One more from 'Jazz in Paris'

brownie

The 'Jazz in Paris' series from Gitanes/Universal is back with one double CD

(Hors Serie 01) entitled 'Sacha Distel, Jazz Guitarist'.

The 2CD include various jazz sessions recorded between 1954 and 1968 by Distel

who played excellent guitar before turning into a pop singer.

The special edition has:

- the rare 1956 Versailles 10-incher 'Jazz d'Aujourd'hui' with arrangements by Billy Byers

(two of the eight tunes feature a rhythm section of Gene DiNovi, George Duvivier and Charles

Saudrais),

- the very rare 1957 Versailles session with Bobby Jaspar (and Rene Urtreger, Benoit

Quersin and Paul Rovere, Al Levitt and Billy Byers),

- two tracks from the ultra-rare 1954 French Philips LP 'Jazz Boom nr. 1) where Distel

plays with Hubert Fol, Rene Urtreger, Pierre Michelot and Mac Kac,

- two tracks from the film sountrack to a 1961 Roger Vadim film (with Kenny Clarke),

- the complete 'Back to Jazz with Slide Hampton' 1968 EMI album (with

arrangements by Slide Hampton).

No news yet about additional volumes.

Good to hear that this series is still active. It's well-priced, sounds good, and often has excellent music. I picked up 14 titles from this series about two months ago in a buying binge, and haven't been disappointed with one. The "Jazz et Cinema" mini-series within this line is a favorite of mine.

:eye:my wallet

:rlolmy ears

Good news, indeed, brownie!

I love that whole series, too, got about a third or half of them (I'm not so good in counting my CDs, seems like I don't really want to know just how many they are ;) ) - and I have to second the recommendation to pick up some of the lesser known names, too. The Wilen is a personal favorite, the Thompsons, Jaspars, René Thomas, the Cinémas, the Bebop disc, the Hodeir/Jazz Groupe de Paris things, the Bill Coleman, the Saxophones, ... many hours of listening pleasures!

ubu

Ubu, hope you also checked the Bernard Peiffer albums and the Rene Urtreger

Plays Bud Powell CD. Rare sessions from two underrated French pianists.

The Urtreger album may be short on playing time (it was originally a 10-inch LP)

but it is filled with great music.

Ubu, hope you also checked the Bernard Peiffer albums and the Rene Urtreger

Plays Bud Powell CD. Rare sessions from two underrated French pianists.

The Urtreger album may be short on playing time (it was originally a 10-inch LP)

but it is filled with great music.

Not yet, brownie (I counted them yesterday and I got even more than half of'em!), but I plan on picking up some more of these. I like Urtreger but hardly know Pfeiffer (except from some appearances as a sideman).

Thanks for your recommendation (and still grateful for you pointing me to that Chet Baker disc)!

ubu

Fantastic series. So many great ones - the Slide Hampton, Lucky Thompsons, Rene Thomases, Jaspars, Bacsiks, Crollas (one could feast on just the relatively obscure guitarists featured alone), the list just goes on. Stellar remastering too...and nice cover photos although I find the liners are pretty useless beyond the basic track and personnel listing (pretty fluffy and basically restate the obvious, akin to the Dan Morganstern jobs for the RVG series - he can and has done much better).

That 2CD set sounds too good to pass up - more vintage Slide Hampton!

Edited by DrJ

And now they have come out with a 7CD box reuniting all the Django Reinhardt

material they previously issued in single CDs!

does this include exatly the same stuff as the 7 single volumes? or any additional material, so we need to have the box, too?

and yes, that Slide Hampton disc is a marvel!

ubu

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Distel set yesterday - this is one very fine set! Some great Bobby Jaspar on it, too! Those two live tracks (Half Nelson and I'll Remember April) with Hubert Fol (as), René Urtreger (p), Pierre Michelot (b) and "Mac Kac" Reilles (d) are nice to have, and from the Sacha Distel-Bobby Jaspar Quintette (with René Urtreger, too) you get six tracks, among them a great take on Everything Happens To Me - Jaspar is really moving on this one!

Anyone knows what #2-? might include? Any news out there?

ubu

Edited by king ubu

On an unrelated/ sort of related note, has anyone heard the disc in this series simply called BEBOP? I saw it at a used shop last night and was intrigued but decided to hold off on buying it. It features a number of different groups, those of Don Byas and Howard McGhee among them.

While I'm at it, I saw the Lucky Thompson disc from the same series, although I'm not certain which one it was (assuming there's more than one Thompson disc). How's that one?

The Bebop CD isnt bad by any means, some of the later transfers are from pretty dodgy originals but quite listenable. I dont recall too many other details but I wasnt disappointed with this one

All the LT's in this series are excellent, if you had to chose one I would go for the All stars date with Dave P.

pryan, I have that Bebop disc. It has four sessions. Two with Don Byas, featuring fellow sideman of the Don Redman band (which toured Europe in 1946 - a broadcast of theirs has been released on the swiss TCB label, in their Swiss Radio Days Jazz Series TCB Homepage), a Howard McGhee session featuring Jimmy Heath (then still "Little Bird") on alto, among others, and James Moody session (which has another tenor aboard, but I can't remember who it is).

The Byas material features Tyree Glenn as co-leader and is of the transitional swing-to-bop kind, while the McGhee and Moody are pure bop.

Then there are three Jazz in Paris with Lucky Thompson. One has him paired with the blues pianist/singer Lloyd Price, the others belong to his very nice Paris recording legacy from 1957, if I remember correctly. They're in a similar vein as the Vogue recordings (in case you know these), they have two sessions each, one with quartet (Henri Renaud, if I remember correctly) and three nonet or tentet sessions. The main attraction is Thompson himself. These are among his most cherished sides, I think. In the Mosaic Select wish list there was some talk that it would be nice to have a Thompson Paris select.

ubu

Edited by king ubu

The Thompsons are called "Modern Jazz Group" and "With Dave Pochonet All Stars". If you like them, look for the two "Complete Vogue Recordings" CDs (you might still be able to find them at amazon.fr, for a decent price, I think).

More info on "Bebop":

- Don Byas, Ree-boppers (Holland, Glenn, Taylor, Tilché, Bouchety, Oliver. 1947)

- Don Byas / Tyree Glenn Orchestra (Holland, Rostaing, Taylor, Tilché, Bouchety, Oliver. 1947)

- Howard McGhee Sextet (Heath, Powell, Biddle, Heath, Wright. 1948)

- James Moody Quintet (Peck, Byas, Pfeiffer, Simoens, Frost. 1949)

wowee! the second tenor is Byas, too! Forgot about that. Must listen to this one again, soon!

ubu

• 4 weeks later...