What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

86623.jpg

"Dr Foster" - a pretty standard TV story of marital betrayal and revenge. Not the sort of thing I'd normally watch but I'm rather partial to Suranne Jones. She does seem to play much the same character as in Scott & Bailey - nervy and impulsive with explosive consequences. 

51jHwXdfz9L.jpg

Never read the book, largely through not being keen on magical realism or fantasy in general (Wagner excepted!). But enjoyed this. You got a real sense that a long, complex book was been whizzed through and I'd imagine admirers of the book would not be taken with it. Great soundtrack. 

ciderwithrosie3.jpg?w=748&h=498&crop=1

Cider with Rosie

Soft-centred and sentimental but I rather enjoyed this...especially the views of the English countryside, mythologised by the camera into unreal loveliness. I read the book when I was about 12 and living in Gloucestershire. Found it a bit racy at the time! The teenagers seemed to be played by much older actors - Rosie looked like a 20 something! 

Can't find anything about the music - sounded like Spiro or Three Cane Whale, contemporary folkies with a slightly minimalist spin on the music.

In fact minimalism seems to have become the default soundtrack approach of recent years - all those motor rhythms and repeated melodic patterns. Where did that start? The Piano, The Draughtsman's Contract? Even something olde Englishe like Downton Abbey has one of those. Whatever happened to the plaintive oboes and soaring violas? 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Ray Donovan  .

A great finale to a great season.

ciderwithrosie3.jpg?w=748&h=498&crop=1

Cider with Rosie

Soft-centred and sentimental but I rather enjoyed this...especially the views of the English countryside, mythologised by the camera into unreal loveliness. I read the book when I was about 12 and living in Gloucestershire. Found it a bit racy at the time! The teenagers seemed to be played by much older actors - Rosie looked like a 20 something! 

Can't find anything about the music - sounded like Spiro or Three Cane Whale, contemporary folkies with a slightly minimalist spin on the music.

In fact minimalism seems to have become the default soundtrack approach of recent years - all those motor rhythms and repeated melodic patterns. Where did that start? The Piano, The Draughtsman's Contract? Even something olde Englishe like Downton Abbey has one of those. Whatever happened to the plaintive oboes and soaring violas? 

Will be watching it later.

Ran [DVD]

Spectacular. High body count! 

I got curious about this because of Takemitsu's role in providing the music. Had me riveted. I need to watch some more Asian films - remember seeing a few excellent historically based films from China in 80s when I lived in walking distance of an independent cinema.

Watched last night's Gotham. Alfred remains my favorite character. They are really pulling no punches this season. Liked that they played Coltrane/Ellington "In A Sentimental Mood" in the bar scene.

Watching Minority Report. . .. I seem to like it more than others, it's okay.

Edit to add: I finished watching the episode. I like this series so far. Casting seems okay to me. Biggest drawbacks: set so far in the future and doesn't seem to be that far in the future to me, but that is necessary because of the "grown up and free" aspect to the lives of the pre-cogs; done in Canada with that look that all those shows so produced have. . . takes me out of the settings even further so to speak.

But I like the theme of the three pre-cogs dealing with their lives and gifts in their way. I know I am going to tire of the "murder of the week" bit but see that at least at this point it's necessary. I think this could grow to be the new "Fringe" for me.

Edited by jazzbo

Ran [DVD]

Spectacular. High body count! 

I got curious about this because of Takemitsu's role in providing the music. Had me riveted. I need to watch some more Asian films - remember seeing a few excellent historically based films from China in 80s when I lived in walking distance of an independent cinema.

Takemitsu is great, a genuine original. He's done the music to quite a lot of classic films. The best ones are Pitfall, Harakiri, Woman In The Dunes, Kaidan, Assassination, The Face Of Another, Samurai Rebellion and Double Suicide. In other words he provided the musical background for just about the best films from the Japanese '60s new wave. People talk about the French new wave but the Japanese one was much more interesting imo. Ran is a knockout film. There are also some very good Korean films out there.

Thanks, kinuta. Could do with those hints. The only Korean film I recall watching was 'Brotherhood' about the Korean War - that was good. 

I know Takemitsu from his concert hall pieces but have only heard the odd suite from the films. 

Last night:

Chico_Rita.jpg

Nice little animation set in Cuba and New York in the late 40s. Lots of (animated) cameo appearances from stars of Cuban music and Bebop. 

Chico_Rita_2_depth1.jpg?1350842803

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Thanks, kinuta. Could do with those hints. The only Korean film I recall watching was 'Brotherhood' about the Korean War - that was good. 

I know Takemitsu from his concert hall pieces but have only heard the odd suite from the films. 

Last night:

Chico_Rita.jpg

Nice little animation set in Cuba and New York in the late 40s. Lots of (animated) cameo appearances from stars of Cuban music and Bebop. 

Ah, I've been wanting to see this one for years and still haven't. As far as I know it only was shown once at the start of a film festival and didn't get to the theatres here. I had sort of hoped it still would come. Did you see this in a theatre or did you get the DVD?

It was shown on the TV over here some time back. I had no idea what it was apart from having Cuban jazz as the soundtrack. I recorded it on the digi-recorder and forgot about it. Scrolling through for something to watch last night, there it was! I was surprised to see it was an animation. Very well done. The story is slight but the animation is very impressive and the music wonderful. And you can play spot the famous musician - Woody Herman, Chano Pozo (his murder takes place in the story), Monk, Dizzy, Parker, Webster etc. 

Liked Chico & Rita!!

Right, me too.

Liked Chico & Rita!!

Last night:

Chico_Rita.jpg

It was shown on the TV over here some time back. I had no idea what it was apart from having Cuban jazz as the soundtrack. I recorded it on the digi-recorder and forgot about it. Scrolling through for something to watch last night, there it was! I was surprised to see it was an animation. Very well done. The story is slight but the animation is very impressive and the music wonderful. And you can play spot the famous musician - Woody Herman, Chano Pozo (his murder takes place in the story), Monk, Dizzy, Parker, Webster etc. 

Thanks. Aw, which net, BBC? Then I could have seen it myself. I still hope to catch it some time. The book is lovely too, but I want to listen to the music, so I need to watch the film itself.

I'm a fan of Susanne Jones too, btw. That Doctor series I have heard of but not seen yet.

Edited by page

The Blacklist.  I avoided this show for a couple years but once it showed up on Netflix I decided to give it a shot.  It's total paint-by-numbers procedural TV, but it does a fairly good job of applying the formula and keeping it entertaining.  James Spader chews up great gobs of scenery but is consistently entertaining.  Spader and the various guest star villains are where most of the interesting characterizations come from...the rest of the regular cast is less convincing but then again, the formula helps carry them.  Season 2 was an improvement overall.  Guess I'll start watching season 3 now since Hulu has the current run episodes available.  

Thanks. Aw, which net, BBC? Then I could have seen it myself. I still hope to catch it some time. The book is lovely too, but I want to listen to the music, so I need to watch the film itself.

I'm a fan of Susanne Jones too, btw. That Doctor series I have heard of but not seen yet.

Think it was BBC4. 

Oak Tree: Nature's Greatest Survivor (BBC Four)

Beautiful 90 minute film - they filmed an oak near Oxford and conducted various tests over a year starting in August to see how it worked and how it dealt with the stresses of climate and predators. Utterly extraordinary; as well as all the science bits some marvellous history - the Victory, medieval ink and whisky! 

Stunning photography.