Baseball 2005

Rogers apologized for his actions. I heard bits of it, and from what I could tell, he sounded contrite. One of the local commentators made the comment that what Rogers said did not sound like it was prepared for him (i.e. prepared by a lawyer). In fact, Rogers said he was apologizing against the advice of his attorney. He admitted he was wrong, that what he did was inexcusable.

Make of that what you will. The fact that he did this against the advice of his lawyer tells me it was from the heart. If he decides not to go to the All-Star Game, my respect for him will go up as well.

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rogers apologized for his actions. I heard bits of it, and from what I could tell, he sounded contrite. One of the local commentators made the comment that what Rogers said did not sound like it was prepared for him (i.e. prepared by a lawyer). In fact, Rogers said he was apologizing against the advice of his attorney. He admitted he was wrong, that what he did was inexcusable.

Make of that what you will. The fact that he did this against the advice of his lawyer tells me it was from the heart. If he decides not to go to the All-Star Game, my respect for him will go up as well.

I definitely think he'll do the right thing and skip the All-Star game. The game doesn't need that distraction, he wants to put this behind him and the media won't let him, and he won't have to listen to the fans give him hell. Really should be a no-brainer for him to back out. Might also get him some good press, as I read that his bonus for making the All-Star team equals the fine Selig handed down. Though that doesn't mean that declining the invite doesn't trigger the bonus being paid anyway ....

Meanwhile, further interesting news on the Schilling-to-the-bullpen story. Seems that Schilling was the one who offered to go (though the staff was discussing it already) but now I've seen Damon, Timlin and Wakefield have all said that its not a good idea. Damon thinks that its disrespectful to Timlin not to give him the chance to close and doubts that Schilling, with his being used to having a longer time to get loose, won't be able to do it effectively anyway. Wakefield figures that the staff needs protection in case anyone breaks down, but that's kind of a non-issue cuz you know that if anyone does get hurt, Schilling will go to the rotation ASAP. And Timlin opined that he doesn't think Schilling can make the adjustment to pitching back-to-back days or four times a week or whatever.

And in the meantime, Peter Gammons thinks that Schilling will be the closer down the stretch, that this is a more permanent move than they're saying right now. At least on the positive side, Smoltz said that he thinks Schilling will do a great job, and at least he's got some experience switching roles.

I'm still not sold on it, but I do prefer this experiment than a panic move like giving away some of their excellent prospects and overpaying to get some other closer.

Interesting news out of Boston: they've swapped utility infielders with the Indians, sending Ramon Vazquez, who couldn't clear the Mendoza line for Alex Cora, who at least has a career average of about .250.

But the more interesting news comes from the Hartford Courant, reporting that the Sox designated Jay Payton for assignment and called up Rule V draftee Adam Stern from Pawtucket. Payton was pretty vocal about wanting to play more and he is in his walk year so you can hardly blame him, but I didn't think they'd accomodate him given that he's an excellent outfielder and solid hitter, surely about the best fourth outfielder in the league. Great protection for Damon and Nixon, so why give him up?

The only positive is this Stern fellow, who as a Rule V player had to be either promoted to the big club or offered back to the Braves. Not sure if he's ready for the big leagues yet but I do remember that in spring training, he flashed some absolutely stunning speed, beating everyone including Damon to first base. So, I guess when we need another stolen base in the ninth when we're facing elimination, we know who will get the call. ;)

Dan,

Just consider yourself lucky that your boys have a farm system that allows them to play some mid-season games. My boys, as you know, have nothing. Also, regardless of how you feel about the Sox's use of Shilling, that's a nice option to have as well.

Up over and out.

Dan,

Just consider yourself lucky that your boys have a farm system that allows them to play some mid-season games.  My boys, as you know, have nothing.  Also, regardless of how you feel about the Sox's use of Shilling, that's a nice option to have as well.

Up over and out.

Oh, I totally agree, having Schilling as an option is a good thing. As I said above, I prefer this approach than overpaying in prospects for another closer. And as for the farm system, I believe we are just about ready to show the fruits of Theo's labor to create a top-tier player development system. Remember these names, you'll be seeing them in Fenway soon, likely before September: Dustin Pedroia, John Papelbon, Hanley Ramirez ... and there are many more behind them, but these are the three closest to the bigs.

I'm not sure that the Yanks farm system is barren. The problem is, they've exhausted the supply of guys who can actually help now. There are strong prospects at the lower levels, but its harder to turn those into the help the Yanks need right now, and they're not going to help the big club too soon either.

From ESPN.com Page 2:

THE 'NEW' GAMBLER

On a warm summer's evenin', in the Rangers clubhouse,

Everyone listened to Kenny, as he began to speak.

He said against the advice, of my legal counsel,

I'm here to tell you, that what I did was weak.

He said, guys I've made a livin' out of throwin' balls and strikes

Seriously, go ahead and Google it, I've been around here for years

And I know what I did, was totaly uncalled for

Basically what I'm saying, is it's a contract year.

So K-Rog continued to say, that he was really sorry,

And then for kicks, he pretended to almost cry

You could see he wasn't thinkin', about how he let the team down

But all the zeroes on the check, for those two camera guys.

You got to know when to put up, know when to shut up

Know when to walk away, know when to run

You never talk 'bout contracts when your team is 8 games out

They'll be time enough in August, when your season's done.

Now every veteran knows that the secret to survivin'

Is makin' your owner think, that you'd play for free

But if that that moron Hicks, could give A-Rod $250 million

Seriously, I'm I lefty, why can't he give ten to me?

So when he'd finished speakin', he said I know you're all real busy

If you think I'm takin' questions, you're as dumb as me.

And somewhere in Boston, Matt Clement will just keep waitin'

Until Kenny has the guts to say Detroit's just not for me.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...hilbrick/050707

:g

Now every veteran knows that the secret to survivin'

Is makin' your owner think, that you'd play for free

But if that that moron Hicks, could give A-Rod $250 million

Seriously, I'm I lefty, why can't he give ten to me?

Ain't it the truth? :g

Fuckin Mets. Blew a 5-1 game to the Bucs in the 9th inning to lose to 6-5. Poor base running cost them a run in the 8th inning. This has plagued them a lot lately. Then Braden fucking Looper proceeds to give up 4 runs in the 9th and a throwing error contributes to the Bucs 6th run. They're not ready for prime time. Maybe next year. :angry::angry:

Well, in case we didn't already know it, Kenny Rogers is a rich, spoiled, middle aged punk. :angry: See that the team also hasn't forced him to talk to the media anytime, anywhere....that should be part of the deal to stay with the Rangers....

Kenny Rogers ended the speculation Sunday night -- he's going to the All-Star Game. The left-hander told the Dallas Morning News he will participate Tuesday in Detroit.

"People are going to do whatever they are going to do," Rogers told the newspaper Sunday. "I'm going because I was voted in by the players and I earned it. I want the players to know their vote means a lot to me. I know how the players feel and if I thought it would benefit them if I didn't go, I wouldn't go."

Rogers told team officials that he wasn't speaking to reporters after the Rangers beat Toronto 9-8 in their final game before the break. The 40-year-old left-hander didn't respond when asked questions while walking out of the clubhouse.

Yeah, the Rogers Respect-o-meter took a nosedive this weekend, AFAIC! :angry:

And I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again: Francisco Cordero needs the ol’ HEAVE-HO!!! He escaped by the skin of his teeth yesterday, coming in with a two-run lead and leaving the tying run on third. I know it’s his job to keep ‘em from scoring, and I s’pose that, technically, he did just that. But hell, can he not get through an outing without giving up any runs? Good thing it was a two-run lead and nothing more, otherwise who knows how many innings it would’ve gone? Plus, if I was on the Rangers, I’d be calling for Cordero’s head on a platter for all the times the Rangers have gone into the ninth with a lead, only to see that lead evaporate because our so-called “closer” doesn’t know how to CLOSE IT!!! Hell, Saturday night was ulcer-inducing as it was (who’s bright idea was it to bring on Cordero with the bases loaded, anyway? That was a disaster waiting to happen, and it damn-near did!)

It’s getting to the point now that the only lead that is safe with the Rangers is a ten-run lead; and as Saturday night proved, even THAT might not be enough!!!

I swear, we have THE worst closer in baseball. Dan, y’wanna get rid of Foulke? Send him on down! I’d gladly give you Cordero for Foulke any day of the week!

:rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad::rmad:

Yeah, the Rogers Respect-o-meter took a nosedive this weekend, AFAIC! :angry:

I foggily caught a bit on last nites news of an interview with Wells talking about how Rogers got a raw deal with the cameramen. Seems they provoked the guy and unfortunately went schoolyard, just where they wanted him. Wells was dropping F-bombs about the press and the situation precisely pointing to a video clip of one of the punked cameramen 'winking' to the other that they had the goods on Rogers after his little tantrum. Kids.

Hey Dan G, bluesForBartok and all other members of Red Sox Nation:

What about that ending if you're a Yankee fan? Fenway Park, fans screaming as their pitching hero walks in to start the 9th inning of a tie game, and promptly proves he is far from being the closer you guys need. Sweet revenge for A-Rod to boot. Then Mariano stops the mock cheers forever with a blow 'em away vintage performance. It doesn't get any better than that!

What the hell, it's just one game. With our terrible pitching, we could lose the next 3 and I wouldn't be surprised one bit. But for one night, I'll take it and sleep rather well. -_-

I don't have HBO, so didn't see it, but I asked a friend of mine to tape it. When I was growing up in the '50's, I absolutely idolized Mantle. He's the main reason I'm a life long Yankee fan. I actually saw him play several times at old Comiskey Park in Chicago. Raw talent the likes of which I'm not sure has ever been seen in baseball before or since. If not for the injuries and the fast living, who knows what he might have done. When I was in Dallas several years ago, I went and stood on the driveway of the home he owned there. The number 7 was inlaid in the concrete. On the face of it, I know that doesn't sound like much, but it's something I'll never forget.

Up over and out.

God, it's painful to have to relive this. When we were kids, my twin brother and I had thousands of baseball cards we'd collected over the years. Lots of star cards, including, I'm sure, many of The Mick. When we got to high school, we stopped paying attention to them. I remember our Mom asking one day when she was doing some cleaning, if we ever planned on doing anything with the cards and if not, could she throw them out? In one of the worst decisions made in all of recorded history, my brother and I said, "sure, go ahead."

All I have now is a complete Yankees set from the Topps 1959 series including a Mantle card I got from someone on e-Bay. It's not in great shape because of a pin hole in the top, some creasing, 70/30 centering and fuzzy corners. It's a PSA 2. I don't care about the condition, though, because ultimately, I"m going to have this group of cards nicely framed and mounted. When that's done, the card's defects will mostly be masked.

How about you...any Mantle cards laying around? The '57 Topps is my favorite.

Up over and out.

Hey Dan G, bluesForBartok and all other members of Red Sox Nation:

What about that ending if you're a Yankee fan?  Fenway Park, fans screaming as their pitching hero walks in to start the 9th inning of a tie game, and promptly proves he is far from being the closer you guys need.  Sweet revenge for A-Rod to boot.  Then Mariano stops the mock cheers forever with a blow 'em away vintage performance.  It doesn't get any better than that!

What the hell, it's just one game.  With our terrible pitching, we could lose the next 3 and I wouldn't be surprised one bit.  But for one night, I'll take it and sleep rather well. -_-

Damn.

I was listening on the radio as I was painting trim mouldings and doors in my hallway. My stiff bristle brush even went flaccid.

I don't get this Schilling as closer thing. Let him get back his strength however long it takes. He's out of position here. It's a desperation move and one that needs some sort of transition to be effective. I would have waited until he's fully ready.

I don't get this Schilling as closer thing.  Let him get back his strength however long it takes.  He's out of position here.  It's a desperation move and one that needs some sort of transition to be effective.  I would have waited until he's fully ready.

When the cost for an Eddie Guardado is three of your top five prospects, you look around for alternatives. I don't know whether it works or not, obviously the first time was a flippin' disaster, but its obvious that neither Schilling nor management believe that he is anywhere near to being ready to have consistent command of his pitches for seven innings as a starter. But both seem to believe that for short periods of time, he can be effective.

If this experiment is an abject failure, you'll either see them go ahead and stretch him out for the rotation and move someone like Wakefield to the bullpen, or else make a deal for someone, but I'd rather go with what we have than give up any of our top prospects, all of whom have huge upsides.

Remember too that when Schilling had his surgery, it was supposed to take 18 months to regain full strength, and we're only at the 8 month mark now. Fact is, his ankle won't be completely back at 100% until 1/3 of the way through next season.