Carmel Jones: Jazz Impressions of Folk Music

I was just listening to 'Jazz Impressions of Folk Music' on the Carmel Jones Mosaic Select. The cover and liner notes for this album are not reproduced in the Select booklet. From my experience with Imperial r&b and blues LPs, the covers tended to be pretty dire, so perhaps that's why there is no cover reproduction. Were there any liner notes on the original LP issue?

Liner notes:

Uncredited as brownie said. Does the Mosaic Select say who produced the session?

Thanks for posting both cover and notes. I can see why Mosaic skipped reprinting the liner notes, but the cover was worth reprinting.

No mention of a producer in the Select booklet. Bones Howe is credited as the engineer, but that's it.

Yes, the vinyl jacket is bereft of any credits, just the historical blurb posted above.

No producer, arranger, engineer, studio, recording date -- just lotsa white space. Maybe Imperial forgot to get it to the printer or it got lost in the rushes.

BTW, this LP was one of 10 minty old Imperial, Atlantic, and Prestige LPs I scored last May in Pensacola, FL at a junk-tique: Luther Perry's Variety Store (4155 Barrancas Ave.) -- and when he totaled 'em up and said,"How does 35 dollars sound," it was like stepping back in time 40 years or so. The album is surprisingly tasty and happening, despite the dubious title 'Jazz Impressions of Folk Music'. A keeper, for sure.

A decent photo (that you can enlarge) of the back cover of the LP and lot's of others can be found at this Carmell Jones site. Check page 2.

On page 1 there are pics of both the Pacific & Fontana 'Business Meetin' covers. Can someone please explain to me what the relationship was between PJ & Fontana? Did Fontana re-issue all -- or most -- of the Pacific catalogue? Also, has anyone tracked down a decent link to a site that has pictures of all the 60's Pacific covers? I've not managed to find one.

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

On page 1 there are pics of both the Pacific & Fontana 'Business Meetin' covers. Can someone please explain to me what the relationship was between PJ & Fontana? Did Fontana re-issue all -- or most -- of the Pacific catalogue?

Fontana had a distribution deal through Europe with Pacific Jazz in the early '60s. A lot of PJ albums from that specific period were released over here. With same front and back covers. Lasted a couple of years only from what I remember!

I have that Fontana 'Business Meeting' vinyl.

Am I the only one disappointed by this album? I like Harold Land and I like folk tunes too, including many jazz renditions, but I found this one to be, oh how shall I say, "condescending" isn't quite right but it's the best I can do... No offence to those who do dig it, different strokies for different folkies.