About a year til A Scanner Darkly

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm probably one of the biggest PKD nuts on this planet (or so it seems) :D

I'm right there with ya Swinger! I have all the novels, SF and otherwise, stories, etc. only lacking. .. "Nick and the Glimmungs". . . and the volumes of letters. I'm saving those for when my ship comes in.

I'm probably one of the biggest PKD nuts on this planet (or so it seems) :D

I'm right there with ya Swinger! I have all the novels, SF and otherwise, stories, etc. only lacking. .. "Nick and the Glimmungs". . . and the volumes of letters. I'm saving those for when my ship comes in.

I've read all of his books (including his non-sf novels) but I don't own all of them.Someday I will have all of them.That's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this a couple of weeks ago. It could have been worse. I didn't envision the book this way but it was a thoughtful and competent adaptation. The bits that were added worked well. It was faithful to the text of the book. . . the tone I guess was appropriate. Downey, Jr. did a bangup job.

Somehow I wanted a different Scanner, but the emphasis on humor here made the material accessible to the screen. I wanted a different Archer though. Keanu just barely qualified.

I wanted a different Archer though. Keanu just barely qualified.

But he must have been quite good in the later section of the book after Arctor has flat-lined. I'll try to get around to renting this fairly soon.

Anyway, I just finished the book on the plane to Chicago. It was a bit darker than I expected and also a little more linear, in the sense that "reality" isn't in question, though one person's reality is fragmenting. I then followed up with Ubik, which like Flow My Tears, is far more ambiguous about reality. I liked Ubik better than Scanner, and actually Ubik might make a decent movie.

Guest akanalog

ubik would be an awesome movie! i think i read it was optioned, actually....maybe i am making that up.

my main complaint with scanner was the choice of actors-it was like-let's pick actors people associate with drugs or acting stoned or whatever and then have them act that way! so it was sort of annoying to have r downey jr and woody harrelson acting stoned in my opinion. sort of yeah yeah ok i get it. not that off the top of my head i can think of better casting calls.

i thought the parts that were added did help to make the movie a better "movie" and can't complain about that.

i also hate that style of animation. would have rather the movie was just straight people.

i also didn't picture the scrable suits like that at all-in my mind they were more swirling colors kind of like when you press your finger into LCD.

UBIK has been optioned several times I think. . . whether it remains optioned I don't know.

I'm wondering if there is anyone ambitious enough and able to get a budget big enough to do that film justice. In the end, it may be better to just enjoy it as it plays in my own noggin. . . .