now that they have done Blues in Orbit and some other great re-issues.

Anyway, I had an opportunity to pick up the LP version fairly cheaply and did a burn for comparison's sake. My question is that The Sky Fell Down is mentioned prominently in the notes on the back cover (and is one of the tracks not included in the re-issue) but it is apparently not on this LP. Only eight tracks are listed on the LP and Sky Fell Down isn't there. Perhaps it is combined with another song, but I don't think so. Are the stereo and mono releases of this album that different to the point of different tracks? If so, I do hope that if Columbia re-issues this we get both versions.

The Columbia 6-eye copy of this 'Ellington Indigos' (Columbia CL1085) has 'The Sky Fell Down'. Its the fifth and last track on side A. The album has the nine tunes mentioned in the liner notes.

'The Sky Fell Down' is an evocative feature for Ray Nance on trumpet.

No idea why it was dropped from other issues.

Are the stereo and mono releases of this album that different to the point of different tracks?

Yes. That tune was only included on mono versions of the album, as I understnd it. Why, I can't say.

Ammends of sorts were made in 1976, when Columbia included it on THE WORLD OF DUKE ELLINGTON VOLUME THREE.

A gorgeous piece, indeed.

In the very early days of stereo LP's, the size of the stereo grooves was larger than that of the grooves on a mono record, necessitating the dropping of a track or two from stereo versions of the records. By 1958 the variable cutting lathe was introduced, which made the engineer cutting the master able to vary the groove size sufficiently to include all of the music. A few Lp's which come to mind that had fewer tracks on the stereo versions are "Ellington Indigos" (Columbia), Count Basie "E=MC2" (aka "Atomic") (Roulette), Shorty Rogers "Martians Go Home" (Atlantic).

This may have been discussed a long-time ago, but anyway we all know that the Columbia CD 1989 issue of Indigos was pretty bad, only including the alternative take of Autumn Leaves and not the original. I do hope that we see this get a better US re-issue now that they have done Blues in Orbit and some other great re-issues.

Man, I'd sure like to have an improved and augmented version of the cd. One of my favorites. BTW I think I read somewhere that it's not a different take of Autumn Leaves, but rather that different verses of teh same take were used on the cd.

interesting.

I got hold of a copy of the first GDR stereo LP pressing some time ago and with all that microgroove stuff going on already, it actually has a smaller groove area than its mono counterpart. This must have been released around 1963, when the GDR mono stampers were still producing very heavy vinyl on steam powered machinery no doubt. The stereo vinyl is much thinner.

Edited by couw