Stan Getz Quintet Interpretations series

Alec

There are a total of three LPs. The one at i-tunes is quite nice. I downloaded it. A bargain.

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet (Norgran MGN 1000)

Bob Brookmeyer (vtb) Stan Getz (ts) John Williams (p) Teddy Kotick (b) Frank Isola (d)

Los Angeles, CA, July 30, 1953

1241-4 Love and the Weather

1243-4 Spring Is Here

1245-2 Crazy Rhythm

same personnel

Los Angeles, CA, August 15, 1953

1265-3 Willow Weep for Me

same personnel

Los Angeles, CA, August 22, 1953

1278-2 The Nearness of You

1279-2 Pot Luck

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet, #2 (Norgran MGN 1008)

Bob Brookmeyer (vtb) Stan Getz (ts) John Williams (p) Teddy Kotick (b) Frank Isola (d)

Los Angeles, CA, August 15, 1953

1263-1 Minor Blues

1264-2 Fascinatin' Rhythm

same personnel

Los Angeles, CA, August 22, 1953

1276-1 I Don't Know What Time It Was

1277-1 Tangerine

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet, #3 (Norgran MGN 1029)

same personnel

Los Angeles, CA, July 30, 1953

1242-3 It Don't Mean a Thing

1244-1 The Varsity Drag

Bill Anthony (b) replaces Kotick

Los Angeles, CA, November 9, 1954

2036-1 Give Me the Simple Life

2037-1 Oh, Jane Suavely

2040-1 I'll Remember April

** also issued on Verve MGV 8122.

Edited by jazzman4133

I did some research about these sessions recently and came to the conclusion that the best way to get them actually is to get this 2-CD set from Definitive (not a label I normally would recommend):

B0001QNO7Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

It contains all the material on the three Interpretations albums, as well as the April 1953 session that made up half of the 10" album The Artistry Of Stan Getz (one of the four tunes from this session later made it to the 12" album Stan Getz and the Cool Sounds, which has been reissued on CD). Since this set contains the complete master takes from these sessions, it also contains the three tracks from the last session that were on other albums (two tracks on the Shrine album, and another track on the Cool Sounds album).

As you see, the 2-CD set has, in typical Definitive fashion, been released under a sideman's name (Brookmeyer). Why Verve hasn't done anything with this material before it entered the public domain is beyond me. There is an unissued track they could add, It Don't Mean A Thing, from August 1953. (Getz would soon record that number again for Norgran: first in December that year with Dizzy Gillespie, and then live with Brookmeyer at the Shrine Auditorium in November 1954.) There are also a few alternate takes they could add.

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet (Norgran MGN 1000)

Is this the John Williams who's now a famous film composer but was a jazz pianist or is this the other jazz pianist named John Willams? I notice this was done on the West Coast so maybe it's

the film composer.

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet  (Norgran MGN 1000)

Is this the John Williams who's now a famous film composer but was a jazz pianist or is this the other jazz pianist named John Willams? I notice this was done on the West Coast so maybe it's

the film composer.

A classic confusion of names. John Williams is a very good jazz pianist who recorded an album of his own on EmArcy. He was considered a rival of Horace Silver in the early fifties.

He recorded a couple of excellent albums on his own.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:mtsqoauaiijm

Not surprisingly, the pianist John Williams entry in the AMG listing includes two albums: the EmArcy reissue of the jazz pianist John Williams and a big band date by the other John Williams!

Interpretations by the Stan Getz Quintet  (Norgran MGN 1000)

the film composer.

A classic confusion of names. John Williams is a very good jazz pianist who recorded an album of his own on EmArcy. He was considered a rival of Horace Silver in the early fifties.

He recorded a couple of excellent albums on his own.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...10:mtsqoauaiijm

Not surprisingly, the pianist John Williams entry in the AMG listing includes two albums: the EmArcy reissue of the jazz pianist John Williams and a big band date by the other John Williams!

So the John Williams on this cd is not the film composer? I aways ask because Benny Carter told me that the film composer used to gig with him. So I figured he must have been pretty good.

• 3 years later...

Just upping this thread as I was doing some Getz searching on the Board and realised that Classics have a disc that covers alot of this material.

i28244rjonc.jpg

Track listing:

1 Love and the Weather Berlin 6:34

2 It Don't Mean a Thing Ellington, Mills 6:22

3 Spring Is Here Hart, Rodgers 6:11

4 The Varsity Drag Brown, DeSylva, Henderson 7:00

5 Crazy Rhythm Caesar, Kahn, Meyer 5:53

6 Minor Blues Brookmeyer 7:05

7 Fascinatin' Rhythm Gershwin 8:04

8 Willow Weep for Me Ronell 5:22

9 I Didn't Know What Time It Was Hart, Rodgers 7:41

10 Tangerine Mercer, Schertzinger 7:06

11 The Nearness of You Carmichael, Washington 3:43

12 Pot Luck Mandel 3:56

AMG Link.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the note, Cliff (and in the other Getz thread as well). I try to avoid Definitive releases when possible, and it looks like I can pick up the Classics issue instead, and get most (some?) of the same tracks.

No worries Late, it looks like the Classics edition covers all but one of the sessions, the last one, as per the discog. above;

Los Angeles, CA, November 9, 1954

2036-1 Give Me the Simple Life

2037-1 Oh, Jane Suavely

2040-1 I'll Remember April

** also issued on Verve MGV 8122.

So it misses out on 3 tunes. As many people have pointed out there is a great Mosaic Select in the making here, there must be a few more sessions they could put in there to fill up 3 discs???

• 2 weeks later...

So it misses out on 3 tunes. As many people have pointed out there is a great Mosaic Select in the making here, there must be a few more sessions they could put in there to fill up 3 discs???

Well, it's even your current avatar - they could add the Live At The Shrine album.

I suggested this set to Michael Cuscuna a while a go and he liked the idea a lot,

saying that they'd wanted to to a bigger Stan Getz set a few years back but Verve

wanted to do something themselves (the result being the East of the Sun set). With

Verve's reissue program being what it is now, a Mosaic Select might happen after all.

Edited by Kyo

So the John Williams on this cd is not the film composer? I aways ask because Benny Carter told me that the film composer used to gig with him. So I figured he must have been pretty good.

Different people:

John "Star Wars" Williams did do jazz recordings... there's a couple of four-piano LPs with Marty Paich and...

Well, see

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record.php?record_id=2097.

and

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record.php?record_id=1668

F

PS And then, there's John Williams, the classical guitar player.

PPS Where do I sign for a Mosaic Select of the Getz-Brookmeyer quintet?

Thanks for the note, Cliff (and in the other Getz thread as well). I try to avoid Definitive releases when possible, and it looks like I can pick up the Classics issue instead, and get most (some?) of the same tracks.

I don't have access to my CDs right now to check, but didn't the Blue Moon label cover all of these Getz/Brookmeyer early Verve albums about 8 years ago in their Stan Getz series?

I don't have access to my CDs right now to check, but didn't the Blue Moon label cover all of these Getz/Brookmeyer early Verve albums about 8 years ago in their Stan Getz series?

Yes, that seems to be right, although I think these are from earlier, mid-to-late 1990s.

- The Complete 1952 - 1954 Small Group Sessions Vol.2 1953

- The Complete 1952 - 1954 Small Group Sessions Vol.3 1953-1954

These two were also put in a box together with this one.

And these are live:

- Live at Hi-Hat, 1953, vol. 1

- Live at Hi-Hat, 1953, vol. 2

I can't quite remember who did a single CD with some Brookmeyer-Getz recordings too... but in any case, I think that a reissue with access to primary sources would sound much better than any of these reissues.

F

Well, it's even your current avatar - they could add the Live At The Shrine album.

I suggested this set to Michael Cuscuna a while a go and he liked the idea a lot,

saying that they'd wanted to to a bigger Stan Getz set a few years back but Verve

wanted to do something themselves (the result being the East of the Sun set). With

Verve's reissue program being what it is now, a Mosaic Select might happen after all.

'With Verve's reissue program being what it is now'

and Verve being owned by Universal it may not even be what it was 'then' See my posting today on the Universal Fire