How many of us does this apply to?

Hardbopjazz

Here is a small audio clip of a girl asking her guy who this is. Mind you, this is the end of the show, and she had no idea whom she just saw live for the past hour. I had to compress it all the way to 8kb to fit it here, so the sound if quite muffled. It is also zipped.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

I used to have a friend who would put his dates through "The Elvin Test ". He would take them to see Elvin Jones ( in NYC, of course ) and if she didn't get exited over the set he would drop her.

Ahh... those were the days!

That's great! :tup

That's how you know if you've found THE ONE. :g

Heck, if Laurence Fishburne had known that... ;)

I used to have a friend who would put his dates through "The Elvin Test ". He would take them to see Elvin Jones ( in NYC, of course ) and if she didn't get exited over the set he would drop her.

That's great! :tup

That's how you know if you've found THE ONE. :g

I dated a woman back in '84 who literally got sick listening to Jack DeJohnette back up Sonny Rollins at a concert. The drumming was so loud she wound up excusing herself to go to the ladies room and throw up. Not an auspicious sign but I married her anyway. Many years later, she still doesn't like loud drums but the music I put on has opened up her ears considerably to the good. Sometimes, it takes some time.

Wow, I guess I'm lucky!

Over the past 17 years, Sharon and I have gone

to see a variety of bands/performers that've included

Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Pharoah Sanders, Fela,

Shivkumar Sharma (w/ Zakir Hussain), a.o. and she's loved 'em!

As a matter of fact, in '93, it was her - with tears -

who told me that Sun Ra had just died.

Taking her to one of these Wire sponsored Empty Bottle

performances would be no problem at all.

Rod

---

Now playing: Joey DeFrancesco with Jimmy Smith - Blues for Bobby C.

I didn't have the opportunity to administer this test to the woman I married, but a year or so afterwards, Elvin was here in south Florida, we went, and she definitely passed the test then.

But then again, I married her, so I probably already knew that deep down.

Edited by Dan Gould

I used the same test, except it was with Coltrane records. I would drop any girl who wouldn't fuck to Coltrane and Hartman. (I guess I could have upped the ante and used Ascension as the litmus test)

my wife always orders a mosaic for me for christmas or my birthday.

one of the first sets she ordered was out of the catalog with louis armstrong on the cover.

when she spoke with mosaic he asked her, "is it the catalog with louis armstrong on the cover?"

her response, "i don't know it's some guy in a white jacket?"

she had no clue how hilarious this must have been on the other end.

now whenever louis is playing i wil ask her, "do you know who this is?"

she always say, "is it the guy in the white jacket?"

it's a little inside joke we have.

she'll never be into jazz, but i think i'll keep her.

I guess I am lucky, too. My wife and I have been going to jazz concerts and festivals together since we started dating several years ago. But he doesn't listen to jazz at home (although I am playing jazz CDs all the time) or buy jazz CDs at all.

Speaking of loud drums, I just saw one in the Kenny Garrent quartet last night. The young drummer, named Ronald Brunner, plays so loud (so does everyone else in the group) that I thought he would break the drum sets someday.

Hmmm.. this topic seems a bit too close to the male characters in DINER (Daniel Stern's record collector, Steve Guttenberg's football marriage test). I developed my passion for jazz around the same time that I started dating the woman that I ended up marrying, but I never tried to push it on her--in part because a previous boyfriend had once insisted on playing KIND OF BLUE for her 13 times in a row. Guys can be cultural fascists, you know? He totally ruined the album for her; I never play it when she's in the house. However, she's come to like jazz quite a lot since moving in with me, and she's enjoyed a lot of the jazz concerts we've gone to together. (We usually trade off on paying for dates, but I always pay for any jazz concert that we go to together.) She still raves about seeing Sonny Rollins in Indianapolis in 1999, and she's become quite a fan of Indpls. saxophonist David Young, whom we've seen twice now.

On the other side of things she's gotten me interested in early music, which is something I would have paid little attention to otherwise. We have a pretty nice mix of both intersecting and different interests, which I think is the best kind of situation for a relationship, and so I'm genuinely grateful (in all kinds of ways) to be with her.

She still raves about seeing Sonny Rollins in Indianapolis in 1999, and she's become quite a fan of Indpls. saxophonist David Young, whom we've seen twice now.

Did you see Sonny Rollins at the first Indy Jazz Festival? I am still kicking myself for not going to see him that time....

Yeah, David Young has great! I wish he would come out and play more often.

Barb will never like jazz that much, although she enjoyed a disc I burned for her of carefully selected tunes (heavy on the ballads, bossa nova, etc., nothing even remotely 'out there'...) she's just not cut out to be a jazz fan. She looks for completely different things in music than I do. But so what? We have other things in common, and we seem to get along well enough. Hey, the way she keeps her CDs so disorganized, I'm glad she doesn't like jazz; mine would be a mess as well!

She still raves about seeing Sonny Rollins in Indianapolis in 1999, and she's become quite a fan of Indpls. saxophonist David Young, whom we've seen twice now. 

Did you see Sonny Rollins at the first Indy Jazz Festival? I am still kicking myself for not going to see him that time....

Yeah, at the Madame Walker Theater... amazing show! First time I ever saw one of the giants/legends.

I've seen David Young twice: once at the Hampton Sisters show at the IHS (Nov. 2003, I think) and down here in Bloomington several months later, when he played with David Baker and several musicians/teachers from the IU School of Music. He played a killer version of "In a Sentimental Mood."

Yeah, at the Madame Walker Theater... amazing show! First time I ever saw one of the giants/legends.

I've seen David Young twice: once at the Hampton Sisters show at the IHS (Nov. 2003, I think) and down here in Bloomington several months later, when he played with David Baker and several musicians/teachers from the IU School of Music. He played a killer version of "In a Sentimental Mood."

I wish I had been there...