What Are You Watching

This Is England 90

Great, poignant series finale. TV at it's finest.:tup:tup 

Just watched it and came to post the same thing. To think this is the end of This Is England is a crying shame. One of the great chronicles of Britain in the late 20th Century. Continues the tradition of realist TV drama that holds a mirror to society in general, asks questions of it and holds it to account

I now want to rewatch all the series from the beginning

It will be fascinating to see what Meadows does next

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This Is England 90

Great, poignant series finale. TV at it's finest.:tup:tup 

Just watched it and came to post the same thing. To think this is the end of This Is England is a crying shame. One of the great chronicles of Britain in the late 20th Century. Continues the tradition of realist TV drama that holds a mirror to society in general, asks questions of it and holds it to account

I now want to rewatch all the series from the beginning

It will be fascinating to see what Meadows does next

It was especially meaningful for me as I'm from Sheffield, was born in the Park district which was the setting for much of the final episode, and lived as a teenager on Gleadless Valley that was heavily  featured throughout. The dialogues were absolutely bang on right, that really is the way people spoke, thought and acted. The viewing experience was memorable and bittersweet making the final season one of the year's best , if not the best, dramas. Like you I'll rewatch the whole series  and look forward to Mr Meadows next project, although I doubt anything he comes up with could equal This Is England.

Homeland S5E1

Great. I really liked season four and this maintains the same high standard of writing and acting.

It's now clear that the whole painfully extended Brody thread was a red herring, this is what the show should have been from the start.

Glad to hear that.

I'm just starting Season 4.

Live theatre for the first time in many a year (apart from school productions).

'Henry V' at the RSC in Stratford. Wonderful evening. Not a play I know (apart from lots of famous bits quoted all over the place) but I found it stirring and very, very funny. Just like the last time I want to the RSC (about 20 years ago!) I sat there puzzling out where I'd seen various faces before.  Oliver Ford Davies as the Chorus who has a film/TV CV as long as your arm and I recall seeing on TV regularly even though few of the films listed on Wiki are ones I'd consciously watched. Similarly Alex Hassell who played Henry. 

Like most things I go to the audience were mainly my own age and above; but this time with substantial groups of school students. A lovely few moments in the last scenes where Henry is wooing the French princess and the girls could not contain their 'aaahs' at the soppy bits; the actors reacted wonderfully to the interjections. 

Much smaller theatre than I expected - despite having an inexpensive seat I was right up close. Will go again next year to see Marlowe's Dr. Faustus, a play I studied for A Level 40+ years ago. It's only 2 CDs away in the car and Stratford on a Monday is dead, parking cheap (£4 for 11 hours!)!

Coming to a cinema near you on Oct 21st, which happens to be the 500th anniversary of Agincourt (give or take a few misreadings of the calendar).

6093_4451.jpg

Worth going to see if you are a cinema goer. I must keep my eye on these broadcasts. Never really noticed them before but even the cinema in Worksop shows them and Worksop does not do 'culture'!

Edited by A Lark Ascending

It was shown on the TV over here some time back. I had no idea what it was apart from having Cuban jazz as the soundtrack. I recorded it on the digi-recorder and forgot about it. Scrolling through for something to watch last night, there it was! I was surprised to see it was an animation. Very well done. The story is slight but the animation is very impressive and the music wonderful. And you can play spot the famous musician - Woody Herman, Chano Pozo (his murder takes place in the story), Monk, Dizzy, Parker, Webster etc. 

Thanks. Aw, which net, BBC? Then I could have seen it myself. I still hope to catch it some time. The book is lovely too, but I want to listen to the music, so I need to watch the film itself.

I'm a fan of Susanne Jones too, btw. That Doctor series I have heard of but not seen yet.

Think it was BBC4. 

Thanks. I only have 3 BBC channels. :(

It was shown on the TV over here some time back. I had no idea what it was apart from having Cuban jazz as the soundtrack. I recorded it on the digi-recorder and forgot about it. Scrolling through for something to watch last night, there it was! I was surprised to see it was an animation. Very well done. The story is slight but the animation is very impressive and the music wonderful. And you can play spot the famous musician - Woody Herman, Chano Pozo (his murder takes place in the story), Monk, Dizzy, Parker, Webster etc. 

Thanks. Aw, which net, BBC? Then I could have seen it myself. I still hope to catch it some time. The book is lovely too, but I want to listen to the music, so I need to watch the film itself.

I'm a fan of Susanne Jones too, btw. That Doctor series I have heard of but not seen yet.

Think it was BBC4. 

Pity - BBC4 is the one where you get all the music, history and painting programmes. And continental detective stories! 

Think it was BBC4. 

Pity - BBC4 is the one where you get all the music, history and painting programmes. And continental detective stories! 

Aw! :(

Lewis_Series5_1.jpg

New series of Lewis. Like a well-worn, much loved pair of blood stained slippers. Like it even more now I know Whately is a folky (he's singer Martha Tilston's uncle and sings on her last record). 

p03233ml.jpg

Last episode of Doctor Foster. Explosive first half with Jones wonderful as the vengeful wife. But it didn't really know how to end..wilted a bit. The lad who played the son was excellent. 

Lewis_Series5_1.jpg

New series of Lewis. Like a well-worn, much loved pair of blood stained slippers. Like it even more now I know Whately is a folky (he's singer Martha Tilston's uncle and sings on her last record). 

p03233ml.jpg

Last episode of Doctor Foster. Explosive first half with Jones wonderful as the vengeful wife. But it didn't really know how to end..wilted a bit. The lad who played the son was excellent. 

Right. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

She was brilliant and really let it rip with frightening, premeditated intensity.

The dinner scene was totally riveting as comeuppance was served for starter, entree and dessert .

Edited by kinuta

Grimm - season 4 (via Amazon Prime) - I think this is the best season yet, took this show forever to get the right balance of arc/standalone but they finally seem to have smoothed it out.  

I also watched Zoo which was an interesting premise hampered by haphazard execution, lazy scriptwriting and budgetary constraints.  

Homeland S5E1

Great. I really liked season four and this maintains the same high standard of writing and acting.

It's now clear that the whole painfully extended Brody thread was a red herring, this is what the show should have been from the start.

I'm in total agreement. So far this season has started very strong.

Other shows....

My wife watches "The Affair", so by default I also watch it. Something about Season 2 has me much more interested than Season 1, so I'm glad.

I watched all of Documentary Now! with Bill Hader and Fred Armisen, fucking brilliant, especially episode 3 (Dronez) and episode 4 (The Eyes Don't Lie).

Still need to get caught up on Portlandia.

Edited by catesta

Homeland S5E1

I'm in total agreement. So far this season has started very strong.

Other shows....

My wife watches "The Affair", so by default I also watch it. Something about Season 2 has me much more interested than Season 1, so I'm glad.

I watched all of Documentary Now! with Bill Hader and Fred Armisen, fucking brilliant, especially episode 3 (Dronez) and episode 4 (The Eyes Don't Lie).

Still need to get caught up on Portlandia.

I like The Affair , the script and acting are good, the Rashomon type format is interesting and the story has so far evaded falling into cliche.

I haven't seen Documentary Now !, but  after your recommendation, will make an effort to do so.

UNFORGOTTEN-TX-640x287.png

Intriguing new murder mystery thingy. Nicola Walker is another one of those actors who will get me watching things I might not otherwise watch. Though her accent has mutated from Yorkshire to Lahn-dun.   

Looks interesting.

Bernard Hill is an unheralded actor. I remember he did an excellent crime thriller called Bellman & True.

He also played Dr David Livingstone in the sadly forgotten Mountains Of The Moon by Bob Rafelson.

That's on ' the best films you've never seen ' list.

greatbritish_2690544b.jpg

The Great British Year: Winter

2013 series that completely passed me by. Stunning photography of Britain in winter - great aerial shots, excellent use of time lapse but, most impressive, the use use of thermal image cameras to capture nocturnal activity. The arrival of a badger and a fox in a field where leverets were hiding was as tense as any movie thriller.  

Suffers from a 'isn't Britain special?' narrative that would warm a Ukippers heart. But riveting, nonetheless.   

Finished up Supernatural - Season 10.  The character actors occupying the various villain roles are what keeps this show reasonably entertaining, the show itself is so formula at this point it basically writes itself.  But it's like a comfortable pair of old tennis shoes that you don't want to throw out...

BBC River

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03471/river2_3471697b.jpg

Brilliant first episode.

Glad I videoed it (or Digiboxed it!)  - have read a few very enthusiastic reviews. Just hope my brain can keep the plots of these current thrillers separate!  

Nicola Walker is a busy camper, she's in this and Unforgotten.

The main attraction is Stellan Skarsgard, with Lesley Manville and Eddie Marsan adding extra thespian heft. An incredible contrast with the new crop of US shows, all of which (Fargo apart) are dire rubbish.