Percy France - I SHOULD CARE (1980)

JSngry

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear hear. I got one from Allen back in '09 and the price (inc postage to UK) was astoundingly good. The album is worth a LOT more than what I paid.

MG

PS - I used to have the album with Sir Charles Thompson - 'Swing organ' on Columbia, but didn't keep it for many years before I got poor. I managed to get another copy about a year ago and, whereas I'd have agreed earlier that it was geared for radio plays and not allowing much room for stretching out, now I don't think that's important. What I think is important, is:

1 Mr Armstrong never had trouble getting across within 3 minutes in the twenties.

2 Percy's sound - like that of so many other tenor players of his approximate era - damn well speaks for itself.

3 OK, he can do other stuff. Fine. But he did this, too, among not a very great deal of recording, so let's listen to it for what it is, not what it might have been had it been recorded for Prestige or Blue Note.

MG

On 08/02/2005 at 6:33 AM, AllenLowe said:

like more than a few musicians I've known Percy was very comfortable in his hometown, had his own little niche, and may have been just a little bit nervous about trying for wider exposure - I've seen this in more than a few musicians who just didn't want to deal with a lot of the business aspects of the music and the complications of greater fame -

C. Sharpe was like that. Jimmy Raney, too. Did they have egos? Sure, but they were really about the music... 

On 10/02/2005 at 5:53 AM, AllenLowe said:

I honestly don't remember who was backing Marsh (it's been almost 25 years); the banded for LP thing was posted by someone else, I think - and as an added comment on Percy's other recordings, which are very good, none, I think, captures him as well as my little "live" recording -

Usually quartet with guitar. Randy Johnston played with him at the West End, and, I think, a guy named Bob Ward...