What Are You Watching

There was a feature on Joddrell Bank on the BBC North West news tonight. I wasn't paying much attention until I heard Monk playing "Straight No Chaser" on the audio. One not infrequently hears jazz on BBC programming, I think it's cheap because it's out of copyright. Almost all of it sounds rather incongruous to me - you might hear "Dat Dere" playing behind documentaries about local councils or consumer programmes, It's a little disconcerting to hear Monk on national TV.  

Edited by rdavenport

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jessica Jones (Netflix)

the-villain-whispers-in-jessica-jones-po

Watched the first 3 episodes and so far it's an excellent adult dramatic series that just happens to have comic origins, but is as far removed from the other superhero stuff as you can get. 

I've been a fan of Krysten Ritter since I saw her in Veronica Mars years ago, I'm glad she finally got a worthy vehicle for her talent.  David Tennant was an inspired choice as the "big bad" for the season. 

Edited by Shawn

6 hours ago, Shawn said:

Jessica Jones (Netflix)

the-villain-whispers-in-jessica-jones-po

Watched the first 3 episodes and so far it's an excellent adult dramatic series that just happens to have comic origins, but is as far removed from the other superhero stuff as you can get. 

I've been a fan of Krysten Ritter since I saw her in Veronica Mars years ago, I'm glad she finally got a worthy vehicle for her talent.  David Tennant was an inspired choice as the "big bad" for the season. 

I've watched the first two episodes and am hooked.

I thought we'd have a long wait until something as good as Daredevil came along but this is really good so far and, as you say, has zero in common with the usual pedestrian superhero tv stuff.

1 hour ago, A Lark Ascending said:

RTEmagicC_RTEmagicC_2002112109_jpg_01.jp

The Bridge - Season 3 (the proper one)

No Martin, though constantly alluded to in prison. Thoroughly involving as ever but quite hard to follow - a lot of things going on that I couldn't yet piece together. 

Recorded The Bridge.  I still haven't caught up with last week's Arne Dahl.  I still find that nothing compares to Spiral.

Hamlet

Not in the Barbican but in the Savoy Cinema in Worksop (not live either, a re-broadcast of a performance that went out a little while back). First time I've tried one of these theatre/ballet/opera in cinema experiences. I will do more.

Did not know Hamlet apart from a distant memory of watching a TV version when I was about 17. Mugged up on the plot in one of the Duffer's Guides to Shakespeare I've got and then settled in for the 3 1/2 hours. I've read all sorts of reviews about this but I was completely absorbed. Cumberbatch seems to be something of a front rank celebrity at present though I only recall seeing him in the TV adaptation of "Parade's End" (which was excellent). I thought he was brilliant here. Why, it even had Nat King Cole, Sidney Bechet and Frank Sinatra in it!

Have booked for 'The Winter's Tale' next month in the same situation. Another one I don't know.    

This_is_england_film_poster.jpg

Based on recommendations in this thread. Great film and very evocative of that era. I never lived in that social strata, but the kids I taught were very much from that world. Thomas Turgoose was great as the young lad. I loved the way it focussed on the camaraderie and loyalty within the group as well as the more menacing aspects. More sentimental than I expected but a compelling 90 minutes.

Will follow with the 3 TV series. 

40 minutes ago, A Lark Ascending said:

Based on recommendations in this thread. Great film and very evocative of that era. I never lived in that social strata, but the kids I taught were very much from that world. Thomas Turgoose was great as the young lad. I loved the way it focussed on the camaraderie and loyalty within the group as well as the more menacing aspects. More sentimental than I expected but a compelling 90 minutes.

Glad you enjoyed it Bev. Meadows isn't afraid at pulling at the heart strings. He continues to do so through to the finale. 

London Spy continues to impress. Though if anything it has got slower in pace (not a complaint!). Not comfortable TV. A lot of needles being poked into veins (or maybe arteries). 

capital-bbc.jpg

BBC's adaptation of John Lanchester's 'Capital' started last night. A couple of years since I read it so I've forgotten all but the outline. Very much enjoyed it. Plays to all my prejudices.  

10 hours ago, Shawn said:

THE-MAN-IN-THE-HIGH-CASTLE-Season-1.jpg

One I'd like to see - will await the arrival in DVD rental land. I have the book which I've not yet read. Might read that first. 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

On 11/23/2015, 8:15:40, A Lark Ascending said:

1986, which is very difficult viewing at times, is a masterpiece IMO.  1988 and 1990 are not as good, but still well worth watching though. 

11 hours ago, Shawn said:

Finished up Jessica Jones, damn good series and man did it get intense in the last half of the season!  Hoping it gets renewed (and with the critical acclaim it's almost a guarantee).  

Now starting:  

The Man In The High Castle (Amazon)

THE-MAN-IN-THE-HIGH-CASTLE-Season-1.jpg

Yes, indeed. Jessica Jones was an extremely intense rollercoaster for much of the latter half , I had to take some breaks from the binge to decompress.

One of the best shows of the year, along with Daredevil.

So now there are three shows I'll wait to see hoping they come to disc: Daredevil, Jessica Jones and The Man in the High Castle.

Enjoying the bleak paranoid ride that is Manhattan, Season One. And enjoying the violent goofy ride that is Fargo, Season 2.

Bev: I think you would really enjoy the Dick novel, though I don't think you need to know it to watch this series.

Edited by jazzbo

Still enjoying Code Black. I like the constant focus on the ER and the never ending stream of emergencies.

Nine episodes in and no annoying back stories or romances to distract from the tense action.

Incomparably better than the soggy and weak Chicago Med.

I've stopped watching the other new programmes like Quantico, Minority Report etc. All rubbish.

13 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Nobody's watching Fargo season 2? More consistent and better all-round than season 1, I believe.

I am. I don't think it's better than last year's just different.    The last episode had the best mis-direction I think I've ever seen on tv.  Set's you up for something and then completely turns it around. 

15 minutes ago, erwbol said:
Just now, medjuck said:

I am. I don't think it's better than last year's just different.    The last episode had the best mis-direction I think I've ever seen on tv.  Set's you up for something and then completely turns it around. 

Billy Bob & Martin Freeman made season one magnetic.

Although it's very good, I don't think season two is quite so compelling.

tumblr_nmv6rlvfok1rvyadto1_500.jpg

Brian Pern: A Life in Rock

Missed this when it first went out. Catching up with Series 1 on a TV rebroadcast and Series 2 on the iPlayer.

Clearly influenced by Spinal Tap, a spoof on an imaginary rock musician based on Peter Gabriel, his ludicrous vanities and tortured relationship with his former public school bandmates from Thotch. Lots of famous people in the cameos from Ann Nightingale and Rick Wakeman to Roger Moore. Apparently Gabriel himself appears at some point.

Not A List comedy but the 30 minute programmes fit nicely into those times when you are waiting for the tea to cook. 

Third series in January so it clearly resonates with a part of the British TV watching public (probably all bald). 

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Fargo season 1 borrowed too much from the film (story, setting, quirky accents). The same Coen humour was attempted, but not always carried out to perfection by the cast. Martin Freeman was a poor substitute for William H. Macy, Bob Odenkirk played Bob Odenkirk with a moustache and police uniform on, and Collin Hanks is a god-awfull actor (see Dexter). Only Bill Bob Thornton would have succesfully fit in the Coen film.