PINK FLOYD FANS?

Jazz Kat

I'll have to listen to that one again tomorrrow, but I recall it still sounding like jamming on a theme rather than truly spontaneous music.

There are some rock groups, like Can, that at times come across as being spontaneous, but even then I don't know how you'd draw a line directly to AMM rather than "any old" spontaneous recording. Amongst makers of spontaneous music, AMM definately had their own unique sound, but I really don't connect it with rock at all. It reminds me a lot of the sound of Xenakis' tape experiments, but more chaotic, with more droning, and with a richer variety of sounds. To tell you the truth, I find it pretty rough to listen to for more than, oh, 30 seconds at a time. It has a very disorganizing effect on me.

One aritst that has, at times, reminded me of AMM is Nurse With Wound, but only a few specific records (the ones that sound most influenced by musique concrete).

Edited by J Larsen

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the two AMM records I own, I can't see a direct connection at all. AMM made unstructured, purely improvised music (some would call it "sound art"). Even in the early Floyd stuff, which has more of a jam feel (to my ears, anyway), is very structured.

What about the wilder parts of "A Saucerful of Secrets"?

Guy

Listened to it again this morning. The song "Saucerful of Secrets" is pretty wild, but still feels very composed; it reminds me a little of Varese (I'm sure someone on the board more knowledgable about avant-composition can come up with a better touchstone).

Dark Side of the Moon

Wish You Were Here

Loved those.

Saw the Live in Pompeji several times (TV, 70s?) and liked it.

I HATED The Wall.

Still do.

Animals?

Neutral. Never caught on with me.

Lately I found myself shying away from getting some Floyd, again and again. No idea why. I watched the Live8 performance and decided to get some CDs but they got thrown out of the Amazon basket in favour of some other stuff ... again.

Weird.

Edited by neveronfriday

Lately I found myself shying away from getting some Floyd, again and again. No idea why. I watched the Live8 performance and decided to get some CDs but they got thrown out of the Amazon basket in favour of some other stuff ... again.

The Live8 performance has given me a Floyd itch as well. I already own all the albums ('cept the recent live Wall -- no interest; need to pick up the Zabriskie Point soundtrack) but I ripped Dark Side and Meddle onto the iPod and am now downloading the 1970-71 BBC sessions.

Anybody have a recommendation for good Floyd downloads from DaD? I'm not interested in every Floyd bootleg ever recorded, just in the best stuff. Bonus points for especially good versions of "Echoes" or interesting jamming.

By the way, upthread GregK complained about the lack of a decent-sounding "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" -- there's a studio version on Relics. Much calmer than on Ummagumma.

Guy

To take this discussion off on a tangent, in Space Is the Place John Szwed says that Pink Floyd were influenced by AMM.  I've never heard AMM (though I have heard of them), so does anybody care to expand on this link, and perhaps Floyd's link to other performers of "legit" free improvisation?  I'd be interested in reading more about this.

Guy

I'd imagine Floyd and AMM were on the bill together at some of those legendary London all-nighters. For a short time in the late-60s and early 70s there was a coming together of experimental jazzers/avant gardists and rock players.

In fact a quick Google reveals:

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/27...4hourdream.html

Pink Floyd apparently did a great deal of wild free improv in their early days (how else would relatively inexperienced musicians fill in sets at an all-nighter?). I seem to remember that their initial plan for the follow up to 'Atom Heart Mother' was an album recorded on kitchen implements!

I'm not sure if this is of interest to anyone but it's just come out over here on DVD:

committee.jpg

Starring: Paul Jones

with: Tom Kempinski and Robert Lloyd,

and: Pauline Munroe and Jimmy Gardner

Directed by: Peter Sykes

Produced and Written by: Max Steuer

Featured Interlude: The Crazy World of Arthur Brown

Musical Score composed and performed by: Pink Floyd

Director of Photography: Ian Wilson

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Speaking of Pink Floyd related DVDs, this past weekend I rented and watched Barbet Schroeder's "More" (1969) and finally got to see the movie that goes with the Floyd album. I enjoyed hearing the music again (I don't currently have the soundtrack album) but found the movie, which is mainly about a young couple strung out on heroin in Ibiza (an island off the coast of Spain), a bit disturbing. The movie did have its moments though and at its best the movie reminded me a little of "Zabriski Point" by Antonioni (which also had some Floyd music on the soundtrack).

On a related note, the Floyd also did the soundtrack for Schroeder's "La Vallée" ("Obscured by Clouds", 1972) but I haven't been able to track that down to rent on DVD so far.

Schroeder, by the way, was a German who started his directing career in France, although subsequently he worked in Hollywood. His most well known US films are probably "Barfly," "Reversal of Fortune" and "Single White Female."

Recently I saw the Criterion DVD of one of his later French films, "Maitresse"(1976), which is an interesting story about a petty crook and a dominatrix starring Isabelle Hupert and Gerard Depardieu.

Edited by HWright

In fact a quick Google reveals:

http://www.geocities.com/Vienna/Strasse/27...4hourdream.html

Pink Floyd apparently did a great deal of wild free improv in their early days (how else would relatively inexperienced musicians fill in sets at an all-nighter?). I seem to remember that their initial plan for the follow up to 'Atom Heart Mother' was an album recorded on kitchen implements!

Thanks for posting that article, Bev -- very interesting. (I totally forgot about the kitchen-implement album -- I wonder if the band would still be together if they'd decided to take that path...

Anyway, I found this (scroll down):

Name: Ron Baker

Question: How did Syd get that spacey guitar sound on \"See Emily Play\"?

A combination of a plastic ruler - used instead of his Zippo lighter - to play slide and Binson Echorec delay unit, I think... plus the influence of Keith Rowe of AMM!

But how big is your FAX collection?
Just a few things here and there.

More devoted to the Schulze recordings.

Are you able to keep up with the FAX releases?

---

Now playing: Vinko Globokar - Airs De Voyage Vers L'Intérieur

Guest akanalog

OK.....so how is it that you can say you don't like rock music?

Mike

because i don't like rock music.

i do like some stuff that would be considered krautrock, but more on the instrumental and jazzy end of things-like xhol and agitation free. i like keyboards. i am not a big fan of guitars, especially rock guitar. and i don't like vocals. i like some stuff like soft machine-but primarily because there is no guitar and it is keyboard heavy. i am in a rock band so i try to listen to some stuff to sort of see what's out there and also my girlfriend listens to rock, but all i really enjoy is pink floyd bootlegs from the time period i mentioned and recent boredoms, which i find healing energy music and is also guitar-free for the most part. like i said, around "atom hear mother", i get something from pink floyd's music which i haven't found anywhere else in any genre. and i would guess "atom hear mother" is a little more than rock music in most peoples minds since most people i talk to who claim to be pink floyd fans aren't even familiar with the album.

Sounds exactly like you don't like *some* rock music. I believe there can be rock music without guitars and vocals. And besides, PF (even pre-DSOTM) does have guitars and vocals and you DO like them.

Just because some people clueless about PF history don't know AHM shouldn't convince you of anything.

I won't even get into the "then why are you in a rock band" question. Obviously it's just for the money!

Mike

Guest akanalog

all i really enjoy is pink floyd bootlegs from the time period i mentioned

Any particular favorites? I'm trying to decide which to download.

Guy

there is one called "atom heart mother goes on the road" which i was listening to this past week which is very nice. good sound quality-which seems to not often be the case with pink floyd boots. if you find that one, download it and check it out.

all i really enjoy is pink floyd bootlegs from the time period i mentioned

Any particular favorites? I'm trying to decide which to download.

Guy

there is one called "atom heart mother goes on the road" which i was listening to this past week which is very nice. good sound quality-which seems to not often be the case with pink floyd boots. if you find that one, download it and check it out.

Thanks dude -- I think disc 1 of the following is what you are talking about?

BBC Archives 1970-1971

Label: Harvested HRV CDR 007

CD1:

1. John Peel intro (0:28)

2. The Embryo (10:42)

3. Fat Old Sun (5:51)

4. Green Is The Colour (3:23)

5. Careful With That Axe, Eugene (8:27)

6. If (5:48)

7. Atom Heart Mother (25:08)

CD2:

1. John Peel intro (0:42)

2. Fat Old Sun (15:35)

3. One Of These Days (7:18)

4. The Embryo (10:44)

5. Echoes (26:24)

6. Blues (4:57)

Total length: 125 min 28 sec

Source: AUD[LOW]>SHN

Quality: Superb

CD1: All tracks: BBC Paris Cinema, Lower Regent Street, London, England. July 16th, 1970.

CD2: All tracks: BBC Paris Cinema, Lower Regent Street, London, England. September 30th, 1971

LOOKS TASTY!

Guy

Guest akanalog

Sounds exactly like you don't like *some* rock music. I believe there can be rock music without guitars and vocals. And besides, PF (even pre-DSOTM) does have guitars and vocals and you DO like them.

Just because some people clueless about PF history don't know AHM shouldn't convince you of anything.

I won't even get into the "then why are you in a rock band" question. Obviously it's just for the money!

Mike

jeez. i can't believe i am debating this wit you but...no i really don't like rock music. if someone puts on some pavement i could enjoy it or a nice 1973 eyes of the world or a 1968 dark star. but i would not say i like rock music since in my free personal listening time i do not listen to any rock music-the main reason i listen to the pink floyd stuff and the boredoms is because my girlfriend who lives with me won't listen to any jazz so i need to compromise when she is around. i do like spacey krautrock-ish stuff and i think live pink floyd around "atom heart mother" is not too guitar focused as rick wright gets to do a lot of interesting organ stuff and a lot of the music is textural. i guess a song like "astronomy domine " is guitar driven but i would prefer to think of it as textural. and the boredoms these days is three drummers and the main dude yelling. you can come check out my music collection if you want to verify any of this. i guess part of my interest in krautrock and progressive rock (which always lets me down) is trying to find positive and interesting avenues for rock music-though i guess less exist than i would hope for. i guess some of these new dance-ey percussion heavy bands popping up are ok, but i just am not so interested in following any of it.

and as far as playing in a rock band, i am a 27 year old jewish guy with a little keyboard. none of my friends give a damn about jazz or spacey krautrock. i think the music i play sucks. i guess i am doing it for the girls and for the money though it isn't like we have had any success. it is also a good reason to get out of the apartment and get drunk a few times a week when i go to practice. it is a social thing.

Guest akanalog

mike-i also like zappa from 1972-1974 but for the jazz instrumental aspects of the band.

in my mind, george duke is one of the greats on electric keyboards and synths. but i wouldn't buy an album like "overnite sensation " or "apostrophe" since they are more vocal and song oriented.

guy-that might be it. i only have one disc and the times roughly match up for your disc 1.

looking at what else is lying here-i do have 9/26/70 but the sound quality isn't super.

i have one labeled "montreux 71", which is pretty cool two disc set but a tad bass-y.

i brought these two on a recent trip with me but later i will search to see what else i have in my CD books.

"if" is another beautiful floyd song, in my mind.

1. John Peel intro (0:42)

2. Fat Old Sun (15:35)

3. One Of These Days (7:18)

4. The Embryo (10:44)

5. Echoes (26:24)

6. Blues (4:57)

Total length: 125 min 28 sec

Source: AUD[LOW]>SHN

Quality: Superb

CD2: All tracks: BBC Paris Cinema, Lower Regent Street, London, England. September 30th, 1971

I distinctly recall hearing that broadcast. I stood with an ancient tape recorder holding the mike to the radio speaker. No idea what happened to the tape.

Well, I hate music, period. Pink Floyd is pretty cool though. I play my keyboard with mallets. Since AMM wasn't really making music, I guess its ok that I do check their stuff out. akanalog, maybe you should check out erstwhile. That label has a handful of guitarists that I'm sure you wouldn't realize were even playing guitar. One of them was a founding member of AMM.

Glad to see people talking about Atom Heart Mother!

But how big is your FAX collection?
Just a few things here and there.

More devoted to the Schulze recordings.

Are you able to keep up with the FAX releases?

I gave up years ago, but I do own a nice shelf of FAX.

By the way, upthread GregK complained about the lack of a decent-sounding "Careful with that Axe, Eugene" -- there's a studio version on Relics.  Much calmer than on Ummagumma.

Guy

I'm aware of that one. That's why I want a better sounding live version, for the wildness! :crazy:

Guest akanalog

GUY!!!!

i found one labelled 9/18/71 which is awesome. just 3 songs-over an hour. excellent. sound quality is great also. i would search for this one also.

GUY!!!!

i found one labelled 9/18/71 which is awesome.  just 3 songs-over an hour.  excellent.  sound quality is great also.  i would search for this one also.

Awesome, thanks a lot. I assume we are talking about this one. Have you heard the second disc?

Pink Floyd

Live at the Montreux Jazz Fest

Montreux, Switzerland

September 18, 1971

Vol. 1 "Black Wizard"

DAE with Exact Audio Copy

WAV>shn with MKW Audio Compression Toolkit

"Black Wizard"

1. Echoes (22.41)

2. Careful With That Axe, Eugene (12.29)

3. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (13.53)

or

White Witch (Speed Corrected Series 002)

Festival de Musique Classique

Pavillion de Montreux, Montreux, Switzerland

September 18/19, 1971

Second set.

Original off by 3.5%

1. Cymbaline

2. Atom Heart Mother

3. A Saucerful of Secrets

:excited::excited::excited:

Has anybody heard of the boots with "The Man & the Journey"?

Guy