Help me decide....

tonym

Well, I'd say you have the essence of the VV set in the master takes disc, and to my mind, if it was one or the other (and regardless of price...) I would go for the (In)Complete Quartet box. More music, more music new to you, and more bang for your buck. You can always add the Deluxe editions as and when if you find all the bonuses and the edge in mastering desirable. (If you are that much of a completist I think you'd theroetically have to have this box anyway). Good as VV is, some of the tracks are of interest rather than essential.

Yes, I'm a subversive, I know...

The Woods offers these prices, post included. I don't know if they are best you can get in UK but Woods are usually good.

COLTRANE, JOHN Cpte 1961 Village Vanguard Offer 39.99 IMPD 4232

COLTRANE, JOHN Complete Impulse Studio Offer 49.99 IMPD 8280

I see that Caiman have a very good price if ordered via amazon.co.uk, esp. on VV set, though with usual caveats as to possible duty payable.

Edited by David Ayers

Hey tonym,

I've got a Complete Village Vanguard set (20-bit 1997 U.S. version), that I'd be willing to let go at a pretty reasonable price. Don't know what shipping would be to the U.K. (anyone care to take a guess??), but I'm only looking to get about $32 out of the set itself (is $8 per disc reasonable?). The set is in excellent condition.

Or maybe we could work out a trade of some sort. Send me a PM with anything you might have to trade (no live chickens, sea shells, or macadamia nuts accepted :P ).

Or else maybe I could find some U.K. imports on the Dusty Groove site that would interest me, and have you pick them up for me on your side of the pond, and send them my way.

Edit: Just sent you a PM.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Get Coltrane Plays the Blues and Ole on Atlantic, take two aspirins, and check in here tomorrow.

Well I have a fair bit of his Atlantic stuff (as well as his Prestige dates) but I find his sound later more 'manageable' (obviously, that would be up to a ceratin point!). Plus, the group 'sound' with Tyner et al is quite unique.

f54385ligot.jpg

Seriously man, go for Ole if you don't already have it. Really amazing stuff.

I love this record so much that I've probably blown through ten or eleven copies over the years. Every time I get a new one a end up giving it to a friend. B-)

Get Coltrane Plays the Blues and Ole on Atlantic, take two aspirins, and check in here tomorrow.

Well I have a fair bit of his Atlantic stuff (as well as his Prestige dates) but I find his sound later more 'manageable' (obviously, that would be up to a ceratin point!). Plus, the group 'sound' with Tyner et al is quite unique.

f54385ligot.jpg

Seriously man, go for Ole if you don't already have it. Really amazing stuff.

I love this record so much that I've probably blown through ten or eleven copies over the years. Every time I get a new one a end up giving it to a friend. B-)

I'll third the recommendation for this album.

Heck... I love this album so much, I chose it for my album of the week (a long time ago...).

Well, I've spoken to Rooster and about 5 minutes prior to the pm, I had just completed an order for the Studio set. I know, I had sort of decided against it above. But then these British guys show up and start telling me all this stuff :rolleyes:; Gary, you know I look upon him as our ambassador for all things 'Trane, but you know, he probably just listens to everything the man recorded, Penny Whistle tapes, the works :P

Well you live and learn. No doubt the VV set will be on order in the near future too.

Thanks again fellas.

BTW. STOP with the Atlantic recommendations already; like kicking a man while he's down. ;)

Well, I've spoken to Rooster and about 5 minutes prior to the pm, I had just completed an order for the Studio set. I know, I had sort of decided against it above. But then these British guys show up and start telling me all this stuff :rolleyes:; Gary, you know I look upon him as our ambassador for all things 'Trane, but you know, he probably just listens to everything the man recorded, Penny Whistle tapes, the works :P

Well you live and learn. No doubt the VV set will be on order in the near future too.

Thanks again fellas.

BTW. STOP with the Atlantic recommendations already; like kicking a man while he's down. ;)

Ahh the Atlantic sessions , Tony have you ever considered this one??

d534378ho4m.jpg

;)

(ambassador ? you flatter me )

Thanks for all the advice fellas. It's decided then; the VV box followed by some post-ALS stuff on individual albums. I'll also try to get hold of Crescent and Ballads (in their 'deluxe' forms, if possible).

Thanks again.

I wouldn't bother with the deluxe version of Ballads -- I've heard most of the material and it really doesn't add much to the original album. Lots of repetition of the original tunes without much variety in tempo.

I'd say that before getting the Studio Recordings box, you should see whether getting the stuff separately might be cheaper. Either way, you will have to pick up Live at Birdland since only three tracks on that are on the box and it's very essential. I second the suggestion of Crescent, though that's duplicated on the box. The 1965 quartet recordings are excellent; my favorite of those is Sun Ship.

Guy

The Impulse studio box is a waste of money when the albums are available individually, in their proper tracking, with added material. I regret buying that box when it came out - I was too excited to think, plus it was on sale for a good price. I never listen to it and it's a mess dealing with the CDs in the box - lousy packaging. The VV is the box to get. That stuff is amazing. :tup I can listen to it over and over. Plus the packaging is great.

Speaking after the fact, I know...

Tony: the (In)Complete box is really nice, in my opinion. For myself I did just as a few others did: bought the box, got rid of the single CDs, and then also got the Deluxe sets (including Ballads).

You'll have to get the Atlantic (am I speaking after the fact here, too, and you just didn't tell us yet? Or is your wife looking over your shoulder? ;))

Get the box if you want it all in a nice package, get the European Rhino (jewel case) reissues if you want the fine sound (though I didn't check any of the Tranes out, myself, and won't, as I love the box - hell, my first ever boxed set of CDs).

Then, "Africa/Brass" is a very fine 2CD set, as has been said. It was among my first Coltrane CDs (just after the Atlantic, which was THE first Trane, if you don't count a tape of "My Favourite Things" I made from the library, and my fathers LP of "A Love Supreme," which I wasn't able to dig back then [i was fourteen]).

And if you feel like checking post-Love Supreme trane: go directly to "Sun Ship" (part of the [in]Complete box) to hear some of the most accessible (and beautiful) free jazz ever recorded!

ubu

I just have problems fitting the Studio sessions box back into that metal sleeeve in which it came.

For me, I find myself listening to the single discs of Africa/Brass (well, double disc) and Live at Birdland and ALS that I do listening to the box set, and I have both.

Ole can't be recommended enough. Put me down for a recommendation also. I have the Coltrane Deluxe, and I like the extra material a lot. Not as repetitive as the Ballads Deluxe; and the A Love Supreme Deluxe is absolutely a must, if you are choosing the Deluxe route next. Oh, don't forget the European Tours box on Pablo. The sound isn't the greatest but the performances are always fascinating. Nice to hear them do Blue Train during this period, too.