PINK FLOYD FANS?

Jazz Kat

Here's a good Syd Barrett story:

During the recording of this song, Syd Barrett, their old band mate who had been in seclusion for years due to drug induced psychosis, suddenly appeared in the studio. Syd's former band mates did not even recognize him as he had lost his hair and gained considerable weight. He was wondering about the studio muttering nonsense when Waters and Gilmour realized to their dismay that this strange character who suddenly appeared in their studio session was their old friend Syd Barret.

Ghost - we must be psychic! :lol::lol:

No kidding! ^_^ Great wasted minds and all that?

:lol::lol:

I don't know if you saw my original post. I had the same picture right underneath your post.

:g

Weird and wacky stuff!

Here's Syd from 2002:

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked Pink Floyd before classic-rock radio played the hell out of their songs.

"Run Like Hell" will always be a favorite, though, no matter how many times its played.

Animals is okay, but I always liked the insistency of side one ("Dogs" I think?).

Meddle is my all-time favorite. "One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces!!!"

I saw the Pompeii video in high school; need to see it again!

I liked Pink Floyd before classic-rock radio played the hell out of their songs.

"Run Like Hell" will always be a favorite, though, no matter how many times its played.

Animals is okay, but I always liked the insistency of side one ("Dogs" I think?).

Meddle is my all-time favorite. "One of these days I'm going to cut you into little pieces!!!"

Al the DVD is really good... now I have an idea how to repay for that Allman Brothers... :D

Here's a good Syd Barrett story:

During the recording of this song, Syd Barrett, their old band mate who had been in seclusion for years due to drug induced psychosis, suddenly appeared in the studio. Syd's former band mates did not even recognize him as he had lost his hair and gained considerable weight. He was wondering about the studio muttering nonsense when Waters and Gilmour realized to their dismay that this strange character who suddenly appeared in their studio session was their old friend Syd Barret.

Ghost - we must be psychic! :lol::lol:

No kidding! ^_^ Great wasted minds and all that?

:lol::lol:

I don't know if you saw my original post. I had the same picture right underneath your post.

:g

Weird and wacky stuff!

Here's Syd from 2002:

No, I missed that... I think we must've been hanging out on the same Internet page!

Some more about the WYWH sessions:

Release date: September 15th, 1975

Recorded at: EMI Studios, Abbey Road, London (January-July 1975).

At the time of its release, "Wish You Were Here" received markedly mixed reviews: after the success of "Dark Side", many thought it was a distinct anti-climax. However, it has aged very well. The lush strains of the album's centrepiece, "Shine On You Crazy Diamond", found a new audience in the late '80s among new agers and ambient house freaks; while the title track--perhaps the Floyd's most melodic song since the days of Syd Barrett--remains perennially popular. By 1975, Roger was missing Syd; the business was getting to him ("And by the way, which one's Pink?" from "Have a Cigar" was an actual quote by an American record executive). The album also shows Gilmour making his strongest individual contribution yet, with several fine extended guitar solos and some of the most heartfelt vocals the Floyd have ever committed to disc.

David Gilmour: "After Dark Side we were really floundering around. I wanted to make the next album more musical, because I felt some of these tracks had been just vehicles for the words. We were working in 1974 in this horrible little rehearsal room in Kings Cross without windows, putting together what became the next two albums. There were three long tracks, including Shine On You Crazy Diamond, which I wanted to record, and Roger said, No, let's take Shine On, divide it into two, and put in other material around the same theme. And he was right, I was wrong."

Nick Mason: "This was much a more difficult record to make. Roger was getting crosser. We were all getting older. We had children. There was much more drama between us, people turning up to the studio late, which we generally hate. There was more pressure on me to make the drumming more accurate and less flowery. But I think as an album it flows really well. It's like a descedant of Meddle in terms of the use of repeating themes, and the pacing."

Pink Floyd: The Illustrated Discography says: "During the WYWH sessions a fat, shaven-headed person wearing grey Terylene trousers, a nylon shirt and string vest wandered into the studio. The band ignored the visitor and kept on playing and it was the visiting Andrew King who finally recognised their guest: 'Good God, it's Syd! How did you get like that?'' To which Syd replied, 'I've got a very large fridge at home and I've been eating a lot of pork chops.' The whole event was slightly un-nerving since the theme of the album was based on Syd and his subsequent madness."

About that, Rick Wright said: "The whole album sprang from that one four-note guitar phrase of Dave's in Shine On. We heard it went, That's a really nice phrase. The wine came out, and that led to what I think is our best album, the most colourful, the most feelingful. Shine On was in the process of being recorded, the lyrics about Syd were written. I walked into the studio at Abbey Road, Roger was sitting, mixing at the desk, and I saw this big bald guy sitting on the couch behind. About 16 stone. And I didn't think anything of it. In those days it was quite normal for strangers to wander into our sessions. Then Roger said, You don't know who that guy is, do you? It's Syd. It was a huge shock, because I hadn't seen him for about six years. He kept standing up and brushing his teeth, putting his toothbrush away and sitting down. Then at one point he stood up and said, Right, when do I put the guitar on? And of course he didn't have a guitar with him. And we said, Sorry Syd, the guitar's all done."

Other than a half-dozen bootleg CD's, and the relatively recently released live "Wall" show, the only legit Floyd recordings I own, are the most recent domestic remasters of "Wish You Were Here", and "Animals". Found 'em used, and really cheap a few years ago, and couldn't resist. Something like $6 or $7 a pop, for what were then the almost brand new reissues (just looked, the versions released in 1994). Damn has it really been 10 years since those came out?? I think I found 'em cheap in '96 or so.

Dark Side is such a fantastic album, BUT, I rarely listened to it all that much -- since I knew it inside and out from listening to it so much in college. Besides, when I get the urge, once every other year or so - I usually dig out one of the live versions I have (which I may do today, come to think of it).

(sidetrack alert!!)

I'm the same way with The Beatles material. The only Beatles CD's I own (or have ever owned :ph34r: ) are all three of the double-CD "Anthology" sets. Beatles music is everywhere, seemingly --- or it was 10 years ago anyway (the last time I listened to comercial radio very much. Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles, and think they're wonderful. But they're such a part of our culture -- part of the fabric of things -- that I rarely have or had the urge to listen to them much, after a flurry of interest I had back during my high-school days (mid 80's).

Did the same thing with Hendrix, after having a TON of bootlegs (almost 100 hours, if memory serves), and then selling most of them off after 6 or 8 years. Recently, though, I've been going back and buying back a fair bit of the legit Hendrix CD's that have come out over the years, especially the recent boxset with all the rare previously unreleased material, much of which I used to have on scratchy bootleg LP's.

/sidetrack=off

And (bringing this discussion back to Floyd), I'm the same way with them. I got DEEPLY into Floyd for several years, and then moved on to other things. Maybe in another 5 or 10 years, I'll get the Floyd bug again. :P

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I think I'm the only person in the world who loves:

B000002U9W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

My favourite along with Meddle, Umma Gumma and Wish You Were Here. I enjoy the first two too, though they were a couple of years before I started listening to music so sounded a bit tinny in 1970/1 to my ears.

I enjoy DSoftheM but even at the time was disappointed by its more conventional song-based approach. I like the lengthy noodling and (especially) the breakfast cereal noises.

I think I'm the only person in the world who loves:

B000002U9W.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

My favourite along with Meddle, Umma Gumma and Wish You Were Here. I enjoy the first two too, though they were a couple of years before I started listening to music so sounded a bit tinny in 1970/1 to my ears.

I enjoy DSoftheM but even at the time was disappointed by its more conventional song-based approach. I like the lengthy noodling and (especially) the breakfast cereal noises.

You aren't the only one. I actually enjoy Atom Heart Mother more than Meddle (just slightly). I know they say the suite was a failure, but I love it. I've spent many hours listening to this album on vinyl and cd (I have the Mobile Fidelity version of it eeeevun).

Okay, I'm not in love with Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast, but Fat Old Sun is one of my all-time favorite Gilmour tracks and I enjoy the contrast on If between the pretty music and Water's nutter lyrics.

I think the cover is so fitting for this album. It is pastoral. :D

I like Meddle, but my favorite track is Echoes and I actually prefer the Pompeii version of it.

There was a time when I couldn't get enough of Gilmour's tone. Even got the solo records self titled and About Face...

However, all things must pass. Now an ocassional listen to Wish You Were Here and Dark Side is all I need. Actually the live set PULSE is pretty good. It has a live Dark Side as well some of their greatest songs like "Comfortably numb" (my personal favorite,) "Learning To Fly," "Wish You Were Here," "Shine On Crazy Diamond," "Another Bick In The Wall" If I could only keep one Floyd, it would be this one.

Some more about the WYWH sessions:

Nick Mason: "This was much a more difficult record to make. Roger was getting crosser. We were all getting older. We had children. There was much more drama between us, people turning up to the studio late, which we generally hate. There was more pressure on me to make the drumming more accurate and less flowery. But I think as an album it flows really well. It's like a descedant of Meddle in terms of the use of repeating themes, and the pacing."

Yeah!!! :tup

Al the DVD is really good... now I have an idea how to repay for that Allman Brothers... :D

OooooooooH!! :excited::D:excited::D:excited:

Bev, Atom Heart Mother is fantastic; don't feel alone!!

All in all, I prefer the 'pre-Meddle' Floyd to the later (mid period?) Floyd. In other words, I prefer the acid stuff to the pot stuff I guess. Although I definitely prefer Meddle and Dark Side to Animals and The Wall. And anything after that just isn't Pink Floyd as far as I'm concerned.

I knew there were some Atom Hearters out there somewhere!

I'm just struck by the number of times I see it written off, dismissed as pretencious...even Gilmour hates it.

It was my first Pink Floyd album...one of the first albums I had...and it still holds my attention from the first bit of Wagnerian brass murmuring to the water going down the plughole.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

I frickin' HATE The Wall. That's a record for kids who wished they smoked pot.

:D Well, or for a few who actually did... I remember several of us, freshman year in high school (when it came out) in a rather stoned state, trying to find the backward masking where it allegedly said, "Congratulations! You have discovered the meaning of THE WALL." What a way to kill an afternoon, eh?

I frickin' HATE The Wall. That's a record for kids who wished they smoked pot.

:D Well, or for a few who actually did... I remember several of us, freshman year in high school (when it came out) in a rather stoned state, trying to find the backward masking where it allegedly said, "Congratulations! You have discovered the meaning of THE WALL." What a way to kill an afternoon, eh?

Duuuuuuude, you play the beginning of "Empty Spaces" backwards!!! :D

OooooooooH!! :excited::D:excited::D:excited:

You got it! I've got a few things to mail next week... :g