cabarnet and Oscar Peterson

okay clearly I need to go back and finish my glass and perhaps the bottle :P

but I was just listening to Telarc's new boxed set of the Oscar Peterson Trio Live at the Blue Note recordings. These were issued as individual discs in the 1990's. The set was recorded in 10/1990 with Herb Ellis, Ray Brown and Bobby Durham. I had one of the individual discs and decided to buy the set since Telarc was selling it for less than $30....

Fabulous set.... Anybody get it???

I have to say the more I listen to O.P. the more I can help but enjoy his stuff...

Here's the Telarc link for those interested...

http://www.telarc.com/Jazz/title.asp?gsku=...K6RUAJXLX7PE6K0

camian.com at Amazon.com has it for $24.68 and cduniverse.com has it for $27.35...

NOW.... I'm going to finish my wine... !!!! :P

I ordered that box the day it was released from--guess who--CAIMAN. It IS great (and what Allen Lowe neglected to say is that he's never sober anyway and, hence, is quite the OP fan). I enjoyed this box so much I ordered another one--again from CAIMAN--for my father. I'm not ashamed to say I'm a big OP fan. If you don't have it, you should also try his 4-CD box, "Exclusively for My Friends." Those recordings are from the mid-60's, and were made in Germany in front of an intimate gathering--VERY nice. I also love the 50's drummerless trio with Brown and Ellis, including "Live at Zardis," "At the Concertgebouw" and "At the Stratford Shakespearean Festival." Then of course there's "Night Train," . . . . But you didn't ask about all these others, did you? :rolleyes:

Add me to a fan of this set.

I also got the 6cd live set: "Olympia - Pleyel - Th. Champs Elysees de 1957 a 1969. Oscar with Ray Brown, Bobby Durham, Roy Eldridge, Herb Ellis, Louis Hayes, Jo Jones, Sam Jones, Stuff Smith, Clark Terry, Ed Thigpen, and Butch Watanabe.

I'm still getting through the set but for me there is a lot to like here.

I'll also second the "Exclusively for My Friends" series which has been reissued by MPS in 6 vols in dual SACD and CD format. This is some of his best work IMHO.

Has anyone ever heard the "Live at The Stratford Festival" set?

You have to admit; there are nights when the guy is really playing!

Go ahead, have a drink!

The Oscar Peterson Trio

At the Stratford Shakespearean Festival

Label: Verve

Issue number: V6-8024

Recorded August 8, 1956 - Stratford (Stratford Shakesperean Festival).

I also got the 6cd live set: "Olympia - Pleyel - Th. Champs Elysees de 1957 a 1969. Oscar with Ray Brown, Bobby Durham, Roy Eldridge, Herb Ellis, Louis Hayes, Jo Jones, Sam Jones, Stuff Smith, Clark Terry, Ed Thigpen, and Butch Watanabe.

I'll also second the "Exclusively for My Friends" series which has been reissued by MPS in 6 vols in dual SACD and CD format. This is some of his best work IMHO.

What's the label on that Olympia set, and do you know if it's still in print? (I want to buy it for Allen Lowe for Valentine's Day :P )

Has anyone ever heard the "Live at The Stratford Festival" set?

You have to admit; there are nights when the guy is really playing!

Go ahead, have a drink!

The Oscar Peterson Trio

At the Stratford Shakespearean Festival

Label: Verve

Issue number: V6-8024

Recorded August 8, 1956 - Stratford (Stratford Shakesperean Festival).

I have that CD (and recommended it above). It's terrific--the interplay between OP, Ray Brown, and Herb Ellis is phenomenal, and MAN, they really swing. :tup As I said above, I also highly recommend "At the Concertgebouw" and "Live at Zardis" from the same period.

I have all of the above.

Plus lots more.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Blue Note live box although I have all the original Telarc CDs, simply because the Telarc site said the box set was remastered. Anyone able to confirm that (and that it's worth getting the whole shebang again)?

I didn't see anything on the Telarc site about the box being remastered, but the Chicago Tribune review excerpt quoted on the site refers to extra tracks in the box. I haven't compared the tracks in the box to the original single CD's, so I have no idea if there are any extra in the box. And I can't compare the sound since I don't have the original CD's. I, too, have other Oscar Peterson CD's not previously mentioned in this thread, but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere--Oscar's been quite prolific, and apparently is still going strong. :tup

I have all of the above.

Plus lots more.

I'm thinking of purchasing the Blue Note live box although I have all the original Telarc CDs, simply because the Telarc site said the box set was remastered. Anyone able to confirm that (and that it's worth getting the whole shebang again)?

I didn't see anything on the Telarc site about the box being remastered, but the Chicago Tribune review excerpt quoted on the site refers to extra tracks in the box. I haven't compared the tracks in the box to the original single CD's, so I have no idea if there are any extra in the box. And I can't compare the sound since I don't have the original CD's. I, too, have other Oscar Peterson CD's not previously mentioned in this thread, but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere--Oscar's been quite prolific, and apparently is still going strong. :tup

Yes, yes and yes.

I have noticed though that his post-stroke material that was recorded recently (the live DVD from Austria, for example) shows some serious deficiencies (especially after repeated viewings). In the beginning I was amazed that he could still play, but on that DVD you can see the kind of total blunders that show and the way his close buddies (in a positive sense) cover all the holes in OP's playing. At times I just cringed. Sad to see, although, again, it is amazing how he can still get it together somewhat and how much love and support he gets from a dedicated audience.

Sorry to say, but I think he should stop recording, no matter how much I like/love much of his stuff.

Cheers!

I have all of the above.

Plus lots more.

As I mentioned earlier... I had one of the CD's. I read through the boxed set's liner notes and the package itself and it doesn't mention anything about being remastered. I don't seek any new tracks....

If you've got all 4 it's probably not worth it... but if you don't - $25 for 4 live OP CD's is a great deal....

Hope that helps...

I ordered that box the day it was released from--guess who--CAIMAN. It IS great (and what Allen Lowe neglected to say is that he's never sober anyway and, hence, is quite the OP fan). I enjoyed this box so much I ordered another one--again from CAIMAN--for my father. I'm not ashamed to say I'm a big OP fan. If you don't have it, you should also try his 4-CD box, "Exclusively for My Friends." Those recordings are from the mid-60's, and were made in Germany in front of an intimate gathering--VERY nice. I also love the 50's drummerless trio with Brown and Ellis, including "Live at Zardis," "At the Concertgebouw" and "At the Stratford Shakespearean Festival." Then of course there's "Night Train," . . . . But you didn't ask about all these others, did you? :rolleyes:

Hey Ron...

Do you remember where you got the "Exclusively for My Friends" box and for how much? I remember looking at it when it came out but it was running for $60 or so in stores....

Can you provide a little more info about those recordings? Band? You said it was live - Where and when?

How would you rate it compared to the 1990 Telarc set???

thanks

:)

What's the label on that Olympia set, and do you know if it's still in print? (I want to buy it for Allen Lowe for Valentine's Day :P )

The 6CD box was originally released in France as part of the RTE Paris Jazz Concert series. RTE even added a separate seventh Oscar Peterson album from other Paris 1961 thru 1969 concerts. Great music there!

Not sure the whole lot has been reissued on other labels.

I ordered that box the day it was released from--guess who--CAIMAN.  It IS great (and what Allen Lowe neglected to say is that he's never sober anyway and, hence, is quite the OP fan).  I enjoyed this box so much I ordered another one--again from CAIMAN--for my father.  I'm not ashamed to say I'm a big OP fan.  If you don't have it, you should also try his 4-CD box, "Exclusively for My Friends."  Those recordings are from the mid-60's, and were made in Germany in front of an intimate gathering--VERY nice.  I also love the 50's drummerless trio with Brown and Ellis, including "Live at Zardis," "At the Concertgebouw" and "At the Stratford Shakespearean Festival."  Then of course there's "Night Train," . . . .  But you didn't ask about all these others, did you? :rolleyes:

Hey Ron...

Do you remember where you got the "Exclusively for My Friends" box and for how much? I remember looking at it when it came out but it was running for $60 or so in stores....

Can you provide a little more info about those recordings? Band? You said it was live - Where and when?

thanks

MAN, you ask a lot of questions. :P The 4 CD's in the box actually cover several sessions recorded from 1963 to 1968. They were recorded for a German record producer in his private studio in his villa, in front of a few invited guests. So, while they're live recordings, there is a very intimate feel to them (as if you had Oscar and friends come play for a few friends in your house). The first 3 discs are all trio performances with, depending on the session, Ray Brown or Sam Jones on bass and Ed Thigpen or Bobby Durham on drums. The fourth disc is just Oscar perfoming solo.

I haven't done an A-B comparison of "Exclusively for My Friends" and "Live at the Blue Note," but in general I'd say that "Friends" is a bit more mellow than "Blue Note" and, as I said, it has a more intimate feel. The recording of "Friends" probably doesn't have the immediacy and presence that "Blue Note" has, as you'd expect given the different times in which they were recorded, but it sounds great.

I got my copy of "Friends" from . . .[drum roll] . . . CAIMAN! :g They have it now for $43.43, as does jazzclassicaloperashop (from whom I've also made several purchases and who is EXCELLENT--IMMEDIATE first class shipping with tracking).

BTW, speaking of Caiman, the Farlow set was delivered today. :tup:excited:

Edited by Ron S

sorry, I know this makes me sound like a troll, but the only way I can listen to Oscar Peterson is to drink heavily - all right, please, just ignore me and get on with this O.P. thread -

well, as Tom Waits once said, I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - of course, with OP I'm uncertain -

Trolling.

I ordered that box the day it was released from--guess who--CAIMAN.  It IS great (and what Allen Lowe neglected to say is that he's never sober anyway and, hence, is quite the OP fan).  I enjoyed this box so much I ordered another one--again from CAIMAN--for my father.  I'm not ashamed to say I'm a big OP fan.  If you don't have it, you should also try his 4-CD box, "Exclusively for My Friends."  Those recordings are from the mid-60's, and were made in Germany in front of an intimate gathering--VERY nice.  I also love the 50's drummerless trio with Brown and Ellis, including "Live at Zardis," "At the Concertgebouw" and "At the Stratford Shakespearean Festival."  Then of course there's "Night Train," . . . .  But you didn't ask about all these others, did you? :rolleyes:

Hey Ron...

thanks

MAN, you ask a lot of questions. :P The 4 CD's in the box actually cover several sessions recorded from 1963 to 1968. They were recorded for a German record producer in his private studio in his villa, in front of a few invited guests. So, while they're live recordings, there is a very intimate feel to them (as if you had Oscar and friends come play for a few friends in your house). The first 3 discs are all trio performances with, depending on the session, Ray Brown or Sam Jones on bass and Ed Thigpen or Bobby Durham on drums. The fourth disc is just Oscar perfoming solo.

I haven't done an A-B comparison of "Exclusively for My Friends" and "Live at the Blue Note," but in general I'd say that "Friends" is a bit more mellow than "Blue Note" and, as I said, it has a more intimate feel. The recording of "Friends" probably doesn't have the immediacy and presence that "Blue Note" has, as you'd expect given the different times in which they were recorded, but it sounds great.

I got my copy of "Friends" from . . .[drum roll] . . . CAIMAN! :g They have it now for $43.43, as does jazzclassicaloperashop (from whom I've also made several purchases and who is EXCELLENT--IMMEDIATE first class shipping with tracking).

BTW, speaking of Caiman, the Farlow set was delivered today. :tup:excited:

thank you sir....

that's VERY helpful...

No more questions from me.... I will have to check out that set....

I'm glad you got the Farlow... I assume mine will come shortly...

Get the "Exclusively" set.

Many parts of it I like better than the Blue Note live set (and I really do like that one). Reason? It's got that intimacy (some of the recordings sound like the trio were practically sitting on each other and if you look at photos from those sessions, it was like that as well.) and much of it is OP at his best.

As an aside. I remember reading that the Exclusively sessions took place in the intimate setting because of contractual obligations. OP was not allowed to perform outside of contracts before larger audiences, so the German producer set it up as a private concert in his living room for friends, recording everything with his equipment upstairs.

There is another disc which collects stuff that wasn't on the original box set, but it is only partially good.

Cheers!