Blindfold Test .:.23

.:.impossible

Alright, I've gotten a couple of private messages already, so I assume many of you have already received your discs. Some very perceptive listeners, I must say!

Please don't forget, I left all the ID tags in there in case anyone wants to re-use the tracks further on down the road. Just don't peek, or you'll miss out on the whole point of the blindfold test, which is to stretch your ears a bit.

I included a little something for everyone I hope, and realized afterwards that I'd left off a couple of things that I really wanted to include by including things that I didn't plan on including! Anyway, hope y'all enjoy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok. So here are my comments/guesses on disc 1:

Track 1: This is a really smokin vibes player. I don't know enough about old school vibes players to make a good guess but the level of virtuosity is beyond Terry Gibbs. It might be Lionel Hampton or Victor Feldman because the guy has a lot of the classic post-bop licks "under his fingers." Who knows? Perhaps, the "Hutch" but that's too obvious. Clearly not Gary Burton. The only modern guys I know of are Stefon Harris, Bryan Carrott, Joe Locke and Matthies Luppri and this recording sounds rather old. The drummer has perfect time.

Track 2: Definately dig the concept. It's kinda rockish and the guy has a very pleasingly funky rhythmic concept though relatively simple. I have no clue as to tune though I've heard such a tune before. Like a rag or a delta blues.

Track 3: I love this Monk tune, "Ask Me Now." I am totally digging the bass clarinet's embellished melody in tandem with the muted trumpet and tap dancer. The tap dancing and the modernity of the inflections/recording quality hint at Savion Glover, however Glover is also the only dancer I know the name of. My favorite recent versions of this tune were by James Carter on "Jurassic Classics" and Bruce Barth's "East and West." Also a young bassist who recently graduated from Berklee did a pretty version. He is based in SF Bay Area. The CD is called "Previous Misconceptions" and his name is Emmanuel Vaughn-Lee. Maybe JimR has heard of him?

Track 4: No clue. Max Roach? Freedom Suite? Idris Muhammad? Lots of African influence but too randomly free. The use of the hi-hat should tell me but I do not portend to be a drum expert. The voice implies Africa.

Track 5: This is Lovano (first soloist) and another tenor player but is not from the Tenor Legacy CD he did with Josh Redman, McBride, Nash, and Mulgrew. This is quite obviously Paul Motian on drums from the free style and the indiosyncratic use of the hi-hat and cymbals in the beginning. The chord changes after the head are to Airegin. The other tenor could be Dewey Redman or Walt Weiskopt. The second tenorist's concept is informed by Joe Henderson and seemingly by Lovano too. I dig!

Track 6: Abercrombie? Maybe with Larry Goldings or George Cables? Forget the name of this tune...kinda slow and boring

Track 7: This sounds like John McLaughlin. Very ethereal and airy. NMCOT.

Track 8: No conjectures. Maybe some closer listening will reveal something. I was thinking Pat Martino but I think it's somebody younger and lesser known. You can barely hear the bass! I really like this trumpeter's sound....It'n not a neo-bopper but it is someone young. Probably someone obscure to throw us for one. Too many names come to mind. Perhaps Tim Hagans?

Track 9: Sounds like a post-modern version of Ellington's Main Stem. Guitarist sounded a bit like Rosenwinkel.

Track 10: Not a clue. NMCOT.

Track 11: I like the composition and the open voicings in the horns. Definately new-schoolers. Maybe something from Fresh Sound New Talent?

Track 12: This is the definition of early free jazz. One instrument slowly leading the group through the tune. Sounds like Wayne Shorter on tenor. This is most likely late 60s or 70s.

Track 13: Solo rendition of Sammy Cahn's classic "I Should Care." I keep seeing versions of this tune all over the place recently - like on the new Jim Snidero CD. James Williams could do a great solo piano rendition that was markedly more structured and with a definite tempo. Both this and my memory of that are nice.

Track 14: It's clear what song it is. I dunno this singer nor the band. I will leave this one to others.

Track 15: Definately Dexter! At times I feel like I'm gonna recognize the piece but it continues to elude me. Nice arrangement.

Track 16: Yeah!!! Jimmy McGriff? I know that grunt/hum! Reminds me of Jimmy McGriff but it could be so many cats. Very groovy!

Thanks for a challenge .:impossible, its been fun and tough so far. I probably won't get much farther than this on disc one so I will now move to Disc Two and hope that I recognize something there too. I didn't make any positive IDs as I have none of these CDs but it has me wanting 5, 13.and 16 especially.

First impressions...

1. Whew- that’s fast. :) Actually, that’s too fast, because it makes amateur musicians like me want to take up photography... or something. But seriously, can a tune like this be played too fast? I mean, would the impact be any better, the appreciation level, the extent to which the tune can be absorbed and enjoyed be any greater if they had slowed it down just a tad? I’m not even sure what my opinion is, but damn that was fast. Any faster and you’d begin to enter freakshow territory. Okay, that’s a very famous bebop tune, VERY famous... annnnnnd... I’ll tell you what it is later. :g Wait. I’m gonna say “be-bop”, which I think was by Dizzy. As for who this is, I just don’t know. I don’t often hear vibe chops like this. I don’t think I’ve got any vibe recordings of this that go at this tempo (I think I have it by Milt, but beyond that I’m blanking).

2. Monk tune...? ...not Monk on piano. Not one of my favorite Monk tunes.

3. Another Monk tune- Aks me now (I know it’s “Ask”, but I like the sound of “Aks”). Bass clarinet? Nice trumpet obligatto and interesting percussion sounds... what is that? This is pretty cool.

4. Nmcot. Just not much I can latch onto or comment on. I’m not too keen on pure percussion.

5. A headless backward African nation. I admire the skill level here for sure, even if much of the soloing is not really to my taste. Excellent players, though! Gotta be a couple of well-known guys blowin’ here...

6. Nice tune! I’ve never heard this before. I dig the organist’s comping. Very tasty, very sensitive. The guitarist’s touch in the opening bars reminded me of Joe Pass (it’s not Joe, of course, I just hear an influence in the approach/attack on the guitar at times). Kind of a weird tone, IMO... I really like the musicianship, though. I wonder if this could be Bill Frisell... I don’t own any of his recordings, but I know he’s experimented with different styles and sounds (and I know he’s good). Very nice track- I’ll have to come back to this and see if anything else pops into my head.

7. Not my thing, but it’s pleasant, IMO.

8. This doesn’t sound at all familiar either. Interesting contrast between a fairly straightforward/mainstream rhythm background and a more adventurous approach to melody and soloing. I don’t like it a whole lot, but it is intriguing, and again, I admire the skill level 100%

9. This one is messin’ with me. I have the majority of Kenny Burrell’s recordings, but this (again) does not sound like something I’ve ever heard before. The tune sounds familiar, though. Gotta come back to this one...

10. I liked the beginning of this a lot (the first minute), and then I thought it went downhill somewhat. It started out like it was going to be a nice moody jazz ballad, and then a bit of a rock element kicked in. The guitarist doesn’t impress me much, and the tone of the vibes goes bad for me at times. I’d like to hear this tune played by a different group, I guess.

11. Not crazy about the head, but the solos were pleasant. Overall, not really something that I want to hear again.

12. Certainly well played, but nothing much that holds my interest.

13. Recognized this immediately (at least the player and the tune... not sure if this is Columbia or Riverside...). I really enjoy listening to him play other people’s compositions in addition to his own. This isn’t a favorite standard of mine, but this is one of my favorite versions of it.

14. Okay, even I can see the connection between this track and the last track. :rolleyes: I don’t recognize this singer. Overall the performance and the arrangement don’t move me a great deal. Good, though. I’m trying to figure out how old this might be. It doesn’t sound too new, but not too old either.

15. Nice ensemble sound and arrangement. Unfamiliar to me again. Nice soulful tenor... but I can’t put my finger on who this is yet...

16. Well, the name of the tune is mentioned three times, so that helps. ;) I don’t own this version (the only organ version of this I have is by Mel Rhyne).

Please don't forget, I left all the ID tags in there in case anyone wants to re-use the tracks further on down the road. Just don't peek, or you'll miss out on the whole point of the blindfold test, which is to stretch your ears a bit.

ID tags? Left them in there? Re-use the tracks? :unsure: I don't follow you at all (I didn't receive anything in my package but the discs)...

=====

Also, is there going to be another thread for disc 2, or...? Just curious- I haven't even managed to spin it yet.

Oh, and lest I forget- THANKS for the discs!! I may not have dug everything on disc 1, but you really picked out some interesting and challenging music. :tup

Edited by Jim R

Also a young bassist who recently graduated from Berklee did a pretty version. He is based in SF Bay Area. The CD is called "Previous Misconceptions" and his name is Emmanuel Vaughn-Lee. Maybe JimR has heard of him?

I'm afraid I haven't, at least not yet.

OK, sped through this 1st disc this morning. Recognized a couple only. Some initial impressions and positive IDs:

1) "Bebop", fastest version I've yet heard. Don't know the vibes player

on this. Enjoyed it.

2) Monk's "Green Chimneys". Recognized this one immediately. Got to

meet the pianist, a terrific person, on a couple of occasions since he

coincidentally was the next door neighbor of my wife's cousin whom we

visited on several occasions back when. Anyway it's the first track on

this CD.

3) Again, Monk, this time a rather interesting version of "Ask Me Now" (love Steve Lacy's original recording of this). Sounds like something the AEC would do with the bass clarinet, hand clapping, etc. , but really have no clue. Dug it.

4) Percussion piece NMCOT.

5) Loved this but can't ID the tenors except to say that the first one has a distinct Rollins influence yet sounds like Joe Lovano. Liked the 2nd tenor also. Would want to pick this one up definitely.

6) Nondescript guitar. Not much interest here.

7) Boring

8) No clue.

9) Duke's 'Main Stem" live with vibes, guitar. Don't know who. Liked it.

10) More Duke but this time his later piece "Fleurette Africaine". I was banging my head on this knowing the tune but at first couldn't identify it and then listening to the vibes and rockish guitar, it hit me. Incidentally, the guitarist is a pure mainstream

jazzer now but back then, he had a more eclectic style. Anyway it is the 3rd cut from

this CD.

Gotta jump.

13) I should care if it's anyone but Theo.

14) Thought I knew practically all the vocal renditions of this jazz classic and should at least recognize who's singing, but I don't. Not very good IMO.

15) I know Booker Ervin when I hear him, but I have no idea where this cut is from.

16) Jesus. I thought we were through with the funky organ stuff. Don't know, don't care.

All in all however, liked the disc. Onto disc #2 tonight or tomorrow.

Edited by MartyJazz

All of the track information will show up if you put this disc into your computer. That is what I meant by ID tags.

Uh... not on my Mac...

=====

Track 15 is definitely NOT Dexter Gordon, although there are stylistic similarities.

Really, I wrote down that I got this one! I have to listen to it again tonight. It's hard to give it a goo dlisten at work.

16) Jesus. I thought we were through with the funky organ stuff. Don't know, don't care.

IMO, a test leader ought to feel free to include what they want. If I'm ever going to learn to accurately identify more funky organists, I'll need to hear more of this type of stuff. B-)

9. This one is messin’ with me. I have the majority of Kenny Burrell’s recordings, but this (again) does not sound like something I’ve ever heard before. The tune sounds familiar, though. Gotta come back to this one...

I had thought of this album last night, but I had forgotten that it was a live recording (have never played it much). It's track 2 from this CD: http://www.mmguide.musicmatch.com/album/al...?ALBUMID=398765

WOW!

Quite the collection on disc one. :tup Excellent listenings!!! Just guesses for me with only a couple known to be. No peeking of course and straight off the top which ain't much.

T1- Absolute vibe phenome ... is this you Cary after some Evelynn Wood course. I was waiting for it to break into Flight of the Bumble Bee. Top notch starter for certain, natch.

T2- My guess here from a disc I have never heard, but I am presuming this might be 'Blues for Smoke'? Hefty thumping with a bit of humor under the paws is my reasoning.

T3- Byron with Glover doing "Ask me Now" or a Monk to be Googled later?

T4- Another from a disc I have yet to hear (maybe) - sounds like it might be a cut from the Parker and Drake disc on AumFidelity? The trappist gets better marks from me than the percussionist accompaniment.

T5- A nineties Blue Note release sound but as for who the two horns are I have not a clue. The piece is just swinging like mad. It's amazing how close the tone is for both. This is damn fine!

T6- Very nice mellow break. I have got to think about this one (not that it will help).

T7- Has that moody ECM heady vibe w/o vibes this time. A bit of a freaky intro. Baron on hand drums maybe w/ Abercrombie or McLaughlin. I love these sonic sculptings but don't come back to them as much as I should.

T8- A modern Miles influence is nice. Any .:.relativity.:. at work here.

T9- Nice pick up with the walk segue from geet to double bass. This past quartet of tunes has a very nice flow. Bonus! I like this metallic tone from the vibes and I'm sure that might give it away to the resident quasimodos. This just swings like mad.

T10- Another addition to the theme. The last five are quite a team. But after this piece takes off into the fisty blues I burnt out a bit. I like the unfolding going on here but did not need the glare of what was inside.

T11- I like this track a lot ... a lower register and more deliberate Roy Campbell? and if it is I'll butter my hat cause I usually don't like that guy. Assuming, based upon the bass and the fact that it leads into ....

T12- Wm. Parker's "Percy" from (edit oops): 'Painter's Spring' NOT 'O'Neal's Porch'. (big nod to the Air of the windy city.)

T13- A beautiful tune here. A modern reprise of track #2.

T14- "RM" by a lustier version of Jeanne Lees?

T15- An Ellington tune(?) or just a veiled version of "Nature Boy" with that "Angel Eyes" underbelly... this is a beautiful piece and one of the standouts among the many. That sour sax will call it for the big guns. So I will just listen again and again... that "cry" in there might be Booker. hmmmm.

T16- Another "cry" of sorts as Ca-R(a)y "laces" up some greasy "Mo-Jo" for a closer! *

Very nice indeed! I dashed through a bit after a couple listens as I'm too curious.

edit: * as I re-read and it looks like I might think #16 is Ray but of course it's not since it's one of the two I did know!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

schijf een,

een: woa! speedbop! overall sound is of a modern recording, the vibes players enthousiasm mirrors Hamp though. this is crazy, the guy on the vibes is really precise even at this breakneck speed. nice to hear, but not sure if my heart would survive several hours of this.

twee: Green Chimneys or one of those rarely recorded Monk tunes. Not Monk though, and although the guy is obviously good at what he does, it bothers me somewhat that he seems to be striving for that Monk sound without catching it really. Recently heard Mengelberg have a go at some of these tunes and that was somehow more convincing because he was pretty relaxed and not trying too hard.

drie: stepdance and bassclarinet on another one of Monk's tunes, Ask Me Now. This is very nice I think, perfectly laid back, very bluesy, not as uptight as the previous track. Monk would have been proud.

vier: the drums sound reminds me of Hamid Drake. The chant is more like Pharoah Sanders going on at his new age best. I'm at a loss here. This sounds a bit too loose to take off, it cannot carry much, but it carries the interlude we're having perfectly, though I had catched my breath already long before the second installment at 4:53.

vijf: oy, another angular composition and another busy busy drummer. The drummer gets on my nerves. The unisono horns as well; are you trying to wreck my nerves? Luckily it soon cools down and stretches into relaxation somewhat. This sound very artificial to me, as many modern recordings do. Nevertheless, on second run through, the tenors is naaiis. Whodis? first one: nicely bulky and down to mother texas earth with flub flub freep freely lines. Then another one, more focussed in his tone and with some things to tell about skidding down a muddy road. The trades are a treat. The piano might as well not have been there, it would have opened up the sound a bit more. The drums and bass are too boomy.

zes: sleepy time. it doesn't gel between my ears. I hear an organ that's doing some nice things but nothing very spectacular; and I hear a guitar playing some much more interesting things with lines of varying length, stretching across or not. The organ bass is too boomy when it gets turned up for the solo (who's idea was it to turn it up?). This could have been better.

zeven: I find this to amount to boring onanistic plunkering really. the cymbal crashes sound like totally unattached to all other things going on. sorry, no likeee

eight: more geeeetarr! and a trumpet too. This has a nice drive, cool for the monday afternoon. The bass conjures some tasty vibe together with the brushman. muted trumpet man has some lines to throw at us too. His tone could be less brittly-bubbly for my tastes. THEN SUDDENLY at 5:22: apocalyse! WTF?! Nevertheless: this is some cool shit.

nine: ja! a hip dude on the vibes with burrell or a clone on the geetarrr. Dis Svings!

tien: this started off really nice, but it went somewhere else. Will need to listen again, the rock interludes did not convince me. Child of its time no doubt.

elf: unusual combination of sounds on the head here. Such unisono stuff is definitely diffimcult and all kinds of great, but usually I get bugged by the little differences in intonation. Yet this thing develops into a nicely laid back piece with a nice trumpet, a nice piano, a nice tenor, and nice mutual support too; nice but nothing more. But then they get into that mish mash part after the trumpet solo and that is just great. Love that. and the bassclarinet taking it out as well. So I am a bit split on this one.

twaalf: bass and tenor and litres of spit. could do without the echo, but this is pretty cool stuff! Doesn't quite deliver what it set out to, but heck, neither do I most of the time...

dertien: yes of course. amazing how the man can play so slow and still keep the melody flowing and even add more meaning to it all in the process. very touching stuff I find.

veertien: hmmm, the trumpet quotes some brownie and that's the best part.

vijftien: what's this? Nature Boy? tenor has some texas soil in his horn again. Is it the man with only two solos? He does a damn good job hiding here then. There isn't much of a story told, but this thing carries itself so, yeah.

zestien: yum, familiar organ sound. Don't recognise the accompanying grunts though, nor the geetarr. This scores well in the ballpark it is playing in. ja!

though my comments may sound a bit on the negative side, that's just because it's easier to point out. I liked this one a lot. Thanks Cary. :tup

Will try and revisit the disk later this week.

Will there be a separate thread for the other disk?

though my comments may sound a bit on the negative side, that's just because it's easier to point out. I liked this one a lot. Thanks Cary. :tup

Yeah, that's ok. That tends to be the tone of these blindfold discussions. I understand. Well, if you wouldn't mind, on second listen, maybe trying to highlight some of the things that you do like, or do find interesting. I always tend to learn more by stretching myself to find something I do appreciate, rather than deconstructing the things I don't. Of course, if you can't find anything to like, do say so!

Had a listen to Disc One last night, and another one as we speak. Usual thanks and disclaimers apply. And no AMG-ing!

TRACK ONE - Hell if I know, but that's some fast shit ("Bebop" aka "Things To come") . Too fast, really, for anything other than a challenge, Not too many cats have been able to really be creative playing changes at that tempo, and these folks ain't amongst them. But - they all hung w/the tempo, and that may have well been the point, whether or not they'd admit it.

OTOH, really nice recording. Sounds like a Contemporary thing, so I'll guess Victor Feldman. Drummer's really crisp, might be Shelley Manne. No doubt all involved would be a lot more creative at a slightly slower tempo. But sometimes you just gotta see waht you can do!

TRACK TWO - "Green Chimneys". NOT Monk. Might be that Walter Davis thing, which I have, but haven't really internalised enough yet to say for sure. But too many non-Monkian elements (and too decidedly "modern" ra ecording sound) to be Monk. As a "personal reflection" on Monk, it's very nice.

TRACK THREE - "Ask Me Now" as performed after Globetrotters games. :g Trumpeter is definitely Lester Bowie-inspired, might even be him, but I don't think so. TOO traditional. Might even be Clark Terry out on a limb (the Terry/Bowie link goes strangely unnoticed, it seems to me), but not likely. Sounds like it might be James Carter on bass clarinet. I think they were playing this one strictly for grins, and grins they get from me! Fun stuff.

TRACK FOUR - No idea. AACM-ish. Often, this type of thing is more fun (for me) to be involved in playing than listening, but still enjoyable for the various percussion colors/textures. Percussion offers unlimited possibilities, and these are some of 'em. Not bad, but not "special". Works very nicely in the sequence of this disc, though.

TRACK FIVE - Ah, tenor geeks! A variant of "Airegin". I dig how they take a page from Sonny by playing the head in such a way that the changes aren't revealed until the blowing begins, ala Newk's "John S." But if you go back and listen, you can hear that the head follows the changes, just in a non-boppish (very Trane-ish via Liebman/Grossman, actually) way. This has "New York Tenor" written all over it, but w/o the tight tone and straighter phrasing that so many of those cats use. First cat might be Lovano, second might be Garzone (a severely overlooked player, btw). My preference is for the second player, no matter who it is. This kind of playing is kind of a dead-end, ultimately, but it's a dead-end that has much to offer on the way. My man Pete Gallio lives for this kind of thing, and could probably tell you exactly who it is in 4 notes or less. Me, all I can do is guess, and maybe, maybe. buy the side when I find out for sure. Is that DeJohnette on drums?

TRACK SIX - What a COOL tune, and what a GREAT vibe for it! No idea as to who or what, but if late-60s Brian Wilson had of been making stoned-out jazz records instead of stoned-out pop ones, they would sound like this! So calm and passive on the surface, so OUT on the inside. LOVE IT! Love the SOUND of the cut, how everbody involved gets the mood and plays to it throughout, down to the mixing.

TRACK SEVEN - Psychedelic! Kind of like a joint acid trip between Chico Hamilton and Jimmy Giuffre. Kind of annoying for half-hearted listening, but if you can get into that lysergic perspective (naturally, of course!), it's very nice, unfolding slowly but surely. Close listening reveals a sure direction from beginning to end, although that direction is in no way made overt. Very disciplined music-making, actually. There's a core to the music that everybody plays off of w/o actually playing. I dug it.

TRACK EIGHT - Might be Herb Robertson doing his Don Cherry (he does a very good one!). Tight! These cats are all on the same page, playing a concept as well as a tune. Again, very SOUND-conscious music making. Nice. Really dig the bass/drums hookup. Sounds kinda like an "intellectual" take on Ornette and Tristano all roled into one. In a good way. You can dance to it, but you're most likely to think about dancing to it, and enjoy doing so. Again, VERY taken by the bassist and drummer, individually and together.

TRACK NINE - I recognize "Main Stem" and Kenny Burrell immediately, but that's it. Burrell is the epitome of "understated mastery". The guy can go wherever he wants to go and fool you into thinking that it's someplace normal. Well, sometimes it is, but sometimes... They had a SOLID groove going until the drummer started hitting the rim on 4 behind Kenny. That shit does NOT work, hardly ever anyway. But they recover nicely. VERY nicely, actually. Kind of generic solos from bass and drums, but the vibist is somebody not hidebound by bebop orthodoxy, which is definitely to his advantage. Not Hutch, but somebody with a bit of the same "stretched" ethos. Mighty interesting!

TRACK TEN - "Fleurette Africaine". By Burton & Coryell? RCA? Don't know this particualr version, but those are two pretty identifiable voices, especially together. Not Roy, so it must be Moses (another overlooked master, in his own freaky way). Overall, I don't much go for the Gary Burton, but this earlier stuff, what I've ehard of it, works just fine. Him & Coryell (and Moses, if this is him) were young, white, and not worried about it, which in the jazz of the late-60s was a pretty radical attitude. Pat Metheny, etc. starts here. Again, I dug it, and wouldn't mind checking out some more RCA Burton if it's all like this.

TRACK ELEVEN - Gil Evans meets Oliver Nelson for an Andrew Hill ECM date? Don't know, don't have a clue, but there's a mood to this thing that makes it hard to ignore. So much nuance to all the playing, in both ensemble and solos, the players seem to be sining more than playing, and I like that a lot. Actually, this sounds familiar in a lot of ways, but not in such a way that I can put it all together into a cohesive guess.

TRACK TWELVE - Well, yeah. I hear ya. Whoever you all are, I hear ya.

Might be McPhee? Might be the Parker/Drake tandem. I don't know.

But I hear 'em.

TRACK THIRTEEN - And I do. Deeply.

And with nothing but eternal love and gratitude.

As I'm sure Walter Davis did.

TRACK FOURTEEN - Sounds like Thad Jones on the intro. GREAT chart! The vocalist sounds like it could be anybody, but only an anybody of a particular time, place, and attitude. I could almost go Ra on this one, it's got that ragged-but-right thing going on. Or, from a completely different place, something Mingus/Macero/Debut related. But I hear a few Arkestra-specific tonal voices poking through in the ensembles, and the piano solo is defintiely not anything "traditional" so w/Ra I stay. Beautiful.

TRACK FIFTEEN - DEFINTIELY Stan Getz w/Gary McFarland. I'd know that sound anywhere!

Unless it's BOOKER AND BRASS. But I've never heard that one before. :w:w:w

TRACK SIXTEEN - Keith Jarrett on a blind drunk? Pretty sure I've heard this before, might even have it, but again, can't call it. Might never, and might not. But I bet the drummer's from New Orleans.

Wow, that's a LOT of music, much of it totally new to me, and all of it good. Thanks for the ride!

Nice set, lots of evocative mood pieces.

Disk 1

1. Vibes trio, but not Walt Dickerson or Bobby Hutcherson. Lots of technique. Jay Hoggard is a possibility.

2. Solo piano. Maybe Barry Harris.

3. Bass clarinet with tap shoes. John Carter is my wild guess. Not even sure he pays bass clarinet.

4. Drums and a little touch of yodel. Ed Blackwell, maybe?

5. Hard bop tenor battle. Griff and Lockjaw?

6. Could this be John Abercrombie with Dan Wall. Larry Goldings also came to mind.

7. Quiet guitar with a touch of clarinet. I guess James Emery, though I can't rule out Ralph Towner.

8. Muted trumpet and guitar. Emily Remler perhaps?

9. Vibes and guitar in a mainstream groove. Kenny Burrell, for lack of a better guess.

10. Vibes and guitar with rock influenced drumming. Gary Burton, perhaps with Larry Coryell.

11. This could be Ben Allison

12. Fairly recent I think. Very enjoyable. I'm guessing Branford Marsalis and am prepared to look foolish.

13 Solo Monk Piano?

14. Vocals recorded in the next county for effect, but effective and understated singing nevertheless. Who's the lady that recorded a lot of albums for Concord before taking her own life? Susannah McCorkle. I'll guess her.

15. Dexter Gordon?

16. Jimmy Smith doin' What'd I Say?