The Jazz Messengers featuring Art Blakey

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

As I don't believe this one's readilly available -- if at all -- click on the album cover to be taken to a site which features the complete album.

front.jpg

If I'm mistaken and if I've done wrong, feel free to either let me know or the board owner can delete my post.

Ok, so there are some mislabelled used copies available from Amazon sellers.

My point was there is currently no way to purchase this disc on cd in a manner that would benefit EMI or Art Blakey's estate in any way. Other than a few people selling off their used copies this cd is not available for sale now.

By"safe" I mean I don't see any problem with Chaney posting that link. I'm not commenting on the actions of the person who posted the tracks on their website. I assume that is someone other than Chaney.

Edited by John B

Regarding the disc itself, the music is pretty good, with MacLean and Hardman, but for me the highlight is that there's a brief discussion by Blakey on the disc, talking about his thoughts on the title tune, which is one of those pretty much all-percussion workouts.

I found a cut-out of this disc at a used CD store years and years ago ... ;)

Here's something to think about:

The *inaction* of a label could very well be a sales strategy as well. Make something unavailable and people will hunger for it and when you finally DO reissue it the sales are increased. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

So, although it *seems* like something being out of print isn't in the best interest of the label, maybe it really is. And I guess it's the right of the label to determine what their approach should be.

And yes, I would love to have everything available all the time. But I'm not fronting the money to record, press, package, and warehouse this stuff.

Mike

Here's something to think about:

The *inaction* of a label could very well be a sales strategy as well. Make something unavailable and people will hunger for it and when you finally DO reissue it the sales are increased. Absence makes the heart grow fonder and all that.

So, although it *seems* like something being out of print isn't in the best interest of the label, maybe it really is. And I guess it's the right of the label to determine what their approach should be.

And yes, I would love to have everything available all the time. But I'm not fronting the money to record, press, package, and warehouse this stuff.

Mike

That's how BN does it, especially with their Conn series.

Makes lots of sense to me, and if it sells more records in the long run - more power to them.

I've sat on my hands about many of the titles in the Fantasy/OJC catalog for years, simply because I thought "oh, I can always get those some other time", while my focus was probably more on stuff that would definitely go out of print within a relatively short period of time (say, within 5 years).

This doesn't drive my purchasing decisions entirely -- but when I'm on the fence about multiple similar purchase options, you can bet that it's at least a factor.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

The album cover at the top of this thread changed. This is about the Jazz Messengers' "Ritual" album, right?

Anyway......I was right about Amoeba. I went there today and they DO have a bunch of these - sealed - for only $5.99. Needless to say, I picked one up.

The album cover at the top of this thread changed. This is about the Jazz Messengers' "Ritual" album, right?

Anyway......I was right about Amoeba. I went there today and they DO have a bunch of these - sealed - for only $5.99. Needless to say, I picked one up.

I think that's about what I paid for mine, though I can't remember where I found it. But now I want the one that's pictured now! :excited: