Albums that define the Blue Note Sound

Big Al

A couple of comments in the "Overrated BN CDs" inspired this, partly because I've never been able to get into COOL STRUTTIN'. I say that with some reverence, though, as I do acknowledge that it is one of those albums that defines the Blue Note Sound.

Same with BLUE TRAIN. Another classic that deserves every accolade heaped upon it. Outside of "Moments Notice," though, it doesn't do much for me.

And (I know Brad's gonna add me to his death list for this), no matter how many times I listen to GO, it too does nothing for me. But my personal preference doesn't keep me from acknowledging it as a classic Blue Note, and in fact were someone to ask me for a good starting point for Dexter, this is the album I would suggest.

But enough negativity. These albums (including those mentioned above), IMHO, define the Blue Note Sound for me:

Somethin' Else

Soul Station

Maiden Voyage

Speak No Evil

Finger Poppin'

Blue Lights

For starters, anyway! :tup

I think it's interesting that two of the most important Blue Notes, "Somethin' Else" and "Blue Train", were made by artists who did very little on the Blue Note lable. Neither Cannon nor Trane ever recorded for Blue Note as a leader again, yet they helped define the sound and substance of Blue Note through their limited contributions.

To me, two of the ultimate Blue Notes are Grant Green's "Idle Moments", which is so much more than the sum of its parts (it doesn't sound like a Grant Green album, that's for damn sure), and Eric Dolphy's "Out To Lunch", which sounds like nothing else. While these albums didn't necessarily spawn a host of imitators, they represent the best of what the lable had to offer.

:blink: Which Blue Note "sound"?

The one that "Runnin' Wild" is a good example of?

The one that "Genius of Modern Music Volume One" is a good example of?

The one that "Plays Fats Waller" is a good example of?

The one that "Roll Call" is a good example of?

The one that "JuJu" is a good example of?

The one that "Joyride" is a good example of?

The one that "Understanding" is a good example of? :wacko:

OK, here we go-

I have to start with Blakey's "A Night At Birdland" & "At The Cafe Bohemia", these albums set the standard for all the live jazz recordings that followed ;) .

then: "Moanin", "Blue Train", "Somethin' Else", "Soul Station" & "Roll Call", "Whistle Stop", "GO", "Cool Struttin" and "The Sidewinder" (I might even throw in "Cornbread"). These are not necessarily listed in order... :P

For me it's Go!, Cool Struttin', Soul Station, Leapin' and Lopin', Moanin', Finger Poppin', Roll Call, Idle Moments, Blowin' the Blues Away, Workout, Far Away Lands, True Blue, Jackie's Bag, and I know I'm leaving out something but the Hell with it.

Say man, I picked up a ciopy of that album a few weeks ago, and whoever one of the previous owners had covereved up the word "bitch" with a piece of masking tape and had written the word "women" on it.

WHO IS THIS WOMEN ANYWAY? has a nive ring to it, like ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.