TCM PRIME TIME MOVIE DISCUSSION CORNER

Anybody see The Mind Reader & The Clock Monday night? Two lesser-known (I guess) films that made for a great evening of unhackneyed entertainment.

Especially The Clock. I've gone almost 50 years without ever using "Judy Garland" and "sexual" in the same thought, much less the same sentence, but jezus krist, some of the facial expressions she gave out with in this movie were combined love and lust in a noearl;y overpoweringly sensual way I don't know that I've ever seen anywhere else. Wow...

Tonight's The Odessa File, which I remember as being pretty good, followed by The Ipcress File, The Day of the Jackal, and Suddenly, which is a really good, creepy, relatively low-budget (seemingly) presidentila assassination flick starring Frank Sinatra as a war vet turned wannabe killer.

Not a bad schedule at all.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charade, which is a favorite of mine, is one of those films that you can watch over and over again.

Same here. I've never been all that taken w/Audrey Hepburn, but she pushes all the right buttons in this one.

My wife and I have had a cheapie DVD edition of this for about a year and finally got around to watching it the other night... Wow!! Great cast, great chemistry between Hepburn and Grant, lots of sharp, witty dialogue... much fun.

Why was Hepburn nearly always paired with much older men? Bogart in SABRINA, Astaire in FUNNY FACE, Grant in CHARADE... even Gregory Peck in ROMAN HOLIDAY seems at least 10 years older than her. The only movie I can think of where her romantic partner is approximately the same age is BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (George Peppard, and in that one the chemistry definitely ain't there IMO).

Why was Hepburn nearly always paired with much older men?  Bogart in SABRINA, Astaire in FUNNY FACE, Grant in CHARADE... even Gregory Peck in ROMAN HOLIDAY seems at least 10 years older than her.

And don't forget Rex Harrison in MY FAIR LADY. :wacko:

Charade, which is a favorite of mine, is one of those films that you can watch over and over again.

Same here. I've never been all that taken w/Audrey Hepburn, but she pushes all the right buttons in this one.

My wife and I have had a cheapie DVD edition of this for about a year and finally got around to watching it the other night... Wow!! Great cast, great chemistry between Hepburn and Grant, lots of sharp, witty dialogue... much fun.

Why was Hepburn nearly always paired with much older men? Bogart in SABRINA, Astaire in FUNNY FACE, Grant in CHARADE... even Gregory Peck in ROMAN HOLIDAY seems at least 10 years older than her. The only movie I can think of where her romantic partner is approximately the same age is BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (George Peppard, and in that one the chemistry definitely ain't there IMO).

There was a not cheap Criterion edition that had a fascinating commmentary track by Peter Stone the writer and Stanley Donen the director. I think the same commentary is available on a new edition from another company.

On that commentary one of them says that Grant insisted that he not pursue her becaseu that would be unseemly given the differences in their ages.

Charade is sadly in the public domain now.....

Are you sure? The Criterion people told me that they obtained the rights from Stanley Donen.

Perhaps they got the rights to the original negatives from Stanley Donan??? The only film I had heard of having the rights bought back was It's a Wonderful Life by NBC/Republic...But it may have happened with Charade...just couldn't find info....

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...8602282-4872952

• 2 weeks later...

Re: Grant and Hepburn, I knew that there was an attempt to cast Grant for ROMAN HOLIDAY... but just came across a reference to an attempt to cast him for SABRINA as well! (In place of Bogart.) Hmmm.... I love Grant and Hepburn's chemistry in CHARADE, but I'm sort of glad that Gregory Peck got the role in ROMAN HOLIDAY (one of my alltime fave flicks). And, while Bogart's chemistry with Hepburn (or lack thereof) in SABRINA doesn't particularly impress me, his chemistry (antagonistic, that is) with William Holden is great!

Ah, well....shorts till this 7 reeler, Our Hospitality. His Dad is in it, and shows that he had quite the flare for physical comedy as well, kicking a hat off a man's head.

Did you see the boxing one where Buster and his Dad duke it out? Some issues being worked out there, I'll wager.

BTW, did anyone catch Sherlock Jr.? One of my all time favorites.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

billy wilder tribute tonight

it's would be his 100th birthday today

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=136023

8:00 PM BIlly Wilder Speaks (2006)

C-0 mins, , CC

9:30 PM Double Indemnity (1944)

An insurance salesman gets seduced into plotting a client's death. Cast: Barbara Stanwyck, Fred MacMurray, Edward G. Robinson. Dir: Billy Wilder. BW-107 mins, TV-PG, CC

11:30 PM BIlly Wilder Speaks (2006)

C-0 mins, , CC

1:00 AM Lost Weekend, The (1945)

A writer fights to overcome his addiction to liquor. Cast: Ray Milland, Jane Wyman, Howard Da Silva. Dir: Billy Wilder. BW-101 mins, TV-PG, CC

3:00 AM Sabrina (1954)

Two wealthy brothers fall for the chauffeur's daughter. Cast: Humphrey Bogart, Audrey Hepburn, William Holden. Dir: Billy Wilder. BW-113 mins, TV-G, CC

5:00 AM Foreign Affair, A (1948)

A prim Congresswoman gets caught up in the romantic decadence of post-war Germany. Cast: Marlene Dietrich, Jean Arthur, John Lund. Dir: Billy Wilder. BW-116 mins, TV-PG

23 Friday

7:00 AM Sunset Boulevard (1950)

A failed screenwriter falls into a mercenary romance with a faded silent-film star. Cast: Gloria Swanson, William Holden, Erich von Stroheim. Dir: Billy Wilder. BW-110 mins, TV-PG, CC

9:00 AM Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, The (1970)

The legendary sleuth becomes involved with a mysterious Frenchwoman while investigating the Loch Ness monster. Cast: Robert Stephens, Christopher Lee, Genevieve Page. Dir: Billy Wilder. C-125 mins, TV-14, Letterbox Format

Edited by Soulstation1