Don Byron - Ivey-Divey

Chrome

Maybe I'm not using the search function correctly, but I didn't turn up anything about this album ... I just picked it up based on (I thought) a recommendation here, and it's quite good.

Byron's on clarinet, bass clarinet and tenor, with Jason Moran, piano; Jack DeJohnette, drums; Ralph Alessi, trumpet on a couple tracks; and Lonnie Plaxico, bass on a couple tracks.

After one listen, it seems to be a good combination of both "inside" and "outside" playing ... sometimes Byron sounds almost Dolphy-esque ... plus, the disc includes interpretations of both Freddie Freeloader and In a Silent Way.

It's just challenging enough to make me think, but without overloading the few working brain cells I have left.

Yep, that's the one ... going back and reading it reminds of Eric Alexander posts ... seems like Byron also has that kind of a polarizing affect on people.

If God had meant the clarinet to be played with that tinny tone, he would never have given us Karl Boehm!

Seriously, Byron is a fantastic technician, but I get the feeling that he goes outside for sake of going outside ... I never feel any real conviction in his music, and I am not an admirer of his angular lines. I guess I am just a diehard DeFranco/Scott/Giuffre fan ... where is Perry Robinson when you need him?

This new, old guy Mort Weiss in not bad either ... check him out ... click here ...

http://www.smsjazz.com/catalog/index.php?o...175b7609c2a0964

Edited by garthsj

I never feel any real conviction in his music, and I am not an admirere of his angular lines.

I know what you're saying, but I guess I hear the "lack of conviction" as a kind of "cool" approach ... maybe even "cold," that I enjoy sometimes. Kind of like electronic music, if you follow.

Hm, is he a fantastic technician?  I haven't heard the new one, but was just listening to Tuskegee Experiments & was marvelling at the number of clinkers he gets away with there.

I would daresay, having listened to him quite extensively because I am always interested in those who are brave enough to try and play jazz on the clarinet, that those "clinkers" are an integral part of his improvisational style ... or, God! I hope so!

Edited by garthsj

• 1 month later...

I happened to be listening to this again this weekend and scanning the ol' liner notes, and he lists his membership in three organizations, two of which have slipped out of my head already, but I believe they were music-related ... anyway, he also lists that he's a member of Mensa!

That's great and all, but, I don't know, it struck me as kind of pretentious ... it's funny how little things like this can change the way one listens to music.

Yep, that's the one ... going back and reading it reminds of Eric Alexander posts ... seems like Byron also has that kind of a polarizing affect on people.

If God had meant the clarinet to be played with that tinny tone, he would never have given us Karl Boehm!

Seriously, Byron is a fantastic technician, but I get the feeling that he goes outside for sake of going outside ... I never feel any real conviction in his music, and I am not an admirer of his angular lines. I guess I am just a diehard DeFranco/Scott/Giuffre fan ... where is Perry Robinson when you need him?

Polarizing effect, indeed!

Maybe there's something about hearing him live... which I've done an awful lot during the past few years... but I think Don is incredible!

And I know Perry Robinson, Marty Ehrlich, Kenny Davern, Buddy DeFranco and Tony Scott all thought so too, when they all played in that "Legends of the Clarinet" week at Iridium in the summer of 2003...

Heard him just last night at Columbia University, playing with Ralph Peterson (drums), Lonnie Plaxico (bass) and Ralph Alessi (trumpet) -- Oh. My. God.

It was stunning. The guy's been growing by leaps and bounds, for years now. Tinny tone? No way. Clinkers? None. Moments of "out sound" or "extended technique"? Some, clearly intended to sound that way.

Utterly fluid, gorgeous, killer solos, nearly telepathic interaction among a quartet who've never played in that exact configuration before? Hell yeah.

I also bought this album last year, mainly because Jason Moran and Jack DeJohnette were playing on it. The CD leaves me cold-one of my bigger disappointmets of last year-but I did enjoy hearing Don Byron play live a couple of years ago. It was a program of "Jungle Music" saluting Duke Ellington.

Maybe it's just a matter of the material.

LWayne :(

• 2 months later...

I haven't picked up ivey divey yet, but I just bought Ralph Peterson's Fo'tet Augmented (Criss Cross) which features Byron throughout-- he sounds terrific to me on this release. Really loose, inventive, and sounding like he's having a ball.

ANyway, for fans of Byron, I'd highly recommend this fairly recent release:

1255.jpg

Don is an absolutely great player in an "open" context - where's he's gone wrong, IMHO, is when he tries to play on standard changes, as he does on Ivey Divey - Don playing chord changes sounds, to my ears and IMHO again, as though he's working too hard, concentrating too much on just getting the right notes, as opposed to relaxing and blowing with any degree of relaxation and command -

exactly - I first heard him playing with Craig Harris in the 1980s, and called him up afterwards to do a session - he was flattered to be called, but he really has something that shines in a free context - on the tunes with chord changes I can almost hear him thinking - he's figured out how to do it from an analytical standpoint, but it just does not come together, IMHO -

Edited by AllenLowe

Interesting.

I like him on the Harris sides I've heard, as well as on your (Allen Lowe's) At the Moment of Impact...

I've found his Blue Note dates to be very, well, VARIABLE.

A month or so back I finally got Ivey-Divey, but it hasn't really kicked in, despite the fact that I've given it several spins.

Still, I'm rooting for him; though, at times, I admit that he can be eclectic to a fault.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been enjoying ivey-divey moderately, but I'm not finding that it lives up to the hype it's received.

I just looked this thread over because I'm going to review his upcoming Boston gig. The following caught my attention:

I happened to be listening to this again this weekend and scanning the ol' liner notes, and he lists his membership in three organizations, two of which have slipped out of my head already, but I believe they were music-related ... anyway, he also lists that he's a member of Mensa!

That's great and all, but, I don't know, it struck me as kind of pretentious ... it's funny how little things like this can change the way one listens to music.

Yeah, I agree that the Mensa mention was off-putting. The other two groups he lists are the Screen Actors Guild and the Black Rock Coalition.

just reading a previous post - yes, I did record with Byron in the late 80's or early 90s (have to check)...

The liner notes of Allen's At the Moment of Impact... list the following recording dates: December 9, 1989, and January 24, 1990, but doesn't specify which tracks were recorded when. So Allen's memory is quite accurate as far as it goes.

Edited by Kalo