What Are You Watching

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

URGH!: A Music War

Finally out on DVD! My brother-in-law worries about

holiday gifts for me, but he got it right this year.

Didn't know that this was released. Haven't seen this

in nearly 30 years. After it's official big screen release,

it was frequently a midnight movie event at many theaters later.

Now if they would only release "Dance Craze!"

123001.jpg

I finished watching Caprica Season 1.0 and have started on Season 1.5.

First off, the dvd sets are a rip-off. . . they're priced almost as if they were each a full season, but they're only a half season each. I was hoping for Blu-Ray releases but I confess that the upscaled dvd image is excellent and the sound is very good.

But despite the overpricing. . . I loved this show. So sorry it's been canceled. Battlestar Galactica fans seem disappointed that it wasn't Battlestar Galactica. I'm glad that it took a very different path. I think that their treatment of the possibility of a "virtual world" part internet and part virtual reality was masterful. Following three likely paths for this virtual world may be confusing to many but intrigued me. One path the world took was a hedonistic playground for all vices fuled by young hormones. Another was the proposed use of the virtual world as a "heavenly place" as reward for religious service. And the third proposed use is as a way to create versions of lost loved ones and allow a mourner to interact with a near identical departed loved one. The subtle exploration of the moral and social ramifications of all these intrigue me.

I also found the portrayal of terrorists in this series to be fascinating. I know one viewer who was upset that the show seemed to be portraying Christians as terrorists. That shows to me that the writer's intent was realized.

Fascinating show that I recommend to science fiction and tv drama enthusiasts.

Edited by jazzbo

Over the last week - three episodes of a Swedish version of Wallendar (not the famous series which I've yet to see - there's an episode tonight). Enjoyed them very much.

Last night:

220px-Elizabeth_golden_poster.jpg

Passed the time, but tried to cover too much ground in too short a time.

I can cope with historical inaccuracy for dramatic ends (if it's OK for Shakespeare...) but the scenes where Sir Walter Raleigh beat the Spanish Armada singlehanded were straight out of Errol Flynn.

And the misty mountain lochside scenes of Mary Queen of Scot's detention centre at Fotheringay castle were amusing. Fotheringay is in Northamptonshire which is flat and one of the dullest counties in England!

Clive Owen was hopeless as Raleigh; I seem to recall him being similarly unimpressive in the blockbuster about King Arthur.

Watched a documentary on the relationship between Vlade Divac and Drazen Petrovic on ESPN this afternoon. It touched on friendship, broken friendship, politics, war .... One of the most moving sports related films I've ever seen.

There are some great documentaries on the 30 on 30 series, The Two Pablos was great also, as well as the ones on SMU and the Marcus Dupree one. Some not so good ones in there also. I'm tempted to get the box set of the first fifteen that's out now.