any recomendations for big bands

Jazztropic

Ellington--NEVER NO LAMENT (3-CD set of the Blanton-Webster years/band).

Herman--The Columbia Mosaic. There's a 2-CD distillation called BLOWIN' UP A STORM, if you don't mind the production hand of Orrin Keepnews; I'd definitely go with the Mosaic if you can afford it.

West Coast--hmmmm.... the Gerald Wilson Mosaic? A Shorty Rogers CD or two? The Mulligan Concert Jazz Band Mosaic, which can probably be considered at least distantly West Coast.

Maria Schneider - Allegresse! & Concert in the Garden

John Fedchock Big Band - No Nonsense

Bob Mintzer Big Band - Incredible Journey and everything since

WDR

Danish Radio Big Band with various guest composers/conductors

ICP

Vanguard Jazz Orchestra

thanks to EKE BBB for introducing me to Ken Schaphorst Big Band on NaxosJazz

all have lots of solo space!

This thread has reminded me of my lack of experience and knowledge of big bands. I hardly got any big band albums. If I play Buddy Rich a lot I get sick and tired of the loud trumpets and everything, but every once in a while I need some big band. :D I haven't really heard any big bands that much to my liking.

If you can find it - Bob Curnow and his L.A. Big Band Plays the Music of Pat Metheny and Lyle Mays (Mama) Superb!

Almost anything by Bob Florence, though if you're new to his music you might start with his earlier CD's, say mid 90's and earlier. His last 2 or 3 like "Whatever Bubbles Up" (Summit) and "Serendipity 18" (Mama) are quite challenging listening, even for long-time big band listeners. Don't get me wrong, I think they're great, but not everyone appreciates the edginess Bob seems to have put into his recent music.

Phil Kelly and the NorthWest Prevailing Winds - "Convergence Zone" (Origin) Highly recommended. :tup

I have one recommendation which a lot of younger folks won't be aware of. But then again, the people here frequently surprise me. Try Claude Thornehill. Arrengements by Gil Evans. Very early big band featuring bop influence. Records are available from Amazon,Worlds and lots of others. Cheers.

I have one recommendation which a lot of younger folks won't be aware of. But then again, the people here frequently surprise me. Try Claude Thornehill. Arrengements by Gil Evans. Very early big band featuring bop influence. Records are available from Amazon,Worlds and lots of others. Cheers.

Yes- great stuff. Evans' arrangements of Yardbird Suite, Anthropology and Donna Lee (among others like Buster's Last Stand) are exceptional. It seems obvious that the instrumentation/sound of the Thornhill band was an influence on the instrumentation of the Birth Of The Cool band (specifically the use of french horn and tuba).

You like Florence's 1970's stuff? Like Westlake and Concert By The Sea?

Absolutely. I believe those recordings are the place to start if you're new to Florence's music. Then work backward to a great Bob Florence CD called Name Band 1959 (Fresh Sound) if you can find it, and/or forward to Bob's '90's and beyond recordings. You will hear a fascinating evolution in all this. Florence is a very engaging writer, no doubt about it.

Also, I noticed the original poster asked about big bands with lots of solo space. Try Danny D'Imperio's recent "Big Band Bloviation" CDs Vol. 1 & 2. If anything, I think they have too much solo space for a big band, but they're pretty good. Very strong personnel.

Edited by John Tapscott

This thread has reminded me of my lack of experience and knowledge of big bands. I hardly got any big band albums. If I play Buddy Rich a lot I get sick and tired of the loud trumpets and everything, but every once in a while I need some big band. :D I haven't really heard any big bands that much to my liking.

Big bands do not have to be always loud. In fact the best of them are capable of producing a wide range of dynamic nuances.

Any thoughts for big band cds Ellington , W Herman, west coast etc. with lots of solo space.

There were few very interesting and informative threads on this topic, take a look.

favorite modern large jazz ensembles, 10 pieces+ (not including ghost bands)

favorite modern jazz RECORDINGS w/ 10+ players, recommend specific releases. Thanks!!!

Carla Bley who is responsible for many wonderful big band recordings has her own thread - Carla Bley, general discussion

Enjoy!

Some other good overlooked big band CDs:

Carl Saunders: Big Bebop Band

Jim Knapp Orch : Secular Breathing *

John Fedchock: several albums or out

Bill Holman: View from the other side

Kim Richmond: Refractions *

oh yeah, I almost forgot ..

Phil Kelly: Convergence Zone *

* these three available from Origin Records website and/or bigbandjazz.net :w:w:w

I have one recommendation which a lot of younger folks won't be aware of. But then again, the people here frequently  surprise me. Try Claude Thornehill. Arrengements by Gil Evans. Very early big band featuring bop influence. Records are available from Amazon,Worlds and lots of others. Cheers.

Yes- great stuff. Evans' arrangements of Yardbird Suite, Anthropology and Donna Lee (among others like Buster's Last Stand) are exceptional. It seems obvious that the instrumentation/sound of the Thornhill band was an influence on the instrumentation of the Birth Of The Cool band (specifically the use of french horn and tuba).

Great comps of late-1940s Thornhill on Hep (two CDs of radio transcriptions, one of studio recordings, with another forthcoming--I think).