Blindfold Test .:.23

.:.impossible

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TRACK ELEVEN - Gil Evans meets Oliver Nelson for an Andrew Hill ECM date? Don't know, don't have a clue, but there's a mood to this thing that makes it hard to ignore. So much nuance to all the playing, in both ensemble and solos, the players seem to be sining more than playing, and I like that a lot. Actually, this sounds familiar in a lot of ways, but not in such a way that I can put it all together into a cohesive guess.

I'm guessing you mean singing rather than sinning or emitting sine waves?

First of all, thanks for compiling the disc. Here are my thoughts.

1. Simplistic introduction theme. The bassist does not really listen to the vibes player, does he? –they get out of sync in the fast part (well, more fast part – everything is fast here). Vibist can play fast, but it all sounds way too clumsy. Not that much of an interesting improvisation here– sure, poor guy is struggling to keep in tempo with the bassist, no time to think. Not too impressive for me.

2. Nice Monk’s theme. Hmmm… that’s simplifying it too an extreme. Really childish, I say. .:.impossible, that’s not you playing, by chance? Not much interest for this one either.

3. Quite funny start, but nothing much happens after that. Drumming with all these clapping sounds becomes annoying after a while. 2 minutes - that’s it? Nice, but not more.

4. Heey, this I like. Unique approach to drumming. A bit unfocused and rambling, but that’s the man’s style – he lets the music carry him away. This music is even better appreciated live (although he tends to spend most of the time singing and dancing), due to amazing energy that this (fairly old now) man projects on stage. Hope he records more - I would love to hear him in duo with some guitarist, Elliott Sharp, probably. Bravo.

5. Nice transition – into the drum sola – also extroverted, but a more disciplined drummer. Like the drummer –a bit Cyrille-ish, but it’s not him (not good enough ;)). Like the unison theme by saxophonists. Hmmm, this transition to fairly standard hard-bop thing surely is disappointing. Tenor solo is OK, fairly generic. This is something recently recent (90s- 00s), very safe, and quite sterile. Oh, and the second saxophonist (is this alto or also tenor?) is equally competently boring. At the call-and-response part you can hear that both saxophonists are quite Henderson-ish. Something like this was already quite outdated in 1965 – not sure it has any relevance in 2005. Oh, drum solo. Drum solo I like. Interestingly, I hear some influence of the drummer from the track 4.

6. Brushes –tasty sound. Nice guitar sound – now what? …Now nothing much, it seams. A drowsy organ mini-solo. At 1:40 I am starting to worry if anything is going to happen here at all. OK, we got a quite clean polite guitar solo. Come on, this is just too generic… Is this to accompany afternoon dance sessions for those over 60? Very much no good, IMO.

7. Again, I just don’t hear any development here. No search, no exploration, no risk taking. This gong is annoying, I think. Quite new-agey. Hand in hand watch the sunrise on the beach.

8. OK, time to wake up! Beginning I like. Edgy theme and more life in the guitar sound. Nice bass-drums – you just feel they enjoy it. Guitar solo is interesting. These shifts when bass stops playing - very tasty. Muted trumpet solo is also good! Sounds like Paul Smoker at his less adventurous. Or Joe McPhee – haven’t heard a lot of his trumpet playing, but this sound like saxophone solo played on trumpet. Excellent shift to hi-hats by drummer. Excellent track! Very interested to learn who these musicians are.

9. This is very much so-so. Again, rather bland playing from everybody. Vibist is the best here, but also far from spectacular. Khan Jamal at his less inspired? Hope not. The theme is formulaic as well.

10. Nice theme. I am pretty sure I have it recorded somewhere – but I think it is played on piano there. Sounds like something Carla Bley could have written – little simple repetitive hypnotic melody. Oooops, this rhythm’n’blues-ish guitar – quite silly, no? And the bassist is doing something very awkward and busy behind it – just to emphasize the silliness of it all, I guess. Vibes solo – pretty, lots of feedback making it painful, not eventful in terms of ideas. 70s, I guess? Not good, IMO.

11. Good theme. Beautiful low trumpet sound! Excellent solo – would have loved if it were longer. This booming steady bass is a bit annoying – would have been better to have something more flexible and original. Impressionistic piano solo OK. Counterpoint ensemble part is interesting – tastefully and cleverly done, just this bass is annoying. Bass clarinet (?) is not going anywhere – a shame. Not bad at all. Curious about the trumpeter.

12. Well recorded (unlike previous track). Bassist is heaving a peculiar concept of time. Not a very flexible bass playing, I say. Is this a bassist’s date? – he is too prominent in the mix. Tenor is OK – competent, nothing too original. Drummer sounds like Hamid Drake to me. More competent generic modern outdated music.

13. Yeah, piano, it’s been a long time since we’ve heard it here. More Monkisms? The guy (gal) does not let himself go, does he? Don’t like it too much. Substituting ideas for these nervous stops. Sounds like Ran Blake to me.

14. Nice classical trumpet sound. Such an overblown arrangement. Not a bad one, but just does not fit with the singer. Was the brass section overdubbed? Bad idea, IMO. The singer is OK, nothing special (a couple of nice hooks here and there, but again…. just generic, sorry). Shit, this arrangement is so out of place… You didn’t mix it yourself, did you?

15. More large band. Strong alto sound. Solo is OK. Does not sound improvised to me. Phil Woods? OK stuff.

16. Hmmm. Just didn’t provoke any emotion or interest whatsoever – nether bad not good.

So this is BT 23 ....

I have a hard time to comment on these selections ... because I love 'em so much. This disc is pure enjoyment, I could have handpicked most of this stuff myself. I enjoy the pensive mood of many tracks, and all of it makes me listen, taking up much more of my time than I have to spare these days, but it is such a rewarding listen. Seems I have a new favourite among BT discs. Thanks a lot, it was well worth the wait (I mean your waiting - glas it was a little less than two years to compile the playlist, and you made excellent use of that time!

The usual disclaimers apply to these impressions at first, second, or third or even fourth listen. Well, I have an even harder time trying to get this disc out of the player for the second one ... no googling or AMGing here, no peeking, not the least.

Track 1: Some madman hitting the doorbells. His sound is terribly familiar, but at this tempo you cannot do very much as far as rhythmic variation is concerned, so I'm not sure. "Bebop", the tune. I'm sure I have heard or even owned this, but I'm not a fan of these fast exercises, nothing much do do but hammer straight eighth notes.

During a car ride later I kept thinking that I must have that track, and yes, suddenly I found the answer: The man that looked like Leonard Feather and sounded like ...... Back home I pulled the LP from the shelf. This is not my favourite from an otherwise very fine disc. The leader comments on this piece: "This is faster than I've ever recorded before and it's faster than Dizzy's original version." Curious whether anybody else figures this one out ...

Track 2: Ha, Monk's "Green Chimneys", from a rare CD - rare in the meaning of being one of a kind. I'm curious how the others find this track. I love this CD and the story told in the liner that many will not believe, but I think it is the plain truth. Another trait from African culture - leaving your body to make room for some spirit to use it for his expressions. Now if people in religious trance do this they have no memory what happened while they were out, but in case of a spiritually higher developped person you voluntarily give room to the other spirit - this is what happened here. I like it that he plays a short chorus here, which he rarely does on that disc. He really studied Monk's music - in a way you have to stay that close - Monk's spirit is so strong!

I noticed the same short tape flutter at the beginning I heard on my disc - I wonder why this escaped the otherwise fussy engineer.

Track 3: Monk's "Ask Me Now", short and sweet, too short, would have liked to hear them play a little, to show their take on it. The funky drums together with the tap dancer is a very nice idea. More, please!

Track 4: I hear Milford Graves in this, one of the true original drum masters. This is at least two players, maybe his duo with Sonny Morgan on ESP? I have it on LP but no time to check at the moment. I'm not that much a fan of free playing, but Graves always struck me with his strong vision and personality, he makes me listen because I feel he does it to serve the music and not just to get his rocks off. This man is so atuned to ryhthm itself that the way he plays it connects directly into some spiritual rhythmic stream.

Track 5: Almost Neo-Tristano school, but swinging a lot harder. Like the more energetic sons of Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz. Interesting, would like to hear more, especially how they do medium or slow tempos.

Track 6. Now this track had me sitting down to listen. I like the way guitarist paces himself and shapes the music very much, although I'm not a guitar freak. I'd say it is his date, would have liked a little more organ, which reminds me of Larry Goldings - but is is perfect the way it is. I will put this on my purchase list. The way they build an keep that mood is magnificent.

Track 7: Very pensive and dreamy, beautiful. This is what I love about these blindfold tests - I get to hear music I never would consider giving a shot. I have no idea who this is - some ECM record? I wouldn't have expected a clirinet to come in after this guitar - the way he plays it it sounds almost detuned, but it isn't. Very well done. Curious who this is - I envision myself exclaiming my disbelief when the truth is revealed.

Track 8: On one side, I always found that the development of more "freedom" in jazz was a one-sided affair in a certain stage: greater freedom with respect to melody and harmony, but rhythmically not very interesting. I would be bored to death being a bassist having to walk in quarter notes all the time. This is something the Ornette Coleman Quartet did cultivate at some time. Don't take me wrong, he and the drummer play that very well and I like this track, it's just a general thought on a necessary step in the development. The combination of trumpet and guitar is rare and works well here. The guitar and trumopet couldn't do their thing without the steady pulse provided them by bass and drums. Some of it works only if the walking bass is there, by the contrast between those lines. No idea again, and again curious.

Track 9: Another interesting combination, guitar and vibes. Ellington's Main Stem, a very nice blowing vehicle. Like what they make of it. This is a vibist coming straight from the Hampton school into modern bop without incorporating too much of Bags, which I like. Not sure who it is - this is going to be expensive!

Track 10: There are several subsconscious streams running trough that BT: A strong Monkian one, a guitar stream, and a vibes stream! This is Ellington's African Flower, a beautiful tune, played a little too fast for my taste. Is this Gary Burton and Larry Coryell from the 1960's? The bent notes on the vibes - he almost overuses it - and the borrowed rock/blues licks in the guitar made me think of them. Is there some distortion in the original recording in the vibes? These guys have too many chops, and can't control them in the sense of giving them real deep meaning - this tune is much better when played a trifle slower. Compare with the Duke's version on Money Jungle. Why don't they take their time a little more? Then it would have been a five star track, so it's too much a display vehicle for their virtuosity.

Track 11: If this isn't Andrew Hill, it is someone heavily influenced by him. A million stars for this track! I will buy this!!! Love the writing, the unpredictability of the tune structured in varying numbers of bars, the dark, fat tone of the trumpet, that still has lyrical sweetness, the dark sax - or is this bass clarinet?, the sparingly used piano. It is the pianist that makes me hesitate - Andrew uses dissonances in a peculiar way that is missing here. These are real masters, saying so much with relatively few notes. I played this track several times in a row. Could this already be from the new Mosaic? Oh my aching bank account ...

Track 12: More of this well-paced stuff. I don't like that style of sax playing, but I hear his message, and it is appropriate here. I appreciate a well done track, even if some of the characteristics are not to my taste.

Track 13: I care very much about this particular style of piano playing - we all should care. Anybody still repeating this extreme misunderstanding of this master musicians' style, that had no or bad piano technique, should sit down at one and try to play exactly like this - and find out how hard it is to do. The master was in very fine form that day, and didn't have to use any of his trademark dissonant chords, which he did in a later recording of the tune, but the arpeggios and that peculiar pacing, are all there. The onliest ...

Track 14: Another must buy!!! I risk a guess and say it is Teri Thornton's Riverside disc, which rides high on my wish list. Anyway, I like it, the arrangement is great, the singer has that type of voice making me want to say "I will be doing anything for you, baby", ..... what more can I say? This: I want this now!

Track 15: This tenor cat sits high in my books, a nice tune nicely played, even if some think he played only two solos, one slow, one fast - can't be right, as this is mid-tempo - I like these two solos in any of their incarnations. He makes that bird sing ... Yeah, I hear ya, brother.

Track 16: A nice way to wrap up disc one: Just like Artie Shaw passed when we were discussing mmilovan's BT which featured a track of his, the news of JImmy Smith's passing is still fresh when we listen to this - what a stream of consciousness! Kenny Burrell, for sure - Grady Tate? Did he say Mojo? I passed over most of his Verve albums as I don't like the big band stuff, but this seems one to get.

What a nice disc!

Now how do I get it out to get the second one in ....

1 - did not recognize this at first because this was a stereo version. I have heard only the mono version of it. The first album I ever heard from the bass player and good enough to write an article about him when he was still alive (probably the first one ever).

The tempo was amazing and I was stunned that the three players managed to keep the pace and still be inventive. Track 6 from this album:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:jrpzef5khgf5

2- a Monk tune - can't name that one - that grows on me. Don't think it's Monk playing here but the pianist does a very worthy homage of it. Always liked the child-like tunes that Monk wrote and this one is among the best.

3- a Monk tune again. 'Ask Me Now'. Thought track 2 suited the homage theme better. This was more in the 'That's The Way I Feel Now' album mood. Nothing wrong with that. No idea who the players were but wetween 2 and 3, I'll get 2 first :D

4- Percussions galore! I have to be in the right mood to listen to that one and get it. Will need to return to that one!

5- Tenors galore. Well at least two of them. All part of the recent generation and I am not really familiar with most of the. The tenor players from some decades ago had a distinctive sound. The new ones have more technique but I don't think that make them better players. Hey, I'm just showing my age!

The accompanying crew does a great job.

6- A most infuriating track. I loved that one. The tune is from one of the Christmas songbook and I can't identify it! I'll be looking for the name of the guitar player! Probably the date leader. The mood is just right.

7- more guitar but it did not strike me as much as the previous one. Could not get into that one and moved to the next track...

8- nice but left me wondering who was involved! I only appreciated the trumpet player's contribution on the seond listening. Will get back to that one. The tight rhythm back left me impressed!

9- Main Stem. And this has to be KB. One of the recent albums from him I am not familar with! Another musician with a so identifiable sound. Always a pleasure to get aquainted with music from him... Could not recognize the other musicians. The vibes player was no Hutcherson!

10- another guitar and vibraphone collaboration. A different mood. I have heard that tune before. That must be Gary Burton! A very imaginative interpretation. One that I will return to. Absolutely lovely!

11- I like the way all the selections in the BFT have been arranged, the switching of the moods...

Another cut that grew on me! Will wait for the identifications to explore more of this music:

12- more of the mood music but with freer players. I loved the way the bass player follows the tenor saxophonist to build up the tension!

13- the first two notes gave this one way. The Master Himself taking care of it! Thanks for digging that album up. Had not listened to it in quite a while. My mistake! The Master dug deep to get to the essence of this composition. Track 5:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:uwf5zfd7eh2k

14- could not guess who sang or played that classic. The vocalist was a non-english speaking one. Don't think I'll pursue that album!

15- this was the second tune from the BFT I knew almost at once who was playing.

Another favorite player with a very distinctive sound. Not exactly his best album but worth exploring. And playing a tune from a favorite composer. Track 6:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:bt508qctbt04

16- and the closer is by a voice that has just gone. What a way to go!

Liked the disc I of this BFT better the second time around. I'll play it again. It's a keeper. And I really appreciate the care that has been taken to assemble the compilation.

Great work, Impossible!

I'd meant to get to these discs much sooner than I did, but this past week was much crazier than I expected. that said, here are my thoughts on the first disc:

Disc 1

1. I was wondering how many tracks would have vibes on your BFT. I'm not too well versed on them but, on this track, I really enjoy them. Crazy pace he has going! Who needs coffee when you've got music with this much energy? No clue who this is, but I really enjoyed the track.

2.Ok, I recognize the tune...Monk, isn't it? Not sure which tune this is. The playing seems to be a little too hesitant or tentative for my liking. Not bad, but not knocking my socks off, either.

3. Nice tune, interesting tap-dance like percussion. (or is that the sound of someone tap-dancing to the music?) No clue who this is, but I'm interested in finding out and hearing more by them.

4. Track #2 off of this: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:sqozefrkogf4

I had a hunch this would be him as soon as I heard the solo percussion w/ vocals. I know that you are a big fan of his. A master at work.

5. I kept thinking this track was going to go “free” but it stays pretty much in the pocket. Sounds like Lovano to me. No clue on the second horn. No new ground being broken here. Sounds like something from the late ‘50’s, but I’ll guess it was recorded in the early to mid ‘90s.

6. No clue who this is. More about mood than anything else. Something to listen to as background music (but not muzak) late at night as you decompress from the workday. I enjoyed this track much more than I initially thought I would.

7. Same basic reaction as track #6. Very nice mood created, without getting all new-agey.

8. Very nice track. It doesn’t really swing a lot, but it’s not overly cerebral, either. I’m really looking forward to finding out who this group is.

9. The guitar sounds like Kenny Burrell to me, no clue who is on vibes and drums. This one isn’t doing a lot for me. Too polite, perhaps.

10. My least favorite track so far. This has to be from the mid-1970’s or so. Fusion that doesn’t fuse. I like the vibes, but the guitar player sounds like he is attempting a different song than everyone else. Just does not click for me.

11. No clue. Nice track. The writing stands out more tha the playing for me. Competent, but not especially flashy playing. Curious to read who this is. I'm wondering if this is someone from the Jazz Composer's Collective? I'll guess Ben Allison, but that is just a stab in the dark.

12.Track #3 from this: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:7k967ui010jf I love this rhythm section,. This is just a beautiful album. One of my favorites by the bass player as a leader. I think a lot of people who haven't given him a listen because of the company he sometimes keeps would be pleasantly surprised by this disc.

13. More Monk interpretation? No clue who this is. A very nice take on the tune.

14. Sorry, not my cup of tea at all. No clue, not really interested in finding out.

15. I recognize the tenor’s tone, but just can’t place it now. This one is going to drive me crazy. I’m not familiar with the album, however. I’d prefer to hear him w/out the big band backing. Nice track but not something I’d return to very often.

16. A very nice way to close the disc, unfortunately. I don’t own a copy of this one, but will make sure to track it down. I’ve been going through all of my discs by him this week and am still amazed by how fresh and vital his playing from the ‘50s sounds in 2005. RIP

Great first disc, Cary! I’ll try to get my thoughts on disc #2 posted tomorrow.

IMO, a test leader ought to feel free to include what they want...

Well, not necessarily, but I do agree! I didn't want to alienate everyone!

Maybe next time around I'll put together a blindfold test featuring the extremities of my jazz listening. ^_^ This one was more about finding something in common with everyone. Seems like everyone is enjoying the music so far, MartyJazz included! Marty, the Babyface was just for you!

WOW! ...

T4- Another from a disc I have yet to hear (maybe) - sounds like it might be a cut from the Parker and Drake disc on AumFidelity? The trappist gets better marks from me than the percussionist accompaniment.

Sorry, just had to include the WOW! You understand. Marketing...

04 “Transcriptions” (Milford Graves) | MILFORD GRAVES Grand Unification | October 11, 1997. Milford Graves (drums).

B000003YTC.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The first time I heard Milford’s solo recording, Grand Unification, on Tzadik, I had a difficult time wrapping my head around the fact that he was the only musician featured and that there were no overdubs. This is stream of conciousness free-flowing drumming at its finest. I personally love this track for its fluidity. Milford now has a second solo recording on Tzadik called Stories. Physically, what the man does is supernatural. Mentally, I can't imagine.

His notes on “Transcriptions:” The double helix of DNA, the entwining serpents of the caduceus, and kundalini yoga through the awakening of charkas --- are the viable pathways for the descension of the triplicity of Olodumare (DNA), Baba N Kwa (RNA) and Olofi (Protein Production).

Mike posted a nice article recently. If you’re interested: click here.

Fine, include my wrong guess but not the right answer after your clue! :D

Here is another post Valentines Day read:

NY Musician Says Irregular Drumbeats Can Create a Healthier Heart

By  Maura Jane Farrelly

New York

10 January 2005

Anyone who has ever experienced the power of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony -- or the polyphony of a Georgian folk song -- knows that music can influence a person's mood. Many musicians also believe it can affect a person's body. A drummer in New York City has been investigating whether music can have an impact on the heart - and now he has some members of the medical community listening.

For the last 40 years, Milford Graves, 63, has been touring the world, playing drums. In 1967, he was proclaimed the brightest new talent of the year by Down Beat magazine. He still performs, touring most recently in Sweden. But, for most part, Mr. Graves spends his time nowadays teaching jazz improvisation at Bennington College in Vermont and conducting research into the physiological effects of music.

"If somebody's heartbeat comes in like this," he says, beating a solid, regular rhythm on a drum in his studio, "that's tight, very tight. You don't want that." He changes to a more variable beat and praises its effects on the heart. "It's more than theory,' he says, "because it works with a lot of people. I see it. It works. That's the bottom line. No matter how we explain it, the critical findings are real good."

What Mr. Graves has found is that a normal -- or what some might call a regular -- heartbeat, is actually quite irregular, comprising all sorts of random contractions that, until recently, doctors could not hear because the frequencies were too low. But, in the basement of his house in Queens, New York, Milford Graves has devised a way of using computers to identify and record these frequencies.

"See, it's only recording the big ones and the small ones," he says, as he plays a traditional recording of a heartbeat on his computer. "But we want all of them in there. Now you do it like this," says Mr. Graves, striking a key that changes the frequencies of the beat so that numerous other beats can be heard in between the main ones.

Mr. Graves compares these beats to music -- specifically Cuban and Nigerian drum rhythms -- in an effort to understand them. He beats out a passionate and powerful Nigerian rhythm on a bha-tah drum. "And the Cubans, when you hear the Cubans play their bha-tah, they make like [this]," he says, changing the rhythm to something entirely different, but equally erratic. "That's all those beats in between there. They're smart."

Milford Graves calls Nigerian and Cuban drummers smart, because he says they figured out centuries ago that an external, irregular drumbeat can have a positive influence on the health of a listener. He says these drummers probably did not understand why their music had that impact -- but now, thanks to computer technology, we can. Mr. Graves says music can actually re-program hearts that are not beating as irregularly as they should. "You can send another stimulus, to counteract that [unhealthy beat] inside," he says. "So you set up this interplay, to try to get this [drumbeat] to overrule."

Milford Graves' research was persuasive enough to convince the Guggenheim Foundation to give him a grant to update his equipment and continue his studies. He has also attracted the attention of doctors such as Baruch Krauss, an emergency room physician who teaches pediatric medicine at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Krauss calls Mr. Graves a modern-day renaissance man, akin to Leonardo da Vinci. He says researchers at prestigious medical schools like Harvard have only begun to understand what Milford Graves was able to discover in his basement -- that a normal heartbeat is poly-rhythmic.

Dr. Krauss says that, although the medical community is not yet ready to start using music to treat patients, physicians do use electronic pacemakers to correct rapid heartbeats -- a principle that is quite similar. "So you take an external pacemaker," he says, "and you feed in stimulus to the heart, to increase the rhythm even further, which actually drops it back down to normal. That's not very different, in principal, from what Professor Graves is proposing."

Of course, implanting a pacemaker does involve minor surgery, which is a bit more invasive than the acupuncture needles Milford Graves uses to deliver his drum patterns to an individual's heart. That is why Baruch Krauss says Mr. Graves' ideas about music and the body deserve further exploration and more funding.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

There was a symposium in Germany two or three years ago on exactly that subject: Heart rhythms and musical rhythm, especially in Africa - fascinating.

The Indians consider the typical rock beat, dum-dum-tah, dum-dum-tah as being extremely negative to human health, BTW.

Link to the symposium - sorry, most is in German.

Well, I promised myself I wouldn’t post the usual HAFC’s and NMCOT’s, but I’ve been exceptionally swamped the last few weeks. So, I apologize in advance for any brevity that follows, along with the usual cluelessness:

1. That’s so fast, it’s downright inhuman. Too fast for me. I’ll bet this is fun to watch, not much fun to listen to. Having said that, I think it’s Terry Gibbs. He’s the only one hyper enough to play that fast! :g

2. That sounds like something from one of the Columbia Monk solo albums.

3. Uhhhhhh, okay. Not really sure how to react to this one. Sounds like a bass clarinet and a muted trumpet playing Monk while double-dutching.

4. I’m sorry; five minute drum solos generally last ten minutes longer than I want them to.

5. Sounds like some Booker Ervin to me. No wait, I take that back. Some kinda FINE tenor battle goin’ there! With the Monk theme going throughout this disc so far, I’m gonna guess it’s Griffin & Jaws from that Monk disc they did together!

6. Very nice. This sounds like something off of the Blow-Up soundtrack, but it isn’t. I love the feel from this kind of song: cool air, late-night walks thru the neighborhood. Yeah, music like this was made for just such an activity!

7. Maybe if I wasn’t feeling so rushed right now, this would feel a lot better. This is one of those tracks I have to be in just the right mood for. Otherwise, it just sounds like endless droning. But on a good day, this would be wonderfully evocative!

8. That sounds like one of those old six-string bass guitars for the intro. No clue afterwards. Muted trumpets all sound the same after a while to me, so no clue as to that either. Has a nice sprightly swing to it, though! Sounds like Jimmy Cobb on the skins, that’s his kinda groove right there! Wait, on second thought maybe that’s Dizzy. Ahhh, I don’t know.

9. Wow, piano-less guitar and vibes! One of my favorite types of group! Can’t wait to find out who this is! Hmmm, sounds like Wes, but who could that be on vibes?

Y’know, the further I get into this disc, the more I dig the, er, vibe of this BFT!

10. Should know this, too tired to look it up. Very nice, though; love the electric guitar explosion there. Love the vibes-guitar front line again.

11. Love the beat; love that snaky, sultry, deep-pocket sliiiiiide. No clue, but eager to find out!

12. No clue, no interest. Sorry.

13. Sounds like solo Duke?

14. ??????

15. Ah, a big band! Now yer talkin’! Can’t wait to find out, too tired to even venture a guess. Sounds like a Quincy Jones or a Johnny Pate arrangement.

16. God rest ya, J.O.S. Keep ‘em greeeeazin’ up there for us, willya?

Alright, I'm gonna glance at y'alls guesses and hit the hay. And then probably kick myself in the morning after I read my own half-conscious guesses.......

OK, here at last are my comments--hardly any guesses!

1. Wow. But this strikes me as more an athletic feat than musically special. It's fun to hear people managing to keep that tempo, though.

2. Monk tune, can't recall the title. Not bad. Nothing surprising but the pianist sticks to his tough, unsentimental reading, which is miles from Monk's playful irony. Fingers of steel. Marcus Roberts?

3. Another Monk tune, "Ask Me Now," complete with tap dancer. A present-day bit of comfortable nostalgia.

4. M'Boom? Pieces of Time? No idea. Interesting sounds, not very groove-oriented. I like it.

5. Good transition from the percussion ensemble! Two very serious tenor players here. The first one sounds like Lovano to me. The second is also very much at ease. I thought of Joshua Redman because I know the two of them did an album together, but he tends to have a lighter sound and simpler lines. Could it be Branford?

6. I was skeptical at first because I thought the guitar sound was reminiscent of Bill Frisell, not my favorite. But in fact it's not terribly Friselly after all, and I really like the tune, as well as the very laid-back way it's taken. No clue who they are, but it's very tasteful and low-key. It grew on me a lot.

7. Another good transition - the guitar, the low-key atmosphere, the pretty harmonies. Very soothing. I feel like it's probably out of context; on the CD it's from, I can imagine this being one part of a longer flow. Works well here.

8. Nap time's over! I like this--might have liked it more if there were a pianist on board. The trumpeter sounds very familiar, with Miles and Cherry touches, but no guess.

9. Beautiful vibes. Kenny Burrell on guitar?

10. Less my cup of tea. The pop-rock segments with the guitar don't do it for me. I'd say a late 60's/early 70's Gary Burton group, perhaps remastered since it sounds pretty recent. This particular piece has dated, I think.

11. Good players, well crafted arrangement. Sounds recent but perhaps from someone who's been around awhile. The trumpeter certainly has a strong personality. Can't place him, though.

12. Archie Shepp? Bluesy, gutsy, kind of rudimentary. Good contrast with the previous tune. But I don't like the bassist at all--dull and plodding.

13. Don't know, DO care. Monkian, Ellingtonian... but who?

14. Not a bad singer. Don't recognize her, though.

15. Not sure if is this is modern or not. My first thought was Booker Ervin. BWTFDIK?

16. The only tune that made me want to fast-forward.

Finally began spinning the discs last night, did make it through 10 tunes so far, here's a few thoughts. As usual I never looked at this thread before, and as usual I'd done the listening away from my computer (no CD lists, no AMG, no google) and away from my collection...

#1 - Bebop... is this the tune of the same title? Pretty nice vibe3s! Nice setting, too! No idea really, but I'll go with Bags...

#2 - One of those Monk tunes I never remember the title of... performed by the highpriest himself, I assume. Love it! And I got a feeling this is on one of the many Monk discs lying around here (got the Riverside sans booklet in that ifamous zweitausendeins.de sale, also have the Columbia solo 2CD set). Can't pin it, don't have the discs here to compare.

#3 - More Monk. Very nice! I guess Monk performed by trumpet/bass clarinet/drums & tap-dancer is rare enough that one of the skilled googlers has identified this already. Love it, terrific groove!

#4 - More fancy rhythms... what are these tuned drums? Interesting, sure, but no idea once again.

#5 - Nice sequencing here! Pretty nice tune! I don't dare to guess on the identity of the first tenor, neither of the second... love it a lot. Nothing earth-shaking or inventive, but solid good music. Could be Ammons-Stitt (I hardly know their output)? Nice drum-solo, too, that builds and nicely segues into the theme at the end.

#6 - Another one I like. Fairly recent, I think? No idea...

#7 - Again very nice sequencing here! I like this one a lot. The guitar at moments has a ring that almost makes it sound like a sitar. Clarinet is played lovely, very soft.

#8 - Good opening. The guitar sounds a bit too soft for my likings, but the trumpet is very nice! Great drummer, too! Very nice to hear trumpet with just bass/drums.

#9 - I like this one a lot! The tune sounds very familiar. Yet another great drummer! I suppose this is another fairly recent recording and again I have to admit: no idea. Guitarist sounds a bit like Mark Whitfield? (I only know that one disc he did with Christian McBride and Nicholas Payton)

#10 - "African Flower" - what a beautiful composition! Great to hear some doorbellists on this disc! Some 70ies Gary Burton? Sam Brown?

seems like I'll draw a blank so far... more to come, I won't read here before I finish listening to all of it!

ubu

Here 'tis.

1 - Super vibes! Or should I say Supavibes?

Speedy stuff, very enjoyable, no clues as to who the players might be.

2 - At the beginning I'm saying Monk, but I think not. Did Oscar Peterson ever do a Monk tribute???? :unsure:;)

3 - Very short, very bass clarinet. Not too fond of the sound. Trumpet has a little Clark Terry thing going on.

4 - Not sure what to make of this. Could be one of the older guys in more current times. Max Roach?

5 - Now, this is really going somewhere! :tup:tup

Loved it! First tenor sounds like Sonny, doubt it is though, second tenor has a real sweet sounds as well.

6 - I thought I would have better chance at pickin' the name of the tune here, but I can't place it either.

7 - Probably a little too deep for me. I kept waiting for something else to happen.

8 - Jim Hall is my only guess for the guitar. This seems to be a newer recording.

Not bad.

9 - hehe, the tune I know for sure, it's Ellington's "Main Stem"!

That's about as far as I can go. No problem with it though, it's a swinger.

10 - Don't know. Not sure I dig this one too much.

11 - I enjoyed the feeling of this very much. Very strong trumpet.

12 - Tough for me to grab hold of.

13 - Love the tune, "I Should Care". Solo Monk, but man this sounds an awful lot like Duke doing it with a twist of Monk, or is it Monk doing it with a twist of Duke. That's just my ears. Obvioulsy I find beauty in both. I'm going to lean towards this is Monk doing it with a twist of Monk. I hope I'm right!

14 - The tune is a no brainer, but can't say I know the vocalist.

A fine version, not the best, but fine.

15 - Booker Ervin with a big band. I don't know the band, but it sure sounds like Ervin out front.

16 - Greazy, but at a loss with the organ. A big name, I'm sure.

Continuing disc 1:

#11 - Very nice one! No idea, but this ins one of my favorite cuts so far!

#12 - Wow! Things get even better! Love this one, great big tenor sound, nice deep bass, and yet another drummer who knows how to handle them brushes!

#13 - Yesterdays... great!

#14 - I guess I stop my comments now, I don't know sh*t... I really really enjoy this last bunch of tunes!

#15 - Oh wow! This one sounds very familiar, for a change! Love the Booger, love the bass trombone here, love the tune, and love its composer! A great CD this is from! What a pity it's OOP...

#16 - Greaze... if it's not the late master himself it's one fo those who learnded a lot from him. Late sixties or seventies? Kenny Burrell or Phil Upchurch? Don't like the drummer that much, but organ and guitar are so good, it doesn't really matter. Don't have any post '65 Smith (except for "Root Down" and the Eddie Harris live album), so I can't really tell.

more guesses coming in a few minutes in the other thread.

ubu

Can’t even give much in the way of guesses but at least I can have a look straight away after I’ve posted this to see what the answers should have been – no waiting. Not looking at anything – previous comments, AMG or anywhere.

1. Know this tune well but not the version here. “Bebop” or “Dizzys Fingers”. No guesses at who the players are, although that last arpeggio on the vibes sounds quite familiar. Just can’t pin it down though.

2. Know the tune here too – “Green Chimneys” by Monk. Is it him playing it?

3. Another Monk tune – “Ask Me Now”. Definitely no chance of names here – bass clarinet. No clue.

4. Drum solo – leaves me unmoved I’m afraid. No ideas.

5. Liked this much better. Can’t guess at it though.

6. No idea who is playing again. The tune is hauntingly familiar but so distorted that I can’t say what it is.

7. Weird – ethereal – intriguing, but I have no guesses yet again.

8. Like this one. Front line people don’t sound like I’ve heard before.

9. Don’t know the tune. I love the vibes as a jazz instrument but I still can’t put a name forward here. I thought for a while that the guitarist sounded like someone I know but then changed my mind. No guesses again.

10. Blues – plenty of vibes – good. Scratching about for at least one guess – could it be Jay Hoggard with Kenny Burrell? Doesn’t sound like the latter.

11. Another blues. Nice track but no clues.

12. So slow – takes some doing I should think. Didn’t like this one too much.

13. At least I know the tune – “I Should Care”. Interesting but still…

14. “Round Midnight” of course – I don’t know anyone here. Don’t think the trumpet on the intro is familiar.

15. No bells here either – can’t pick out the tune even. Quite like it though.

16. Blues with organ – still at a loss.

So that’s all I can come up with. Hope I do better on disc 2. Plenty I like in this one however. Thanks for an interesting listen. Onward…

9. Don’t know the tune. I love the vibes as a jazz instrument but I still can’t put a name forward here. I thought for a while that the guitarist sounded like someone I know but then changed my mind. No guesses again.

10. Blues – plenty of vibes – good. Scratching about for at least one guess – could it be Jay Hoggard with Kenny Burrell? Doesn’t sound like the latter.

:huh: It appears that you may have transposed your guesses for tracks 9 and 10. At least I hope so... :D

:huh: It appears that you may have transposed your guesses for tracks 9 and 10. At least I hope so... :D

Mmmm... perhaps the inconnect has a built in delay mechanism but that's no excuse. ;)

• 3 months later...

It has been a whirlwind few months for me and I totally fell off the BFT wagon. Now, I finally feel as if I have some time tonight, so I'll start where I left off!

Blindfold Test #23 Disc One

1. Bobby Hutcherson? Quite a frantic pace here, enjoyable start to finish.

2. Slowin' it way down, I really dig this piano track. No guess.

3. Love this off-kilter percussion. Really cool. Is that a baritone sax? Again, no guess.

4. Bu? Serious skills on the skins, whoever it is.

5. Nice sequencing. Infectious horn refrain, it gets stuck in my head. Reminds me of tracks on the Grachan Moncur III Mosaic Select.

6. Man, this guitar gets stuck in my head too! I find myself whistling those first couple notes at random times during the day. Larry Young on organ?

7. More ethereal guitar, a nice lazy theme. I'm feelin' these introspective sounds, very soothing.

8. I thought this one might grow on me, but it comes across a bit plodding and aimless to me. Miles?

9. More Hutch? Reminds me of that Moncur set again, great stuff!

10. Holy smokes!!! My favorite so far, this is audio bliss. So much happens in this 2:30. Beautiful.

11. It keeps getting better. This one and the previous are must-haves for me. What a bass line!

12. More great bass. Reminds me of Serge Gainsbourg, which is a very good thing to me!

13. Light, sensitive playing. Pretty, but a bit sleepy.

14. Well, at least I know one song title. I don't know the singer, but I enjoy her minimalism and lack of showing off. She's singing with the band, not trying to overpower them or trying too hard. Very nice instrumentation, a favorite standard of mine.

15. WOW!!! Another must-buy for me. Haven't the foggiest.

16. There had to be a slab o' grease in here somewhere! I recognize the tune but can't recall the name. The vocalizations are throwing me for a loop. As funky as they come!

Blindfold Test #23 Disc Two

1. Coltrane? Quality!

2. Whoa Nelly! Now we've jumped on the Sun Ra ship to the nether regions. Intense! The drummer had to be tired after this one. I love what he and the pianist do about two minutes in.

3. Andrew Hill? There is a very complex mind behind this piano playing, that's for sure.

4. Reminds me of Wes and Jimmy though I'm not certain. Grant and Brother Jack?

5. The intro made me think of Joe G's "Life Wish." I like this very much, especially the organ a few minutes in. Sad, but marvelous.

6. Wow, more heartbreaking stuff. I likes 'em slow! JJ Johnson trombone?

7. Ah, a jovial mood. Heck of a piano player. No guess.

8. My favorite on Disc Two. Melodious yet adventurous. Nice touch by the drummer. Pretty in a way I like better than Disc One Track 13.

9. My second favorite on Disc Two. Just good clean fun!

10. I have this. I know this. It's going to bug me the rest of the night. Groove Holmes?

11. Another one I think I have. No, I know I have this. Damn.

12. Samba De Orpheus. Grant Green?

13. I dig the Brasilian theme, a very enjoyable track.

Thank you very much impossible for the excellent discs, they will undoubtedly lead to additions to my collection. Now, on to finally read everyone's responses!

Edited by Noj