Player name problems

Michael Fitzgerald

• 2 weeks later...

Next:

I have a suspicion that the following are really all the same person - a NYC studio background singer:

Adrienne Albert (6 appearances - Cedar Walton: Mobius; Cedar Walton: Beyond Mobius; Weldon Irvine: Sinbad; Roland Kirk: Return Of The 5000 Pound Man; Jay Hoggard: Days Like These; Benny Golson: Brandenburg Concertos)

Adrienne Abbot (1 appearance on Duke Pearson: How Insensitive)

Adrienne Anderson (1 appearance on McCoy Tyner: Inner Voices)

Anyone have info? I guess next step would be contacting this, who I'm thinking is the right person (at least #1):

http://www.adriennealbert.com/biography.html

Mike

P.S. - George Braith: Musart lists Adrienne Barbeau??? I wonder if THIS is another to add to the list.

Well, I heard back from Adrienne who is very friendly but unfortunately: "I did do many recordings as a backup singer, many that I can't remember. As a studio singer, one comes in, sight reads the music, and leaves."

So it will remain a mystery for now. There are other possible leads to follow on this.

In the meantime......

Has NOBODY ever discovered the identities of "The Memphis Four" who accompany Frank Lowe on the tune "Chu's Blues" (Fresh, Arista/Freedom 1015) - seems that discographers have not even heard the tune to get the instrumentation. Here's what I hear: tenor - I think Lowe briefly doubles tambourine after his first solo is over, trumpet, Fender Rhodes, electric bass, drums, percussion. Which seems like Five plus Lowe.

Lowe's Cadence interview did not address this recording.

Mike

• 5 months later...

Another puzzler, not really discographical since I don't believe a recording exists -

From down beat June 12, 1969, p.44:

"Saxophonist Anthony Braxton gave a concert of Eric Dolphy's music April 25 at the University of Chicago, with a group including trumpeter/flugelhornist Leo Smith, pianist John Gilmore, bassist Malachi Favors, and drummer Thurman Barker. Braxton's a cappella performance on soprano of John Coltrane's Welcome at the memorial tribute to bassist Charles Clark April 18 (DB, May 29) was a moving farewell to that talented young musician..."

OK - this is NOT saxophonist John Gilmore then, correct? I had never heard of a Chicago pianist by that name.

Mike

While you are pondering that one -

In January 1968, Sonny Rollins traveled to Japan. His chosen pianist, Hugh Lawson had a visa problem and was detained in Hawaii. Rollins used a local Japanese pianist for the tour. down beat 4/18/68 p. 14 names him as "Masaaki Kikuchi". In another news item, p. 53, he is referred to as "the former Sadao Watanabe sideman".

I am wondering if this is the pianist I know as "Masabumi Kikuchi". Now, exploring the discographies, I find that there are TWO Japanese pianists with similar names - Masabumi Kikuchi and Masahiro Kikuchi. As a matter of fact, they recorded together in the early 1970s. Are they related?

The one who is credited as recording with Sadao Watanabe is Masabumi Kikuchi, so I *think* that "Masaaki" is equivalent to Masabumi. But there is some doubt.

Anyone got any more info on this?

Mike

P.S. - here's the Rollins news item, for the fun of it:

CLOSE SHAVE IN JAPAN FOR TENORIST ROLLINS

When tenor saxophonist Sonny Rollins arrived in Japan to commence a tour with a beard and a full head of hair, many fans complained to the promoters.

This wasn't the real Sonny Rollins, they claimed, but an impostor. The clamor grew so loud that Rollins, just before a concert in Akuta Prefecture in northern Honshu, had his familiar Mohican hair style restored. From then on, the fans were happy.

While in Japan, where he was accompanied by bassist Larry Ridley, drummer George Brown, and local pianist Masaaki Kikuchi, Rollins visited many Zen Buddhist shrines.

During a visit to Yokohama's Sojiji Temple, the sect's Japanese headquarters, the saxophonist reportedly expressed a desire to an English-speaking priest to return when he was able and spend two or three months at the temple in contemplation.

This wasn't the real Sonny Rollins, they claimed, but an impostor. The clamor grew so loud that Rollins, just before a concert in Akuta Prefecture in northern Honshu, had his familiar Mohican hair style restored. From then on, the fans were happy.

I remember reading that quote! I always think of it when I see a photo of Rollins with his Mohican.

Another puzzler, not really discographical since I don't believe a recording exists -

From down beat June 12, 1969, p.44:

"Saxophonist Anthony Braxton gave a concert of Eric Dolphy's music April 25 at the University of Chicago, with a group including trumpeter/flugelhornist Leo Smith, pianist John Gilmore, bassist Malachi Favors, and drummer Thurman Barker. Braxton's a cappella performance on soprano of John Coltrane's Welcome at the memorial tribute to bassist Charles Clark April 18 (DB, May 29) was a moving farewell to that talented young musician..."

OK - this is NOT saxophonist John Gilmore then, correct? I had never heard of a Chicago pianist by that name.

Mike

Different guy. John was a friend of mine and one of the few white players to work with the AACM guys at the time. He lives in California now and was in Chicago last week. John Litweiler and Terry Martin spent some time with him and report he's doing fine.

While you are pondering that one -

In January 1968, Sonny Rollins traveled to Japan. His chosen pianist, Hugh Lawson had a visa problem and was detained in Hawaii. Rollins used a local Japanese pianist for the tour. down beat 4/18/68 p. 14 names him as "Masaaki Kikuchi". In another news item, p. 53, he is referred to as "the former Sadao Watanabe sideman".

I am wondering if this is the pianist I know as "Masabumi Kikuchi". Now, exploring the discographies, I find that there are TWO Japanese pianists with similar names - Masabumi Kikuchi and Masahiro Kikuchi. As a matter of fact, they recorded together in the early 1970s. Are they related?

The one who is credited as recording with Sadao Watanabe is Masabumi Kikuchi, so I *think* that "Masaaki" is equivalent to Masabumi. But there is some doubt.

Anyone got any more info on this?

Here is some information.

I have both the Gil Evans and the Elvin Jones recordings, mentioned below, on vinyl:

Masabumi Kikuchi also known as ‘Poo’ Born Oct.19, 1939, in Tokyo.

Before going to Berkley, Kikuchi sat in Sonny Rollins’ Japan Tour.

Following 1972, Kiukchi went to the States to join Elvin Jones, touring New Port Jazz Festival, Toronto and many other places in EJ’s group. Also recorded “Hollow Out” with Elvin Jones with R.V.Gelder. In July that year, he held a recital inviting Gil Evans for the arrangement (+ Marvin Peterson;trumpet, Billy Harper; tenor saxophone) and recorded “Masabumi Kikuchi with Gil Evans”. This was the very start of the musical bondage of Kikuchi & Evans.

Masahiro Kikuchi was born in 1932, also in Tokyo. I have no idea if they are related but the both appear together on a Sato Wantanabe recording from 1970 or so.

• 1 month later...

Can someone confirm two (or more?) John Andersons and help clarify which participates on these:

1. trumpeter with Stan Kenton in 1945-47 (some touring)

2. trumpeter with Gerald Wilson in 1946, 1954

3. trumpeter with Count Basie in 1959 (some touring)

4. trumpeter with Stan Kenton in 1960

5. trumpeter with Johnny Mandel in 1961

6. arranger/leader on Ray Charles's Tangerine label in 1966

There are plenty more I could list. Basically, only active on the west coast for the two decades following WWII except touring noted above. Sometimes studio, sometimes serious jazz big band, sometimes smaller groups.

I'm thinking there are at least two because Kenton and Basie alumni usually don't intersect and someone who was in LA in the 1940s probably wouldn't have been able to play with both Kenton and Gerald Wilson because there were segregated locals of the AFM. So, I'm thinking #1 is white and #2 is the guy from Birmingham, AL that Buddy Collette talks about quite a bit in his book.

Did #1 come back and make three studio dates as #4? Or was that #2 doing a studio session?

At this point, I'm most concerned with #6 - is that #2?

Thanks for any assistance -

Mike

It gets worse - just found that "James Anderson" is credited on some 1940s Gerald Wilson......

Edited by Michael Fitzgerald

Managed to find this from the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame site:

http://www.digitrends.com/jazz/inductees/JohnAnderson.asp

=======================================

John H. Anderson

At an early age John decided to be a musician and he prepared himself to become a complete musician. He attended Alabama A&H College, leaving Birmingham in 1942 to play in the newly formed Navy Negro Band. He loved music especially the trumpet which he began playing at the age of nine. Upon the completion of 44 months in service, he decided to make Los Angeles, California his home. He studied Alto Horn and Trumpet in elementary and high school as well as the Los Angeles Conservatory of Music and Westlake College in Los Angeles.

Boot settled in California where he struck music gold. He teamed up with some of California's best musicians, Ernie Freeman, Buddy Collette and Chico Hamilton in the 40's and 50's - Recorded also "Tanganyika" in 1956. Then he joined Count Basie during 1959-60 where he served as arranger and trumpeter. He worked with Ray Charles in 1963-64, toured with Ike and Tina Turner during the 70's. His last album, "Time Will Tell" was recorded in 1970 for Tangerine Records owned by Ray Charles. Anderson led him own combos and big bands in the Los Angeles area, also arranging and conducting studio music. As his career progressed, Morgenstern in an article in Down Beat Magazine said, "John Anderson wears many hats, and unlike the proberbial 'Jack of all trades' he wears them all exceedingly well. He is a gifted arranger-composer, a leader, as well as an accomplished instrumentalist. His Latin musical influence came from Perez Prado, Tito Puente and Tito Rodriquez.

He died in 1974. Henry Van Dyke gives us words to think on as we remember John:

Let me live life from year to year

With forward face and un-reluctant soul...

Still seeking what I sought when but a boy

I shall grow old, but never lose life's zest

Because the road's last turn will be the best.

He was inducted into the Alabama Jazz Hall of Fame in 1981.

=================

So that answers some questions, but not all.

Mike

The liner notes to John Anderson's LP 'Time Will Tell' produced on Ray Charles label Tangerine do not shed much light on his career except it notes he played with Count Basie, Benny Carter and Ray Charles. The notes add - as already mentioned - that 'his arrangings not only shows influences from these greats, but a Latin flavor derived from stints with Perez Prado, Rene Touzet, Tito Puente and Tito Rodriguez'.

Then 'as an arranger, John Anderson is probably best known in musical circles for his contributions to the books of Count Basie, Harry James and Ray Charles.'

Great! Can you supply timings for the tracks on that LP and also, is there a first tune "Time Will Tell"? Who is composer? Some sources don't list that track and it's a very common tune title.

Lastly, I don't suppose there's any info as to personnel specifics (there's a whole lot of tenor players on that album who probably don't play all together).

This info for Walter Benton discography now online.

Mike

John Anderson 'Time Will Tell', Tangerine TRC-1506.

Side 1:

a- Time Will Tell (Ernie Freeman) 3:46

b- Brasilia (John H. Anderson) 4:16

c- I've Grown Accostumed to your Face (Loewe & Lerner) 3:38

d- Flame on The Desert (John H. Anderson) 3:34

Side 2:

a- Frantic Fiesta (Freddie Lu Simon) 3:20

b- The Twister (John H. Anderson) 4:23

c- Passeone Blues (John H. Anderson) 4:30

d- A Woman Of Stature (John H. Anderson) 3:45

Band line-up:

Bobby Bryant, John Audino, Anthony Terran, Melvin Moore, 'Harry 'Sweets' Edison (tp), Lou Blackburn, Pete Myers, Ernest Tack (tb), Harold Land, Teddy Edwards, Carrington Visor, Walter Benton, Jewell Grant (sax), William Green (piccolo), Buddy Collette (flute), Jack Wilson (p), Robert West (b), Mel Lee (dr), John Pisano (g).

Arranged and conducted by John Anderson.