Ellington--ASSAULT ON A QUEEN score?

ghost of miles

The other day I was reading a biography of another musician, and Ellington's name came up in conjunction with a mid-1960s movie called ASSAULT ON A QUEEN, for which Ellington was said to have contributed the score. I vaguely remember seeing this film as a kid on "Picture for a Sunday Afternoon," or some such, but did Ellington actually pen new music for it? And if so, was it ever released on vinyl or CD?

Looks like the Ellington score for this film was never released on vinyl and CD.

From the various pages on the film in 'Duke Ellington, Day by Day Film by Film', this was a financially rewarding project but an artistic near-disaster.

The score was performed by a combination of Ellington musicians and studiomen with Bud Shank and Buddy Collette among others.

Seems Ellington was not happy with the final result.

Finally saw the film a few years ago, and in more tahn a few spots, the soundtrack sounded like there had been studio players none to skillfully dubbed over Ellington's own players. There were two simulataneous layers of sound - that of the Ellingtonians, and that of the studio players. Different recording sounds for each. The results were disorienting, to put it mildly.

The film itself was ok, nothing special.

• 3 years later...

I can only imagine how bad the soundtrack must be after some clown overdubbed additonal instruments on top of Duke Ellington's score. I'm guessing that "The Big Heist," which features Bud Shank on flute with Ellington's band in Shank's new DVD/CD Against the Tide, is either an outtake that wasn't used or is under a different title in Ellington's discography.

Note: I just heard this selection this morning, fortunately, it doesn't have the later overdubs. Paul Gonsalves and Jimmy Hamilton are also featured soloists.

Edited by Ken Dryden

I can only imagine how bad the soundtrack must be after some clown overdubbed additonal instruments on top of Duke Ellington's score. I'm guessing that "The Big Heist," which features Bud Shank on flute with Ellington's band in Shank's new DVD/CD Against the Tide, is either an outtake that wasn't used or is under a different title in Ellington's discography.

Note: I just heard this selection this morning, fortunately, it doesn't have the later overdubs. Paul Gonsalves and Jimmy Hamilton are also featured soloists.

Bud once told me that while it was a great thrill to work with Duke and his men, Ellington didn't exactly arrive at the sessions well prepared. And Duke's guys had a certain amount of trouble with what was written.

Ken, thanks for posting this--I came across mention of the Shank/Ellington side the other day and meant to revive this thread. Didn't somebody working on the film give a reel of tape to Shank with the comment, "They're never going to use this--you might as well have it?"

Buddy Collette has spoken highly of these sessions on which he also played. I tried to track down the original Ellington score. Never did get it but was able to obtain a a couple of cds of the music which was finally used in the film. Some of it is pure Ellington, some EKE with overdubs and some just studio musician playing music not by EKE. It would be great if Shank has a copy of all the original Ellington material.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of people (including me) have been trying to get access to the original tapes. I think (hope) that Steve lasker has been haviang more success than I have.

I understand that a Cd which comes as part of a DVD package on Bud Shank called Against the Tide contains one track from the score pre: studio musicians being added - I think. I just bought the DVD recently but have not had a chance to listen yet.

• 7 years later...