Eddie Johnson - Indian Summer on Nessa Records

Jazz Vinyl

Guest DizzySpells

There's a sealed one available on amazon.com.

I believe that is the only Nessa product I have (I have NO idea where I picked that one up), and it's one damn fine LP!

• 2 years later...

He asked for a story and I have neither the time or energy, but I do have a couple to tell. Remind me later if you really care.

Up. I was perusing old threads for things I'd missed or forgotten - there's a wealth of information and opinions to get one listening and thinking to be found there, if you take the time to look.

Anyway, I found this Eddie Johnson thread and I'd like to hear those stories, if Chuck has the time and inclination.

"Eddie Johnson told Chuck Nessa that he subbed for Ben Webster in the Duke Ellington Orchestra on more than one occasion--once he was called to Detroit to do so. Presumably this was during Ben Webster's second stay with the Duke, in 1948-1949."

Enjoying the Eddie Johnson web site.

"Splanky" is thee cut from "Indian Summer."

Would love to find out more about this Love archive:

"According to Art Zimmerman, a Chicago physician, Dr. Jerome Love, recorded many nightclub performances and concerts by jazz musicians in Chicago between 1952 and 1959. Love made binaural recordings, using a dummy head with microphones mounted on each side. Each reel of tape contained up to 30 minutes of music. The Love archives contain 6 reels from this performance (up to 3 hours of music). Personnel and date as per the Love archives; the leader's name is misspelled "Tate" and the drummer's name comes out "Walden." And the location is not given. From what is known about other recordings in the Love archives, some of the titles will be incomplete."

Edited by Lazaro Vega

• 6 years later...