Dan's New Job/Career

I made reference to it in my now defunct A to Z thread, but now that there's a path going forward, I thought I'd share:

I lost my job on March 1 but in the past month I have been working on satisfying the state licensing requirements to become a Mortgage Broker. And, the test results just came in - I got a 95 (75 is passing, surprisingly, 55% fail the first time they take the test) and now its only a matter of time before I get the official piece of paper from the state.

I'm hoping to place my license with the same company that has hired my wife, and I've got an appointment with the boss on Tuesday, so hopefully I will starting my new job shortly.

I call it a "job" rather than a career, because I plan to continue to do voice overs whenever I get called, and we have worked on the studio equipment at home to allow for a better recording environment so I can pursue morevoice over castings via the internet. In fact, being a Mortgage Broker is especially appealing because by law, you are an independent contractor. So, whenever I get called for a spot, I will be free to go do it without having to ask the boss. That is very helpful because, if I were to pursue "regular" 40 hour a week employment, it would be very awkward to tell people during interviews that I'm very interested in the job and will work hard, but oh, by the way, I do voice overs and I usually get booked about two hours in advance, so there will be some days when I may give you a two hour heads up and then have to leave for Miami. Not bloody likely. Then the alternative becomes something horrible like evenings and weekends at the 7-11 or doing telemarketing and there's no way I could last very long doing that.

So, if anyone has advice about the mortgage origination business, feel free to share. And anyone in the state of Florida looking for a mortgage or a re-fi, I'm your guy! :g

And BTW, I'd say that the A to Z thread is officially kaput, as this job will require lots and lots of phone time and I won't even be able to lug the boom box and CDs into the office.

Dan,

Well good luck to you. My significant other is a Senior Mortgage Loan Officer at a large insurance company. Based on what I gather from her, one can make a pretty fair living on the brokerage side of this business.

Does this mean we won't be able to lock horns over the Sox and Yanks this year?

Up over and out.

Does this mean we won't be able to lock horns over the Sox and Yanks this year?

While this will definitely effect my time for posting, believe me, I'm not leavin' the Org behind. There'll be plenty of time to lock horns as the Sox roll toward a repeat. :g

In fact, I'll start: How do you think David Wells will be received at Yankee stadium on Sunday, wearing the uniform of the World Champions?

Good luck, Dan!

I also recently started a new career as a Health and Dental Plan Coordinator at the University of Toronto. Pay is average, but the benefits are great!

It also allows me to operate a $1.1 million operation as I see fit.

Great news, Al!

Do any of your duties involve trading? You're awfully good at that! ;):P

All the best, Dan!

Mortgage rates are on the way up and Florida is listed as one of the real estate "bubble" States, but a good man always finds a way to to a good job. Probably not the greatest time to enter the business, but enthusiasm and effort will go a long way.

Paul,

What's your source for Florida being a "bubble" state? I've read about suspicions of a developing real estate bubble, but no specifics of what states are considered "bubble states" and how that is determined.

While rates are rising of course, my strong feeling is that short of the return of Carter-era interest rates, or a season full of Category 5 Hurricanes, the demand for Florida real estate isn't ending anytime soon. Yes, refi's are going to decline as rates rise, but Florida continues to grow by leaps and bounds, and its always a churning market with people constantly on the move.

I think that in a situation of rising rates, loan originators will still find an active market in places like Florida, Texas, California, Arizona.

Dan,

I have a good friend in Dallas who was a radio broadcaster for years on traditional-style stations. He then went to satellite radio (which he still does some on weekends). But his main source of income now is doing voice work for local t/v and radio stations mainly in 300 miles radius or so. He rounded all this stuff up himself and does it ALL out of his house in his little studio he made. It's all computer-based and he makes a very good living doing this stuff. Always amazes me.

And w/2 kids...he only does it about 2 to 4 hours a day!

So..... :)

Dan,

I have a good friend in Dallas who was a radio broadcaster for years on traditional-style stations. He then went to satellite radio (which he still does some on weekends). But his main source of income now is doing voice work for local t/v and radio stations mainly in 300 miles radius or so. He rounded all this stuff up himself and does it ALL out of his house in his little studio he made. It's all computer-based and he makes a very good living doing this stuff. Always amazes me.

And w/2 kids...he only does it about 2 to 4 hours a day!

So..... :)

Right now I mostly only get commercial work but oh, yeah, there's a whole world of VOs out there that I should be pursuing. Sounds like your friend does imaging mostly. That's one area I could get into more, even though I've worked like a dog to lose my pukey announcer voice. ;)

A whole nother area is industrials, which are all of those straight narrations for videos, DVDs, training materials, promotional material for the general public ... unfortunately I really need time and some training to produce other types of demos in order to properly pursue those other areas.

All the best, Dan!

Mortgage rates are on the way up and Florida is listed as one of the real estate "bubble" States, but a good man always finds a way to to a good job.  Probably not the greatest time to enter the business, but enthusiasm and effort will go a long way.

Paul,

What's your source for Florida being a "bubble" state?

Local and national press listed Florida amongst a handful of States where the real estate values have jumped far beyond the national norm. I threw the newspapers away and I'm not an internet guy, so I can't quote sources. Perhaps it depends on the area, but there is some concern about how fast real estate prices have jumped as we approach an environment where 10-year treasury yields are moving up for the first time in about three years. I think Arizona was another "bubble" State, but I don't recall. I remember Florida as one because my parents live there. Their condo value has doubled in value since 2001! This is just general information. It may or may not apply.

I think you're right in that it will hurt refinancing, but people will still buy and sell homes. The concern in States such as Florida is that many of the homes are being bought by people who plan to re-sell for a profit. If carrying costs rise and demand cools to any great extent, then we have problems.

I am not a real estate expert; and I don't believe that real estate "bubbles" are as volatile as stock market bubbles. Maybe these things continue for years. I would imagine that it should be easily researchable on the internet.

Edited by connoisseur series500

In fact, I'll start:  How do you think David Wells will be received at Yankee stadium on Sunday, wearing the uniform of the World Champions?

Dan - Your Wells question is an interesting one. For sure, he's one of the all-time favorites in the Bronx and, in spite of his going over to the dark side, I still think he's a Yankee at heart. I'm guessing there will be a mix of boos and cheers, but I think more of the latter and less of the former. As the game (and for that matter) the season progresses, I think Yankee fans will treat him more like any other Sox player, i.e. only with the deepest and most heartfelt respect.

Up over and out.

Good luck, Dan!

I also recently started a new career as a Health and Dental Plan Coordinator at the University of Toronto. Pay is average, but the benefits are great!

It also allows me to operate a $1.1 million operation as I see fit.

Great news, Al!

Do any of your duties involve trading? You're awfully good at that! ;):P

No, but it does involve negotiating with insurance brokers. :ph34r: