if you were me.... and

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

post-9-1107402162.jpg

Ron,

My concern with your buying the Select is that it won't be good enough for you and that you'll want all the alternative takes, especially his sessions with Yanni :P

No need to worry, Brad. I already have the Revenant "Yanni Exposed" box, which includes his sessions with Kenny (including all alternates), plus 2 CD's of exclusive interviews about his tumultuous years with Linda Evans. I'm so glad they delayed putting out the Ayler box in favor of getting this one out first. :rolleyes:

And AfricaBrass just traded me this one in exchange for any future ownership interest I may obtain in a prospective Art Pepper Discovery Sessions Select:

post-9-1107402162.jpg

[Missed your chance, Brad--on both counts]

I've heard he really smokes on the alternate take of Pentatonic Fairy Fucker Blues...

Which one?

There are 6 alternate takes of it, and I can't tell them apart. :ph34r::P

The sessions with Koz and Tesh are hard to forget. :eye:

For some reason, the audio samples of "The Complete Jim Nabors Columbia Sessions" aren't functioning on the Mosaic site, so I've been asked to post them here. They may take a few seconds to load, so try to be patient. :wacko:

This one's AfricaBrass' personal favorite, and fortunately for him the set includes 5 alternate takes:

Riffin' On Tony O (Alternate Take 3) (previously unreleased)

This is one that Brad has been known to spin over and over for hours on end:

Jim Jumps In

And finally, Chris Olivarez purchased the entire 14 disc set just for this one previously unreleased track:

Nabors Does Coke (previously unreleased)

For some reason, the audio samples of "The Complete Jim Nabors Columbia Sessions" aren't functioning on the Mosaic site, so I've been asked to post them here. They may take a few seconds to load, so try to be patient. :wacko:

This one's AfricaBrass' personal favorite, and fortunately for him the set includes 5 alternate takes:

Riffin' On Tony O (Alternate Take 3) (previously unreleased)

This is one that Brad has been known to spin over and over for hours on end:

Jim Jumps In

And finally, Chris Olivarez purchased the entire 14 disc set just for this one previously unreleased track:

Nabors Does Coke (previously unreleased)

Thanks Ron!

I really needed a good laugh today. :tup:lol:

I think thread hijacking is an Organissimo forums specialty. :g

I still want to hear what set Tranemonk decides on. :D

I must admit (as the originator of the non-hijacked thread)... I did find the hijack (and the useful non-hijacked info)... very engaging....

I will say when my computer hit the Mosaic Select Kenny G, it re-booted...!!! (I guess I have trained it well)...

I'm leaning toward the Farlow... but wanted to ask your opinions about one other set...

Anybody got the Max Roach set???? I used to be into Roachie but I saw him live a few years back with the "Beijng Trio" and it was a DISASTER!!!! I know the Mosaic is his "prime" but that dreadful performance really turned me off....

But I'd love to get feedback about his set...

thanks!>>>>

(And instead of hijacking my own thread... I'll start another on a related topic...:)

TRANEMONK ALERT!!! Before you order the Farlow set direct from Mosaic, be aware that the European licensed version (identical to the domestic version except different catalog number and not individually numbered, although still one of the limited edition of 10,000) is available right now as an import at CD Universe for $62.09 plus $2.99 shipping, for a total of $65.08--about HALF the cost if purchased from Mosaic. European Farlow Mosaic at CD Universe Tower.com also has it for slightly more. If I were you, I'd buy this set at CD Universe (which I just did), and spend your Mosaic gift card on something you can't get elsewhere for half the Mosaic price. :D

Edited by Ron S

Ray thinks: "Will the guys make fun of me if I admit to having worked for Mr. Welk for several years while in college...?"

;)

I think that's really cool! :tup

It's a LOT better than the jobs I had in college.

I have many happy memories watching the Welk show with my grandparents when I was a child.

I figure the joke with the Mosaic covers I'm making is that they're artists that are FAR from their normal fare.

Even though I joke about a lot of musicians, I don't have a problem with any of them. I may not enjoy their music but someone does, and that is cool with me.

Since we have completely hijacked this thread, any good stories of your time working for the Welk show...