The Ultimate IQ Test

Guest Chaney

Guest Mnytime

Well I am smart enough to know IQ tests are a crock, especially those on Emode.com, the shittiest website of all time.

I agree. It's just a front for a dating service. :rolleyes:

I took this a few weeks ago after seeing an ad on MSN and being bored. I scored a 133 which is pretty good?

And then they tried to sell me a 15 page report on my strengths and weaknessess and labeled me a "Visionary Philosopher" and shit. They must not think I'm too smart if they're trying to sell me some load of crap for $15.99

IQ tests are funny. The only thing they are really good for is opening the doors into extended/gifted programs for your kids-- teach them how to test well and suddenly they will be "gifted" and finally challenged even though their work showed that they needed more all along...

At least that's how it has worked for my kids. On the other hand, if I go by the IQ test then both my kids are smarter than I was at their age, which I am very careful not to tell them :D

The thing that I noticed about the IQ test is pretty much what chris said. If you're good at taking standardized tests, you'll get a high score. I've always been good at those sort of things. After one or two questions I can usually figure out the tricks that the test is trying to use. Then I just go on autopilot for the most part.

If you're not good at standardized tests, than you probably won't do good. I know many people who are not good at such tests but are very smart. My wife is one of them! :) I can see why people are calling for reform of college entrance exams like the ACT and SAT. I didn't take the SAT, but I got a 32 on the ACT without even studying for it. I'm just good at taking tests.

Guest Mnytime

Just admit it, Mnytime... you're one of them there college boys!

We don't like no smert peoples 'round here....

Where's my "Cletus the Slackjawed Yokel" smiley?!?

:P:P:P:P:P

I wrote an IQ test, almost exactly like this one, about a week ago, [i had dropped off my resume and it was part of the interview]. Now I'm worried that I'll be eligible for a government grant for the intellectually handicapped. ;)

Edited by patricia

I wrote an IQ test, almost exactly like this one, about a week ago, [i had dropped off my resume and it was part of the interview] and now I'm worried that I'll be eligible for a  government grant for the intellectually handicapped. ;)

Isn't "intellectually challenged" the correct expression? :P;)

I wrote an IQ test, almost exactly like this one, about a week ago, [i had dropped off my resume and it was part of the interview] and now I'm worried that I'll be eligible for a  government grant for the intellectually handicapped. ;)

Isn't "intellectually challenged" the correct expression? :P;)

I'm not as kind as you are. I was going to say "retarded", but stopped short. :)

Edited by patricia

Apparantly 68% of all Inventive Inquisitors, such as myself, are meat-eaters and would order steak in a restaurant.

I'm a life-long vegetarian, so I guess I'm already in a subgroup. I think that the meat-eating Inventive Inquisitors are skewing the catagory. Just as I suspected, it's a conspiracy. :o

Hey, I really am a "visual mathematician". I guess I can leave all that self-doubt behind.

I actually remember taking one leg of the real IQ test when I was very young. Aside from the vocabularly questions (which I don't think are included in authentic IQ tests), these questions are fairly similar to what I remember. I recall I had a couple of questions that went like this: "Imagine light is shone on the object depicted below from the upper right-hand corner of the page. Which of the following is the resultant shadow?" At the time they didn't tell us we were taking an IQ test, and we were probably too young to have understood the import of that even if they had they told us, so it was actually kind of fun.

BTW, I was recently reading about the history of the IQ test. Evidently they were originally designed at the turn of the century to help elementary school teachers differentiate between underachievers and students with legitimate learning disabilities (although back then "learning disabilities" were not thought of in the same way as they are now, obviously). The inventor of the test was reportedly quite embarrassed as he saw the test scores fuel "intellectual elitism" among certain people. He repeatedly said that was never the intention of the test and that the meaning of the scores was being taken out of context.

Edited by J Larsen

I don't agree that the bias in most standardized tests is significant enough to matter. The real problem is the whole concept of standardized tests and what is really being tested. And of course the fairly recent University of CA study which showed that SATs are one of the least efficient predictors of college success.

A real 1600 on the SAT is pretty cool, especially if it was before the mid-90s when they changed the scoring system. Less than 1000 out of close to 1.5 million get a 1600 each year. I "only" got a 1540, though that would be a 1600 in today's terms :)