David X. Young's Jazz Loft

Brad

It's a 2CD release. And very interesting. With a great booklet. These were recorded during jam sessions that were held between 1954 and 1965 at the Loft of painted David X. Young. First time issue for all this music.

Zoot Sims is the main player on both CDs with Bob Brookmeyer, Pepper Adams, Dave McKenna, Mose Allison, Jim Hall, Jimmy Raney and others featured.

Not really essential but a joy to listen to...

The music is good, interesting stuff, but for me the best part is the book, which has a lot of reproductions of Young's art and a lot of photographs. The package sort of documents the whole scene they had there. I'm very glad to own a copy.

There is a great deal more material on tape than what was issued. I have heard some of it and it is very engaging. These were sessions where the guys were playing for themselves, and I think it's very intimate, with a nice friendly relaxed dynamic.

I was disappointed in the sound on this set. It sounds like home recordings casually made with one mike (which is what it is). Some of the musicians are a bit off mike. The music is good but not great. It's always nice to hear Zoot blowing, and I agree that the book is nice, but I can't consider this set essential.

Boris Rose's stuff is usually off radio or television and I have mostly found the sound to be acceptable. This set falls below that, IMO.

When this first came out it was priced pretty high, around 40-50 bucks, IIRC. $6.99 is a great price! jack