Miles Davis Reissues (from Seven Steps box)

jpmosu

I thought I'd make a space to discuss the following (out today):

Seven Steps to Heaven

"Four" and More

Miles in Europe

Miles in Tokyo

Miles in Berlin

My initial thoughts:

1) "Seven Steps" may end up being one of my favorite "late night" discs. I've held off on buying this one until today, and I can't believe how beautiful it is.

2) Harvey Pekar's new liners for "In Europe" aren't terrible, but I can understand why Miles really preferred to let the music speak for itself (Pekar doesn't say anything remotely interesting, unless you're a complete Miles novice perhaps).

john

p.s. I didn't pick up "Tokyo" or "Berlin," so I'm especially curious if anyone has thoughts on those.

I thought I'd make a space to discuss the following (out today):

Seven Steps to Heaven

"Four" and More

Miles in Europe

Miles in Tokyo

Miles in Berlin

My initial thoughts:

1) "Seven Steps" may end up being one of my favorite "late night" discs. I've held off on buying this one until today, and I can't believe how beautiful it is.

2) Harvey Pekar's new liners for "In Europe" aren't terrible, but I can understand why Miles really preferred to let the music speak for itself (Pekar doesn't say anything remotely interesting, unless you're a complete Miles novice perhaps).

john

p.s. I didn't pick up "Tokyo" or "Berlin," so I'm especially curious if anyone has thoughts on those.

I've always loved the "Miles in Tokyo" set. It is quite unusual in that it's the only commercial release that has Sam Rivers on tenor. He was there following George Coleman and just before Wayne Shorter became a permanent member of the group. Tony Williams had recommended Sam however it appears that Miles was not satisfied with that choice. A pity, because I think Sam sounds great! He really stretches out, particularly on "So What" and "All of You" and while he may have sounded somewhat "out" then, it doesn't seem that way anymore. Do check it out for yourself.

As for "Miles in Berlin" recorded scarcely two months after the Tokyo gig in which Wayne has replaced Sam, it's also quite good. Love the opening "Milestones" track.

I think both are essential Miles recordings particularly if you dig his acoustic period (as I do) far more than the post-"In a Silent Way" electric happenings that occurred after '69.

Nothing was really bonus that I can remember about on that two cd "My Funny Valentine" . . . maybe an announcement?

Apparently the box set extra material for these two lps is NOT included on the single disc reissues. It doesn't really surprise me. . . they have to have something exclusive to the box set, or they generally do.

I really like the box set, and haven't gotten any of the single releases or plan to get them in the future. (Possibly because I have Japanese minilp cds of them? :o )

Berlin and Tokyo are on the way from CD Universe, along with the Speak Like A Child RVG and a copy of Moncur's Exploration which is a gift for a friend who was lucky enough to go to the Claremont concert last month (it's just that good a record, and now I've contributed twice to Grachan's royalty fund, so I feel good. Of course, he only gets $.03 cents a song).

From what I could tell at their site, Tokyo has no extra cuts on the box or the single CD, and the bonus track from Berlin is on the single CD. Oooh, extra bonus: liner notes from Michelle Mercer, who I guess will now be the de facto 'Wayne Shorter expert' on any forthcoming reissue.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

The references to the stage announcements from "In Europe" made me laugh. But the one that puzzles me is the Tony Williams introduction. There's a rather matter-of-fact announcement that "He is seventeen," if I'm not mistaken. But, to me, I'd express a bit more amazment:

HE'S ONLY 17!!!--CAN YOU FREAKIN' BELIEVE HOW GREAT THIS KID IS????

A good illustration of what a prodigy is...

I can understand wanting the individual cds. However, if someone was on a budget or a completeist - ordering the box from yourmusic.com would be the way to go. Depending whether you signed up for the $5.99 deal or the $4.99(like myself B-) )you can get the box delivered to your door for either $35.94 or $29.94.

I just received the box from yourmusic (42 bucks because it is 7 cds) and its great.

Most of the chronological boxes are annoying, because its usually better to have an actual album. But because the majority of the box (5 1/2 discs) is live this doesnt really matter.

Great stuff. I love the Tokyo stuff. I'm also partial to Sam Rivers though.

I can understand wanting the individual cds. However, if someone was on a budget or a completeist - ordering the box from yourmusic.com would be the way to go. Depending whether you signed up for the $5.99 deal or the $4.99(like myself B-) )you can get the box delivered to your door for either $35.94 or $29.94.

Solution: you buy the individual box for the sake of completeness. You then make CD-R copies (for your own personal use, of course) of the individual sessions if that's how you prefer to listen to them. This is an especially good method for listening to the music in your car, the gym, wherever else outside the home because if you should lose one or more discs, they're easily replaceable from the source box which sits securely on a shelf at home. I've done this with quite a few box sets, especially for the Mosaics, each disc of which usually contains parts of multiple sessions.