What Are You Watching

Was flicking through the channels on Saturday & came across an late 70's Lawrence Welk show on a PBS station. Thought I detected Barney Kessel and Earl Palmer in the ryhthm section, and sure enough it was they. Kept watching in the hopes that one or both would get a solo.

Earl Palmer was featured on a couple of short breaks, but that was it. Wonder if it was a one time thing.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51Y37GWQ5VL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Rutles - All You Need Is Cash

So who here's heard of Ron Nasty, Dirk McQuickly, Stig O'hara and Barry Wom? I think that this is a great mockumentary and that Neil Innes' original Beatlesque songs were absolutely brilliant. He really captured the essence of their sound without falling back on just churning out a direct copy. Funny stuff though I'd say that the contributions of the Saturday Night Live players were probably the weakest moments for me. Fans of the Beatles who've followed them enough to know their movies, videos, concert footage and such should be impressed with how good this really is. Very well done.

Edited by mikelz777

So who here's heard of Ron Nasty, Dirk McQuickly, Stig O'hara and Barry Wom? I think that this is a great mockumentary and that Neil Innes' original Beatlesque songs were absolutely brilliant. He really captured the essence of their sound without falling back on just churning out a direct copy. Funny stuff though I'd say that the contributions of the Saturday Night Live players were probably the weakest moments for me. Fans of the Beatles who've followed them enough to know their movies, videos, concert footage and such should be impressed with how good this really is. Very well done.

I was shocked. And stunned.

But of course. Saw it when it was first shown on television; I forget which year, but I was in high school. Could be the first rock'n'roll mockumentary.

This weeks episode of the fascinating, complex Rubicon. I suppose we should savour this before the inevitable corporate axe falls. It's way too smart and subtle to survive into a second season.

Oh, I don't know...they probably said that about Mad Men halfway through the first season.

I just finished watching Happy Town on Hulu before it disappeared. I'm really disappointed that this show was cancelled. It only lasted 8 episodes. It wasn't exactly a "can't miss" show but it deserved a better following than what it got before it was cancelled. I want to know what was going on and what happened in Haplan, MN! Now all I can do is hang there and wonder.

(RIP Happy Town, Flash Forward, Journeyman, Firefly and the many others who had such short lives.)

premiere of Boardwalk Empire

Me too. Someone's going to have to start a thread for his one. Dynamite stuff. :tup

I was knocked out. The show not only looked totally authentic it also looked terrific, which is not always the case where period stuff is concerned. The acting was arresting - it must be Steve Buscemi's finest hour - but even more important, I think it's the first tv series - or film, I've ever seen where the music was absolutely spot-on correct stylistically and chronistically. Both in terms of the recordings utilized and the music specially recorded - for that thanks must go to the influence of Vince Giordano, I'm sure.

she's stunning, but even the previews for that show felt forced.

I'm getting ready to dig into disc 3 of Fringe: Season 2.

Watched the show and agree she's a real cutie. The show itself was tiresome.

Also watched Detroit 1-8-7 which was much better. The gritty cop thing has been flogged to death but it's still quite compelling if done well.

Detroit187-thumb-400x265-52999.jpg

I liked Firefly.

Me too. And "Serenity."

she's stunning, but even the previews for that show felt forced.

I'm getting ready to dig into disc 3 of Fringe: Season 2.

Fringe Season 2 is excellent. Can't wait for the new episode tonight.

As for "Undercovers," I think that the first episode suffered from building the situation which is a decidedly unlikely and hard to swallow situation. I think once they get beyond that phase, it might be a fun show. I DO like Alias, and this is an offshoot of that, maybe a bit watered down, remains to be seen if they'll introduce a long continuity storyline which would save it for me if it's an interesting one.

Also watched Detroit 1-8-7 which was much better. The gritty cop thing has been flogged to death but it's still quite compelling if done well.

Detroit187-thumb-400x265-52999.jpg

Happened to catch part of this and found it reasonably entertaining. The new guy's pregnant wife calling him all the time was a bit much though.

I watched Detroit 1-8-7 as well and thought that it looked promising enough to make me want to follow it for a while to see how it develops. I thought it was done pretty well, especially for a pilot show which often requires a certain amount of grace and forgiveness. I like that it's gritty and not populated with a bunch of people who look and dress like models. (i.e. it has "real" people) The rookie cop stuff was bordering on annoying but I thought it was hilarious when the guy he chased and hand-cuffed to the children's play gym went running off with a slide cuffed to his wrist when the rookie cop wasn't paying enough attention. I thought Michael Imperioli was pretty strong in his role.

Edited by mikelz777