What Are You Watching

On 2015/11/28 17:43:59, A Lark Ascending said:

tumblr_nmv6rlvfok1rvyadto1_500.jpg

Brian Pern: A Life in Rock

Missed this when it first went out. Catching up with Series 1 on a TV rebroadcast and Series 2 on the iPlayer.

Clearly influenced by Spinal Tap, a spoof on an imaginary rock musician based on Peter Gabriel, his ludicrous vanities and tortured relationship with his former public school bandmates from Thotch. Lots of famous people in the cameos from Ann Nightingale and Rick Wakeman to Roger Moore. Apparently Gabriel himself appears at some point.

Not A List comedy but the 30 minute programmes fit nicely into those times when you are waiting for the tea to cook. 

Third series in January so it clearly resonates with a part of the British TV watching public (probably all bald). 

" Tea to cook " might be lost in translation, Bev, like get kettle on or packing up. :D

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, kinuta said:

" Tea to cook " might be lost in translation, Bev, like get kettle on or packing up. :D

Didn't even think of that! Of course, what I meant was that each episode can be watched alongside a glass of port whilst waiting for cook to prepare dinner. 

This Is England '86 (2010) Poster

Episodes 1-3. Good, lord, this is grim TV. The section at the end of episode 3 where everyone watches the World Cup in the pub whilst the young girl is raped by Lol's father back at home has to be one of the most uncomfortable 15 minutes of TV I've ever seen. 

Brilliant acting, especially from Vicky McClure.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On 11/30/2015, 7:53:27, A Lark Ascending said:

This Is England '86 (2010) Poster

Episodes 1-3. Good, lord, this is grim TV. The section at the end of episode 3 where everyone watches the World Cup in the pub whilst the young girl is raped by Lol's father back at home has to be one of the most uncomfortable 15 minutes of TV I've ever seen. 

Brilliant acting, especially from Vicky McClure.

Episode 4....equally as compelling. 

Going to have to sidetrack to the last 7 episodes of the glossier world of Mad Men next where the injuries are largely self-inflicted.

Also episode 4 of London Spy.  

Episodes of "Jay Leno's Garage" . . . a good show.

Final half of the final season of Breaking Bad on Blu-ray. Though I think they tied things a little too prettily in a bow at the very end, GRIPPING TV. I hadn't watched any of the last eight episodes since it was broadcast.

51aUGaYwZZL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

Only time I watched this before was very late at night about 30 years ago and it didn't click...think I dozed through much of it. Was alerted to it again a couple of years back when a student teacher I was supervising made brilliant use of the clip in the beer garden when teaching about Nazi Germany. 

Absolutely loved it last night. Wonderful film. 

p0370h0w.jpg

London Spy - last episode

I loved this series but found the ending rather unsatisfying. All got a bit melodramatic with the burning maze and Rampling's sudden change of heart. 

Hardest thing of all to pull off - a really convincing ending (a bit like symphonies!). 

I'd never come across Ben Whishaw before but he seems to be everywhere all of a sudden - Suffragette, Richard II, the new Moby Dick related film. I thought he was superb in London Spy. 

3 hours ago, A Lark Ascending said:

p0370h0w.jpg

London Spy - last episode

I loved this series but found the ending rather unsatisfying. All got a bit melodramatic with the burning maze and Rampling's sudden change of heart. 

Hardest thing of all to pull off - a really convincing ending (a bit like symphonies!). 

I'd never come across Ben Whishaw before but he seems to be everywhere all of a sudden - Suffragette, Richard II, the new Moby Dick related film. I thought he was superb in London Spy. 

trying to avoid spoilers....

I thought it became progressively less convincing after the rather good first episode. The finale was disappointing and I thought tried to hide its mundanity behind unnecessary layers of "atmospheric" dialogue. The best bit was Alex being tested by his own invention but even that was hardly surprising. I'm sure 'the establishment' would have found much more clinical ways of torturing him than they did.

I have to disagree about Wishaw who seemed to have two settings - "disappointed puppy dog" and "outraged teenager" and why did he go "all cockney" every now and again. Broadbent held it all together (do we know why he came to the end he did?) I thought which may have been  why I was disappointed in the final episode

I lost power and couldn't record Fargo, so I have to wait a week til it's rebroadcast.

I love Ruth Wilson and watched the first season of The Affair. And then I became engaged to a woman who reminds me some of Ruth, and who had been betrayed for years by a husband who is no longer her husband, and I felt it was best for me not to watch a show called The Affair. . . she wouldn't dig it. So no season 2 for me.

I've started the final season of Sons of Anarchy on Blu-ray. I saw it on broadcast. . .very violent season.

29 minutes ago, jazzbo said:

I lost power and couldn't record Fargo, so I have to wait a week til it's rebroadcast.

I love Ruth Wilson and watched the first season of The Affair. And then I became engaged to a woman who reminds me some of Ruth, and who had been betrayed for years by a husband who is no longer her husband, and I felt it was best for me not to watch a show called The Affair. . . she wouldn't dig it. So no season 2 for me.

I've started the final season of Sons of Anarchy on Blu-ray. I saw it on broadcast. . .very violent season.

Pity. Season two expands to include more time with the ex spouses. It's very interesting drama.

Edited by kinuta

Last part of 'Capital':

Capital

Really liked the adaptation of this - it's a long bookl but they got the spirit of it over in 3 hours. Perhaps a bit too sympathetic of the stockbroker/hedge fund chap. 

It also had a satisfying ending...largely happy and redemptive, but then you remember the woman in the van being deported back to Zimbabwe. 

quartet-ost.jpg

Passed the time but a pretty standard plot with redemptive ending. Chock-a-block with famous names but they seemed to be playing to stereotype - Grand Dame Maggie, motor-mouth Billy etc. Third thing I've seen Tom Courtney in recently and he's played the irritable elderly man every time (if they decide to make a film of my life he'll be a shoe-in [the tantrum because of a misfiled CD should be a classic]).

What a Performance! Pioneers of Popular Entertainment (BBC4) (Episode 2 - early 20thC)

Very enjoyable again. People I know like George Formby, Gracie Fields and Sir Harry Lauder; but I was quite unaware of the intriguing cross-dressing Vesta Tilley. 

Broadway: The American Musical (2004) [DVD]

Episode 1 from 1890s Ziegfeld up to Showboat (1927).

I saw bits of this many years ago - it was on daytime TV which my parents had on all the time. Was taken by it but couldn't watch it uninterrupted. Found a very cheap version so sat down to watch the first episode on the back of seeing Showboat last night locally. Very enjoyable bit of social history.