AOTW McLean 'Let Freedom Ring'

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest akanalog

i kind of agree that when i see billy higgins on a BN album it makes me sort of think to myself "oh, some rote BN hard bop". i mean in other contexts i like him and i like him on some BN stuff-including this AOW. i never love his work as i do that of other drummers. but as the sixties rolled on, i find his contributions do not draw me in as elvin jones or tony williams or even joe chambers (or ed blackwell or tootie heath or billy hart for that matter) might draw me in and get me to check out an album just to hear them.

The only drummer that really made me ever buy an album because of that drummer being present was Philly Joe. I have about 15 albums with him that I bought, all in a row, starting with Cool Struttin. It was the summer, and every week on Wednesday night, it was like me and dad's time to hang out, we would always go to Borders and I got bought one album a week, with Philly on it. Those were the days!

Pity Philly Joe & Jackie Mac only recorded twice together: Jackie's Bag and another title who's name escapes me at the moment.

COOL STRUTTIN'?

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Where do I hand in my jazz credentials? :winky::winky::winky::w

And HOW long have I been listening to jazz? What's the matter with me anyway? Sheesh!!!!!

First time I have read through the liner for this disc. He most certainly is a 'sugar-free' alto player :D , although he does play sweetly at times. I've always been a fan of McLean's sound from first hearing 4, 5 & 6. You can't think of other adjectives to describe it but the ones which are widely thrown at him; acidic, tart, bristling, acrid etc.

His takes on ballads have always been listenable and far from routine, which makes a change.

This album though, would have IMO, worked well as a trio date even. That is, without Jackie. Davis's solo on the first tune is wonderful and the rhythm section just burble, bubble and pop underneath. Not much 'bashing'. Not that I can hear anyway. You can't really get a crisper drummer than Higgins can you.

One good choice for AOTW.

Not a bad recording too. Given that a very bright RVG was recently issued of McLean's, I'm pleased that this version doesn't render his inherent 'brightness' totally atomic glare.

I only have the original domestic issue of this, which I got via a Columbia House order. I remember that at the time I was interested in his more adventurous stuff -- this one and Destination Out were the only ones available. I'm a big fan of Jackie's more extreme playing here; in fact, when I first heard Destination Out I was very disappointed that he was toning things down.

Billy Higgins is great here, as is Herbie Lewis. I'm indifferent to the piano player here, Walter whatever Jr. (can't remember whether it's Bishop or Davis). He plays pretty well (particularly on the first two tunes) but is a little too old-fashioned for the date. The last two tunes could have comfortably been tackled with a trio.

"Melody for Melonae" is my favorite Jackie tune -- Mingus influenced, I think, with the sequenced sections. The version of "I'll Keep Loving You" is beautiful. And the last two tunes are cool too. "Rene" has a bit of a Monkish flavor, while "Omega" is just set up perfectly with Herbie opening the melody before Jackie jumps in.

One last thing -- I really like Jackie's liner notes here. More albums should come with a mission statement. Mission accomplished!

Guy