Lester Young solos turned into tunes

pryan

I just picked up the a Cy Touff Pacific Jazz Lp entitled, HIS OCTET & QUINTET. There's a tune on there called "Prez-ence", which obviously uses a Prez solo as the head. The credit reads: By Young, Touff and Kamuca (Richie, the tenor sax player on the date). Can anyone tell me where this solo is lifted from? I know I've heard it before, I just can't recall where.

BTW, this technique of using Prez' solos as the themes of songs is used elsewhere as well, such as "Blues by Lester". This 'tune', as many of you know, was taken from Lester's solo on "Pound Cake", from May of 1939. I've heard it on Warne Marsh's JAZZ EXCHANGE, VOL 1., but I'm sure it's been recorded elsewhere. So another question would be, are there any other instances of this happening with other Prez solos, besides the two already mentioned?

Thanks in advance.

Interesting. I don't have the Cy Touff disk (although I should probably pick it up!). But I checked out the snipit of "Prez-ence" at CDnow.

I am almost sure that it comes from one of Prez' solos on Aladdin from the 1940s. (I carry most of those solos around in my head). I can't place it exactly, however, and I am not at home at the moment. "You're Driving Me Crazy" is a possibility.

Edited by John L

Good call, John, I just checked and the tune ("Prez-ence") is indeed based on Prez' solo from "You're Driving Me Crazy", which in turn is based on the chord changes of "Moten Swing". Man, you sure know your Lester.

BTW, the Touff is a nice session - as the title suggests, there's his quintet featuring Kamuca on one side, while on the other side has an octet with Russ Freeman, Sweets Edison, and Kamuca again, among the featured soloists.

Don't forget Dave Pell's Prez Conference. His GNP record (with singer Joe Williams doing

Billie Holiday and Jimmy Rushing vocals) recreated the Lester Young solos with three

tenors (Pell, Bob Cooper, Bob Hardaway) and one baritone in the Charlie Parker/

Supersax mode. The GNP was a pleasant album.

Eddie Jefferson used to sing a lot of Pres solos, for example:

"I've Got the Blues" (based on "Lester Leaps In.")

"Baby Girl" (based on "These Foolish Things" (Aladdin version))

"Come Along With Me" (based on Lester's Aladdin solo on "It's Only a Paper Moon")

King Pleasure also sang a lot of Pres: DB Blues, Sometimes I'm Happy, Jumping with Symphony Sid...

Edited by John L

Don't forget Dave Pell's Prez Conference. His GNP record (with singer Joe Williams doing

Billie Holiday and Jimmy Rushing vocals) recreated the Lester Young solos with three

tenors (Pell, Bob Cooper, Bob Hardaway) and one baritone in the Charlie Parker/

Supersax mode. The GNP was a pleasant album.

I was going to mention this myself. I think there's another Prez Conference date with Sweets Edison as featured soloist, too.

• 1 year later...

Now, here is the real mystery:

I have “Homeward Bound” recorded by Nat Cole Trio, LA, May 1st, 1946. – for Capitol. It says that Capitol rejected to issue this master, but mine is in Chronological Classics 938 – Nat King Cole, 1946.

Composers credits goes to Feather (it is not said if it is Leonard or other person composed this one) but… but…

I am almost certain that theme riff (A part of AABA type tune, not certain what harmonies tune is based upon) is, in fact, Lester’s famous of all famous “Easy Does It” solo, recorded in studio with Basie OT band – second A part of his 32 bar solo.

Anyone has good ears and historic knowledge to confirm this?

Oops to all Presophiles:

It is phrase at the beginning of second A part “Jive At Five” solo (not “Easy Does It” I missinformed you) “Homeward Bound” is built/composed upon.

And it is “Bud’s Blues” Spontooneous mentioned in his post.

Bud, Stitt, Roach and Curly Russell are on that session (NY, Dec. 11, 1949)

Rewinded track in my mind and – it clicked.

Yesss…

Quite interesting. One 32 bar improvisation solo and so many compositions made of that one particular moment...

I am almost certain that Gerry Mulligan has one composition in one of his Columbia albums based on some Lester’s solo (have to listen, don't know exactly).

Mulligan probably was, one of the few man who understood Pres in its conception the best.

Bird is another.

Edited by mmilovan