cd storage for large collections

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On mine it was at least 6 inches, which is part of what made them look so ridiculous. I don't know if they changed or made a goofy batch or what, but it was a lot of overhang.

The backwards thing isn't a bad idea if you really want to use the formica tops, but then you can't put them against the wall.

re: formica... formica is not hard to come by. Home Depot or Lowe's will cut to spec for you. In the end, it will probably be less expensive than what can am is charging.

as for shelves, why not build, or construct them yourselves? Again, Home Depot or Lowe's has everything you would need to do this, and less expensive than a pre-fab kit, though you can certainly piece together a nice rack using some of the closet kits...

I use these Iris plastic storage boxes. Each box fits 74 CDs in two rows (of 37 each, obviously). The drawer slides out and you can read the CD spines on top. They cost about $10 each, so for $100 you have storage for 740 CDs. If you stack them three high, you can still pull out the bottom drawer easily. After that, the combined weight makes it a little tight to pull out the bottom drawer. I like the fact that you can stack them anywhere, move a few boxes to another location at will, and your CDs are hidden and in a sealed container.

Office Max sells them. Office Max has regular storewide sales, so I get a bunch of them at each sale. They used to be available at Organized Living, but the store closed in my city.

6201611950_dt.jpg

Iris Medium Stacking Storage Drawer - Black

These drawers are designed to stack and lock together, creating your own custom storage system. Made of high-impact polypropylene, each pull-out drawer is clear for easy viewing of contents, and drawers are nestled in a black case. Medium is 7-1/4 inches x 11-3/4 inches x 17-1/2 inches.

Edited by Hot Ptah

On mine it was at least 6 inches, which is part of what made them look so ridiculous. I don't know if they changed or made a goofy batch or what, but it was a lot of overhang.

The backwards thing isn't a bad idea if you really want to use the formica tops, but then you can't put them against the wall.

re: formica... formica is not hard to come by. Home Depot or Lowe's will cut to spec for you. In the end, it will probably be less expensive than what can am is charging.

as for shelves, why not build, or construct them yourselves? Again, Home Depot or Lowe's has everything you would need to do this, and less expensive than a pre-fab kit, though you can certainly piece together a nice rack using some of the closet kits...

You assume that we possess a certain bare minimum amount of handiness.

In my case: desire to do something with my limited free time other than a construction project, desire to not have something that looks like I made it in my living room, and lack of wall space (due to an abundance of windows) that neccesistates a pull-out drawer system like what can-am makes.

OTOH, I really do think the can-am stuff is very expensive for what it is. It is nicer than comparable products, but I don't know that it is really worth so much more.

If everything goes according to plan, in about 25 years I'll have an awesome woodshop with a tablesaw, drill press, router, bandsaw, and all the tools and materials to construct furniture for my mansion.

If everything goes according to plan, in about 25 years I'll have an awesome woodshop with a tablesaw, drill press, router, bandsaw, and all the tools and materials to construct furniture for my mansion.

Actually, basic tools are remarkably inexpensive. A walk through a Sears store will reveal that. I wonder how many members here have the skills to build a set of CD shelves from scratch? I do not.

My situation is that I do not want the CDs to be visible. More accurately, I have been directed by "she who must be obeyed" (to quote Rumpole) that the CDs WILL NOT be visible. So shelves are not the answer, unless one could also build doors to close on them. Now that is a project requiring more skill.

Do you know any carpenters? It wouldn't be difficult to build something that looks like it has always been there...

In my case: desire to do something with my limited free time other than a construction project, desire to not have something that looks like I made it in my living room, and lack of wall space (due to an abundance of windows) that neccesistates a pull-out drawer system like what can-am makes.

OTOH, I really do think the can-am stuff is very expensive for what it is. It is nicer than comparable products, but I don't know that it is really worth so much more.

Actually, basic tools are remarkably inexpensive. A walk through a Sears store will reveal that. I wonder how many members here have the skills to build a set of CD shelves from scratch? I do not.

My situation is that I do not want the CDs to be visible. More accurately, I have been directed by "she who must be obeyed" (to quote Rumpole) that the CDs WILL NOT be visible. So shelves are not the answer, unless one could also build doors to close on them. Now that is a project requiring more skill.

I bet you do have the basic skills to build a shelf. You may surprise yourself. Just look at a shelf and you should be able to figure it out. Very basic. Cabinets, on the other hand, slightly more skill to build nice boxes. I leave the boxes up to my carpenter friends.

Yeah, I understand... when I'm not working, I'd rather be on the boat, rather than building shelves, but it is one afternoon... I can miss out on a few fish for a nice set of shelves.

After remembering how many weekends I invested in constructing shelving floor to ceiling against a 21 foot long wall, I'll gladly pay for prefab units again. Thirty minutes or so apiece and then load the CDs.

Not to mention the lost writing income from the time spent sawing, sanding, painting, fastening, troubleshooting, etc.

absolutely! this is why, in my post about my configuration, i mentioned that i had a top fabricated (for $100.00) that works far better than the can-am piece. i guess i should have made it clearer. i could have saved you some time.

4) The formica tops are, IMO, atrociously ugly. To *me*, they look MUCH better without them. I hope they aren't too much of a hassle to return, as they are about $200/each. If you are on the fence about the tops, I recommend either not getting them or only getting one to see if you like it before getting enough for you entire set up. Also be aware that with the top on, it is near impossible to get at the last dozen or so discs in the top drawer, as there is 6-8 inches of overhang. Awful, awful, awful - worst mistake I've made all month.

• 1 year later...

Thought I might give this thread a bump. I've put all of my CDs in the those plastic sleeves like they sell at Jazz Loft (http://www.jazzloft.com/p-34281-space-saving-cd-sleeves.aspx). I now have thousands of them, but it's next to impossible to find anything when they are on shelves. You can't read the spines very well. I'm thinking about moving over to a system like Can-Am, but am unsure if the plastic sleeves (which are slightly bigger than jewel cases) will fit. Does anybody know? And have there been any other decent storage systems that have be developed over the couple of years since this thread was discontinued? In particular, is there anything that enables you the flip through CDs from front to back (instead of storing them on their sides as with regular shelves) like the Can-Ams? Perhaps something that's a little less expensive? Thanks in advance.

They do fit but in a weird way the fact that in some cases you have to keep the original sleeves, like the ones made by the label Act, helps visually to figure out where you're at, because the spines will at times be hard to read.

You're out of luck if you want to visualize better your collection unless you want to build yourself separators with artists names like you see in cd store

I have 95% of my collection in plastic sleeves now - I use left over jewel cases as separators by genre or musician (with sticky labels on). Hunting down a CD you haven't listened to in a while can be a problem at times (especially if misfiled) but (to my mind) is more than compensated for by the space saved.

They do fit but in a weird way the fact that in some cases you have to keep the original sleeves, like the ones made by the label Act, helps visually to figure out where you're at, because the spines will at times be hard to read.

You're out of luck if you want to visualize better your collection unless you want to build yourself separators with artists names like you see in cd store

I guess that's kinda what I had in mind. My main concern is thtat the plastic sleeves fit in those monsters, so I guess I'm ok. Do you have one of those Can-Am storage systems? If you do, what are your thoughts?