Critical Discography of Woody Shaw - complete??

Rooster_Ties

Paging Michael Fitzgerald...

I was just curious about how current and/or complete the A Critical Discography of Woody Shaw was??

And I'm only asking from the perspective of commercially released recordings (since I know a number of private tapes are floating about).

Is there anything notable with Woody, that's missing from the "Critical Discography"?? Again, I'm only talking about commercially released recordings.

Thanks a bunch!!!

And a big word of thanks to you, Michael, for hosting and maintaining this. It is a WONDERFUL resource, one I reference quite frequently. Very valuable. Thanks again!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Todd Poynor is compiler of this and he updates it infrequently. I will have to check with him if he's done any revisions. I'm pretty sure I sent him some date fixes since the version went up.

Since my own research includes non-commercial stuff, I know there are things that I list elsewhere that include Woody which are not in Todd's listings.

But as for commercial issues, I think it's pretty good.

Mike

Great to hear. I kinda thought it was pretty complete, but I suppose it was possible that there were a small handful of things missing, that I just wasn't aware of.

BTW, you might mention to Todd about the additional Andrew Hill session with Woody, from the new Hill Select. It's the only thing I can think of that's been recently released with Woody, that isn't listed.

(Or can anybody think of anything else??)

Thanks Miike!!

Edited by Rooster_Ties

It would be better to look through this with my records in front of me but I found one omission, a Harry Whitaker record from the mid 70s. I believe it only came out in Japan but it's trippy stuff and Woody sounds great on it.

460947.jpg

If you're talking about Black Renaissance, I found it in a local record store, and I don't think it was an import. I could be wrong though.

It is a good'un. :g

Yeah, totally forgot about that one (Black Renaissance). I think the confusion about it is that the linernotes (at least in the CD issue), say that it only came out in Japan originally, but only as a bootleg ( :wacko: ) -- so does that mean the first legit release was the CD?? :unsure:

In any case, it's not in the "Critical Discography", so there's one to add.

Really one of the more amazing, and probably THE most unique thing Woody ever played on. Well worth seeking out.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

It is GAVEAU as in Salle Gaveau, the Paris concert hall.

Never heard that one.

Years ago, decided to ignore Jef Gilson after getting involved in an argument with him over the Albert Ayler concert in Paris back in 1966. He dissed it, very strongly. I loved that concert.

Long time ago, should end the boycott by now. If I run into this disc. Very rare by now!

Heard recently that Gilson was in bad health. Hope he gets better. Music is the healing force of the Universe!

OK, other than "Black Renaissance", and the Halloween '67 date from the new Andrew Hill Select --- is there anything else (commercial releases only) that's missing from this already wonderful resource??

I'd love to help make the "critical discography" really complete, since it's so close already.

Then Mike can pass on any additions we have, to Todd Poynor, and have them included in the on-line version.

Thanks!!! :)

Another Woody Shaw discographical question... The liner-notes to the new Conn of Bobby Hutcherson's "NOW!" mention that Woody recorded the Joe Chambers tune 'Hello To The Wind' TWO times. :unsure:

There, Michael Cuscuna says: "Woody Shaw made it ('Hello To The Wind') a staple in his repertoire in the 70's, recording it twice." I'm assuming Michael is only refering to commercially released recordings. But I can only find one version listed in the "Critical Discography"...

Live at the Berlin Jazz Festival; November 6, 1976

WS - tp, perc; Rene McLean - as, fl, perc; Frank Foster - ts, ss, perc; Slide Hampton - tb, perc; Ronnie Mathews - p; Stafford James - b; Louis Hayes - dr.

1.  Hello To The Wind (Chambers/McDaniels) 17:27

2.  Obsequious (Young) 9:10

3.  Jean Marie (Mathews) 9:20

4.  In the Land of the Blacks (Bilad As Sudan) (McLean) 12:24

Woody Shaw Concert Ensemble -- Live at the Berliner Jazztage

Woody Shaw -- Two More Pieces of the Puzzle

various -- 32 Live: track 3

A very good live set. The "trading fours" between Slide and WS, and between McLean and Foster, on "Obsequious" is a highlight. WS sometimes pays tributes to his fellow soloists when playing live; here, at the beginning of "Jean Marie", he plays a trademarked Slide Hampton (or is it J.J.?) lick.

What's the other version with Woody that Michael refers to in the "NOW!" liners???

Edit: By the way, Woody's version (live in Berlin in 1976), is one of my all-time favorite tracks with Woody Shaw, on any record of his, or with him as a side-man. I've listened to it several times in a row, on more than one occasion. Simply stunning. :wub:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Thanks for looking that up, Mike. Much appreciated.

Wonder what Michael was referring to (or what he thought he was referring to). Any guesses, anyone?? Would this be something worth asking him (Cuscuna) about directly (meaning, does he mind being bothered about stuff like this, at this level of detail??)

Kevin, if you happen to be read this, and would happen to think of asking Michael the next time you talk with him -- I'd be curious what the supposed 2nd version of "Hello To The Wind" with Woody was. Thanks in advance!! :)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I had the same question about a second version of "Hello.." - checked the Tom Lord discography, and there was no listing. Could there be a performance on one of those (fairly) recent "Live" volumes on High Note? (I really don't think so, but don't have all 3.) The Berlin version is also one of my favorites.

Joe Locke also recently recorded it with Mark Ledford.

Beuatiful piece, I agree. Haven't heard the Locke.

The Joe Locke is on his "State Of Soul" cd, with the late Mark Ledford on vocals.

Great recording, if I may say so.

1 It's Too Late

2 Come Down Time

3 Land of the Living

4 Dimming of the Day

5 Hello to the Wind

6 Sometimes It Rains

7 New Pompei

8 For All We Know

9 Stranger to Himself

Mike Pope Arranger, Bass

Joe Locke Arranger, Marimba, Producer, Vibraphone, Main Performer, Piano

Tim Garland Clarinet (Bass), Sax (Tenor)

Henry Hey Arranger, Organ (Hammond), Producer, Recording, Piano

Paul Bollenback Guitar (Electric), Guitar (Acoustic)

Billy Kilson Drums

Mark Ledford Vocals