What Are You Watching

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The final three episodes of Mad Men, which were excellent.

The pilot of the 'V' remake which was shallow and pointless. I can't understand why they've decided to remake an already rubbishy series, maybe to show off the developments in special effects. Methinks it will expire quickly.

I watched the first episode of Star Trek last night (The Man Trap) and hereby wish to apologize to all those younger than I whom I criticized as just not getting it, and who put up with my defense of this show as ahead of it's time, a classic, etc. This is the cheesiest crap I've seen since that weekend when I was kidnapped and forced to watch a Dr. Who marathon. Holding this up as a classic of television science fiction when it was preceded by both The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone is unforgivable, and I apologize. To make it up to you, you may have free access to my lawn for one week.

I watched the first episode of Star Trek last night (The Man Trap) and hereby wish to apologize to all those younger than I whom I criticized as just not getting it, and who put up with my defense of this show as ahead of it's time, a classic, etc. This is the cheesiest crap I've seen since that weekend when I was kidnapped and forced to watch a Dr. Who marathon. Holding this up as a classic of television science fiction when it was preceded by both The Outer Limits and The Twilight Zone is unforgivable, and I apologize. To make it up to you, you may have free access to my lawn for one week.

All of the subsequent series, Next Generation, Voyager and especially Deep Space 9 were much better in my opinion.

Forever seeking the award for the most unhip person on this board:

sound-of-music-DVDcover.jpg

Haven't seen this since about 1966 (when I saw it three times!). Seem to know it off by heart - we only had 2 LPs at the time so played the soundtrack endlessly (the other was 'Mary Poppins').

Enjoyed it thoroughly. I'm not good with TV or films...I get restless after 30 minutes but this kept me absorbed for its full run.

Another bit of nostalgia:

51C6WTP3ZQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

BBC TV serialisation from 1977 of an H.E. Bates novel. I recall watching during an Autumn of unemployment while I was seeking my first teaching job. I remember being besotted by Mel Martin in the title role as a femme fatale. I was off on interview the evening of the last episode so never saw it.

Holds up well, even with the rather indoor BBC production values of the time.

So far episodes 1-3. Waiting for the DVD rental people to send me disc 2.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Another bit of nostalgia:

51C6WTP3ZQL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

BBC TV serialisation from 1977 of an H.E. Bates novel. I recall watching during an Autumn of unemployment while I was seeking my first teaching job. I remember being besotted by Mel Martin in the title role as a femme fatale. I was off on interview the evening of the last episode so never saw it.

Holds up well, even with the rather indoor BBC production values of the time.

So far episodes 1-3. Waiting for the DVD rental people to send me disc 2.

Vaguely remember it. The problem I have with some of those old dramas is the pace of it - not that that's at all wrong (in fact IMO it can be very right) but we are so used now to seeing fast paced stuff with the inevitable sub-woofer noise in the background that it comes as a bit of a shock !

Wasn't it broadcast around the same time as 'The Beidebecke Connection'?

Edited by sidewinder